Hispasat 30w in London Ontario

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nigel_miguel

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
Hello I'm trying to hispasat 1e 30 west in London Ontario Canada, is this possible? The calculator is saying 19 degrees elevation and 119 az.
Can I get this signal? If so, what size must my dish be?

Thanks for all ur help
Miguel

Hi Miguel
Yes you can,the signal is very strong in Southwestern Ontario.
You can do it even with a 33 ft dish but I recommend you do the 39 if you can. ALso use a PLL Ku LNB, it is not necessary but guarantees more stability specially with the Luz HD channel.

There use to be many more channels available in the past, some have dissapeared and some have been encrypted but still there are some intersting things over there. Cuba has a lot of channels and most of the time is not the boring political chat but american movies in english with CC in spanish

as long as you have line of site you should. I was able to get it in Minneapolis, MN (9 elevation) years ago

Im 100km from you and I get hispasat fine. I use a Starchoice 60e oval dish/LNB and get good signal. As long as you have a clear line of sight(no trees or houses) you'll be ok. It might be harder to find because it will be pointed in a drastically different direction than the other dishes in your neighbourhood

Comes in fine here* on a 70cm although I have a 1.2 meter 'stationed' there to avoid weather induced dropouts**. 6.4 degree elevation.
www.dishpointer.com - plug in your location, select satellite, zoom in to where to 'point'. Also has an Obstacle Tool to check 'line of sight' incursions.
* my location shown in upper right corner of post. **solid, usable signal, during our 8 inch snow and blow of the last day and a half.

Can get it here ok on a 36" dish & sg2100, weather dependant. Only a few degrees above the deck here so there is a lot of atmosphere to get through!

Don't give up on the 33" dish. Make sure you have line of sight to the sat. Did you look at Dishpointer.com to help you set the azimuth and elevation? Can you post the settings that are in the antenna setup menu?

You are in a strong signal footprint.
Here in Mississauga I'm having no problems with a 25" dish, really! Also 31" dish works great here.

You need to be very patient if this is your first install. Also have the receiver and monitor at the dish where you can see the effects of what you are doing. Make slow moves in 1mm increments, its that critical.

Now is not the best time of weather to be aligning a dish!

good luck.....

When you guys say line of sight.... I don't know if I have it or not. Signal meter tells me that there is something there but it's zero on the receiver. Any ideas?

Look in the direction that the dish is pointing to. Measure 20[SUP]0[/SUP] above the horizon, is there sky or some obstruction in the way?

Receiver LNB and transponder settings settings? Watching an active transponder in the tune up screen while tuning dish? If that's all correct, maybe:
something overlooked and hindering success.
When you're aiming the dish, make only small ( minuscule) adjustments to it, then wait around 10 seconds.
A 'Q'uality reading may take the receiver that long for it to 'lock on'. These signals are weak.
Aim dish to one side, then move it across the 'line' that www.dishpointer.com 'paints', in 'steps', with the dish set to the indicated elevation. (mount pole set as close to vertical as possible)
If nothing, raise or lower the dish 1/2 degree and repeat. Once 'Q' is shown, make even smaller adjustment to maximize.
Also there's 'skew'. Rule: if satellite is west of you, rotate the LNBF (Feed) indicated degrees* counterclockwise when facing the dish(Satellite to your back) East of you it's clockwise.
If you 'imagine' a clock face on the back of the LNBF, each hour = 30°.
* shown on the dishpointer.com page
30 inch dish worked well here but would loose signal during 'heavy weather'. Only 6.4° elevation to 30W

Have you set up a Linear dish before? You should catch this bird easy as long as there is nothing in the way.

What lnbf are you using? What receivers? The dish should be fine but you know what brand it is?

Look in the direction that the dish is pointing to. Measure 20[SUP]0[/SUP] above the horizon, is there sky or some obstruction in the way?

Measure 200??? It's at a side of my house and its pointing towards the neighbors corner of the roof. But my signal meter peaks and I still don't get any quality.

Nigel... have you ever used FTA before or are you setting it up for the first time? Also please reply with what receiver and LNB you have as well.

Cheers, K

PS- My first time, it took about 2 months to get anything.

If set up many FTAs. Viewsat ultra is my receiver and my Lnb is a linear one.

My setup is
Lnb is 10750
And I'm using the 12132 h 27500 transponder and its suppose to be a strong one

Maybe try a different satellite like maybe 72 deg AMC-6, it's just a touch east of streight south for you and has a couple of strong TPs; try 12052 V 6890. You should get a strong signal and usually something to watch in this 4 channel mux. Just to varify your setup is working properly...

Also I find 11884 V 27500 on 30w to be the strongest here. The others often are too weak due to atmosphere and other effects but I am much farther west and right on the edge of line-of-sight for this sat.

Also I find 11884 V 27500 on 30w to be the strongest here. The others often are too weak due to atmosphere and other effects but I am much farther west and right on the edge of line-of-sight for this sat.

Go with Cham's recommendation. 11884 is also very strong here. Its my choice for aligning 30w.

What kind of signal meter are you using?

Status
Please reply by conversation.