History Channel becoming more annoying?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
and that poster you could substitute something like it for
Game Show Network (we use to show old game shows but now its easier to show crappy shows we make for 50 cents an hour)
TV Land (we use to show old TV shows but now apparently showing 5 year old shows is considered "classic")
:)

You are sooooo right....

I watch it on Directv where I can DVR the shows and skip the commercials....but it gets annoying seeing people walk across the bottom of the screen and then a popup for their show. Sometimes the audio for the popup cuts out the audio on the show you're trying to watch

Yeah we know as example American Pickers is on History....do we need to be reminded when watching something else?
Last I checked I dont see a soap star walking on the bottom of the screen and letting me know Y&R is on when I'm trying to watch Price is Right

I SEE, you are paying to be annoyed! Different side of the coin. I forget there is TV besides FTA Satellite. I did not put my antenna back up after it came down this last time. Not worth the effort for 3 channels. AND the subscription Pizzas will not install for me without AC power. No 12 or 24 Volt input - I won't pay for it.

Oh, yes, and they do not like VoIP phones either!

I'm not paying specifically for History ;) And if you read my posts before the last one that it was more of a generalization of channels in general :).

Since History on FTA is 16:9 with black bars on top and bottom of the screen I refuse to watch it that way on my HDTV. I'll watch it in HD instead :)

The pop up ads really frost me.

You know, you have these Hollywood characters going to Congress telling them that it is an art form and that stealing content is just dishonest theft. Then you have various networks posting that incomplete disclaimer at the beginning "This movie has been edited for content, and to run in the time allotted" Then they add the pop ups.

They do not show pop ups in movie theaters. They pretty much don't edit for content or cut out scenes to run it in the time allotted.

What gives them the right to even call it by the same title?

Suppose you had the top of the Mona Lisa's head chopped off. Suppose you had an ad for Hot Pockets pasted on her bosom. Would that be the Mona Lisa?

Art form HA. I will treat it like an art form as soon as they do.

Taking that thought to the ultimate conclusion: we supposedly needed EXTRA copyright laws to cover digital content since digital modes enable the making of a perfect copy. HA! When both the resolution and the bitrate have been decimated from the original, it's not a copy, therefore I should be able to do whatever I want with it. But instead, my pizza DVR encrypts everything, even broadcast networks, denying me my right to make a copy for my own use.

JimS -great comments, thank goodness I got out of pizza tv before they had DVRs, not being able to save what I want from a paid-for device would surely have ended my contract. Oh, as for those runaway-self-promotions, TNT was doing that back when they were still available to purchase on c-band VC2. I still recorded a bunch of the X-Files shows there anyway, since they weren't squeezing the end credits, but it does annoy anybody trying to watch tv. I got so sick of the dingbat-detective they used to promote every 5min, that one with the fake southern accent, lol, running across the screen.

I watch it on Directv where I can DVR the shows and skip the commercials....but it gets annoying seeing people walk across the bottom of the screen and then a popup for their show. Sometimes the audio for the popup cuts out the audio on the show you're trying to watch
Cause and affect in the same sentence. This exactly why this technology came about. Thank your DVR for that.

Hey everyone gardenman2002 here.

I guess my point is its free. free fta. even with the on screen annoys that come across, i find it neat that one can buy their own receiver, dish or modify a pizza dish ,buy an lnb,some cable and fittings, behold!! free tv for one to enjoy. Price of system versus subscription to dish, directv is minimal. count how many filler channels are on your guide. You all are paying for infomercials and commercials. I have dropped dtv and the only pay system is 4dtv. Its great. encore,starz,and other channels if you want.but no filler channels.4dtv and my c band channels = about 250 to 300 channels. about 90 on 87 west cband rtv channels.Even with the commercials, the tv i get from fta is free. And im very grateful that they are all in the clear.I guess the old say goes like this." Your not thankful for what you have until its gone."

It seems that The History Channel has gone from telling history to making history. All of these current reality documentary's are documenting history being made. If they had only had a film crew with HD cameras when the hoover dam was being built...
So 100+ years from now people will be able to review history being made now in HD.

This is ~kindasorta~ in line with discussion, some people were talking about ads, some people talking about the little digital nonsense they put on the bottom of the videos.
Look at the next level they are taking things to now, they are digitally inserting "product placement" stuff into older videos.

Magazine With Ad For "Zookeeper" Digitally Inserted Into "How I Met Your Mother" Rerun - The Consumerist

Stuff like this is an outrage. Why bother to make videos with people anymore? Why not just make EVERYTHING with a computer?

I don't like the way things are going.. :(

It seems that The History Channel has gone from telling history to making history. All of these current reality documentary's are documenting history being made. If they had only had a film crew with HD cameras when the hoover dam was being built...
So 100+ years from now people will be able to review history being made now in HD.

I have original footage of The Armed Forces Radio and TV network, back when it went FROM AFRS to AFRTS, early 16mm in very nice quality from my Uncle's estate (he was Chief Engineer on Okinawa when TV came to AFRS) of things like early TV broadcasts, making of 16" discs, removal of the AFRS sign, etc... and neither the History Channel, nor TODAY'S AFRTS seems to care or want to archive it! Sad! And yes, History is getting annoying in "making" history. I'm sorry, but hunting alligators with people that need SUBTITLES for their English in America is going too far! History? the only thing that's "history" is the intent of the channel. History, Int'l continues to be more along its original intent.

This is the first time that I have heard of digitally inserted ads into programming. I normally might notice something like that in the background. I've never watched "How I Met Your Mother" but now I will be on the look out for it elsewhere.

I wonder how wide spread it is or how that legally fits into copyright infringement for financial gain? At some point would that added content be removed? In the past many products were displayed with the brands covered with tape. The first program I remember with obvious product placement was "Seinfeld". Everything in plain sight and facing the camera.

Back to the original post here, I never saw the blue #IRT popup again. But the other night at a relative's home they had the Animal Planet Channel on and during some Bigfoot hunting show they had a similar display on the screen. I guess my H2H sub shields me from many other popular channels with such tactics.

I was watching IRT & Swamp People last night and they had endless little "walk outs" for Only in America, American Pickers and Pawn Stars...

has some marketing genius done actual research that these tactics increase viewership? seems like it just cheeses everybody off

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts