Please reply by conversation.

wallyhts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
I have a feeling no. I don't think so perhaps just for head ends not sure.

Would be great if we could get channels from AMC 2.

Link to hits lineup AMC2 and AMC 18.

Digital Cable Programming Lineup | HITS

You are correct. No is the answer. The feeds on SES 1 (formerly AMC 2/4) are in combo mode which the 4dtv can't receive. Also the HD channels on AMC 18 are in combo mode and the 4dtv can't receive those either.

I guess WSNET back in the day was the one uplinking the channels HITs was not for the DSR-410.

Somewhat off topic, but related with respect to being another reason besides the combo mode which make some DCII signals not compatable with 4DTV and some other DCII receivers. I have run across a couple DCII muxes that have {encrypted} MPEG4 video on them.
I would think that this would make them unplayable via most DCII receivers as well, and since the uplinkers can squeeze twice as many channels on there if they use MPEG4, I would expect this to be the trend, making current DCII receivers even more obsolete.
I had also noticed a bunch of transponders listed in Lyngsat as being 8PSK/DCII on the Canadian sats. I had mistakenly assumed that I couldn't receive these, however I found that these transponders are turbo mode, and the Genpix with TSREADER tunes them fine. Of course everything on the 8PSK muxes are encrypted, but if they ever go FTA they can be received. But again, this is another mode that allows the uplinkers to squeee 50% more content on the mux, and it isn't 4DTV compatable.
So basically there are trends like this which are money related reasons why some of the companies putting some of these thing on sat may be unwilling to bother with 4DTV viewership, since they can reduce their sat costs significantly by going to modes not compatable with 4DTVs. If not now, certainly in the future.

Do you have the SkyWalker-1 or SkyWalker-2?
I'm using a Skywalker-1 with my laptop, but I think either should work the same.
I had just seen those DCII/8PSK entries on Lyngsat, and assumed that I couldn't do both 8PSK and DCII at the same time, but I decided to try with the Skywalker's turbo mode, and it worked fine. All the channels showed up being encrypted, but no problem tuning the mux. I'm guessing more and more of those Canadian things will go this 8PSK route. I think that FOX has been using DCII formats over DVB-S2, which is similar, and what made me try the Canadian signals.
I was really under the impression that you always needed a DCII receiver to lock DCII signals, but I guess that there are two aspects of DCII, one the DVB incompatable format used by normal DCII signals, but also the structure of the actual PIDs used, and apparently you can have DCII structured signals sent over regular DVB, DVB-S2 or turbo modes as well as the normal DCII mode we're familiar with.
Probably everyone else already knew this, but it surprised me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts