Hmc wiring question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rgregj

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
A dish technician came to my house today to upgrade to a hopper system. He informed me that I did not have 3ghz cable and he would have to go through some creative wiring. My house is 12 years old and though it was wired with rg6, but I didn't know that rg6 has different frequency ratings up to 3ghz which probably came later than when my house was built.

My question is whether I will have the same issue with the hmc system from directv?

What is an HMC system? I went to DirecTV's website and they don't seem to list this.

As far as RG6 goes, this is what all the current D* installs are using. Typically it is not the wire that is the issue, it is the connectors and splitters. Changing these out is no big deal on a D* install. The wire only becomes an issue if there is a sharp bend in the coax somewhere in the line.

I know nothing about Dish systems so I can't say if your installer was overstating a requirement or not.

HMC is Home media center. HR34 is what I meant. Depending on the frequencies where the communications happen, the wiring could be an issue. I do not know what the frequencies being used for the communication between the HR34 and other receivers, which is why I asked the question.

Thanks

HMC is Home media center. HR34 is what I meant. Depending on the frequencies where the communications happen, the wiring could be an issue. I do not know what the frequencies being used for the communication between the HR34 and other receivers, which is why I asked the question.

Thanks

Hello rgregj,

There are different types of rg6 cable. What the technician was most likely referencing was that your rg6 cable had the center conductor copper clad over steel. I have never seen this type of rg6 cable but I have heard of it has been used in the past and still might be used in the present. There is quad rg6 and other variants of rg6 cable. Your cables in the house may work. If they do not work then the cables will have to be replaced with ones that do. As BobStakesbary said replacing connectors and splitters is not difficult. Contact DirecTV and see if they will do the installation.

Well,

The Install is scheduled for this weekend, so I will let you know. Thanks for the information.

Technician came today and was able to use the existing wiring. My first use of the Home Media Center was to watch a football game. First in the bedroom, then downstairs in the family room. I believe I am going to love this.
Love the 5 tuners (my old system had one tuner for DVR), no more not telling the kids to not change the channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)