HN9000 Problem/Fix

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dirkleearm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Idaho
Thought I would start this thread for the new HN system to share problems and causes/fixes to help shorten the learning curve.

I had one yesterday that would not go past the probing stage. The signal when pointing was in the 170s, but halfway through provisioning would drop to ~140. After much to do, it turned out to be the TX causing the problem.

Had another one yesterday that clicking on "Activate Here" link came up with "invalid ESN" and would go no further.
I had to completely dump the modem and start over.
I had used the spare modem earlier to check low signal levels which apparantly caused the problem. So somewhere in the provisioning process the modem must transmit its ESN to hughes and activation looks for that ESN???

Had another one yesterday that clicking on "Activate Here" link came up with "invalid ESN" and would go no further.
I had to completely dump the modem and start over.
I had used the spare modem earlier to check low signal levels which apparantly caused the problem. So somewhere in the provisioning process the modem must transmit its ESN to hughes and activation looks for that ESN???

a modem will go thru a few steps after antenna pointing. first it downloads commissioning software, after that it downloads operational software, which im sure you know. but during the download it will transmitt its serial number to the noc, (registration process). once registered at the noc, it will then activate. so it sounds like the modem registered??? then you used it elsewhere. so it registered on 1 cell, then tried to activate on another cell. or serial number was looking to belong to someone else's account, or something screwy. basically with the 9k's if i even think ill have an issue, i deinstall it, then proceed.

Have you been having a problem with getting the DAPT to show signal? Mine would often times not show until I rebooted the modem. Yesterday It showed I had been through the sat on the laptop but not the dapt. After rebooting upteen times and still nothing, I tried the spare modem thinking it was just not communicating even though I could change from Long to Short. Still nothing. Switched back to original modem and then the laptop wouldn't even show signal. At this point I think its the DAPT and ordered a new one. Am I missing something?

Have you been having a problem with getting the DAPT to show signal? Mine would often times not show until I rebooted the modem. Yesterday It showed I had been through the sat on the laptop but not the dapt. After rebooting upteen times and still nothing, I tried the spare modem thinking it was just not communicating even though I could change from Long to Short. Still nothing. Switched back to original modem and then the laptop wouldn't even show signal. At this point I think its the DAPT and ordered a new one. Am I missing something?

I have had this problem before. simple fix. Hit the 3 button to go forward and then the back button. Even if you do not have signal you can do this and it will work.

never had it happen. much less ive never hit the filter either, i couldnt even describe what it does.

re: you question, the only thing i have had happen is ill point, pass it as i notice the max spiked, but nothing on current. pull it back a bit, and it will within a few seconds....pop up to a current sqf greater than 1. from that point forward there is no "lag" in the dapt.

Had a service call yesterday. DTV had done a upgrade ~ two weeks ago and the customer's HN no longer worked. Turned out they had swaped rx/tx in junction box. What confused me was I could not access the customers modem with 192.168.0.1
I was able to access it using 169.254.0.1
The modem took ~ 20 min to boot up to code 25. Do not know how long it has to have no signal to go to this state. Maybe one of you guys know? I know short term power cycling does not take it back to this state.

Had a service call yesterday. DTV had done a upgrade ~ two weeks ago and the customer's HN no longer worked. Turned out they had swaped rx/tx in junction box. What confused me was I could not access the customers modem with 192.168.0.1
I was able to access it using 169.254.0.1
The modem took ~ 20 min to boot up to code 25. Do not know how long it has to have no signal to go to this state. Maybe one of you guys know? I know short term power cycling does not take it back to this state.

dont you just LOVE it when other "techs" just start messing with things that arent thiers? but to the point......ive had 1 modem that got a little screwy on a repair. i installed it, left them with an sqf of 184 on a raven .74. 2weeks later......no sqf. i know i installed it properly, i cant recall the state code, i want to say it was low, maybe 3 believe it or not. so the only way i could get into it was to static 169.254.0.1. once i was in there, obviously i took care of the problem. which was fun to figure out on a state code 3. i threw my dapt in line, (having no sqf), marked the dish on the mast, swung that sob around for a good 15 minutes, nothing. put it back on the marks, with a new radio, bam......sqf skyrocketed. once i squinted, and went back in, the idu was operational after about 15-20 minutes.

What do ya'll think about this problem

My hn9000 has been great the last six months. When I got home from work friday morning, it had the system and receive lights flashing, lan and power lit steady, NO transmit flashing. Pulled the plug and rebooted modem, same deal. Couldn't get into the status page using the 192 address. Called tech support, and they gave me the 169 address to use. To make a long story short, the modem is at state 10, when I tell it to finish pointing, it brings up error code 10, Internal Server Error. Any tinkering I do to change anything brings up this message. I can't get it to do a hard reboot. I think my modems is screwed. There's a tech coming to look at it as soon as I call him back to set it up.

My system is fine, it's work great since it was installed. Signal strength is superb. I think I need a new modem, what do you professionals think.

My hn9000 has been great the last six months. When I got home from work friday morning, it had the system and receive lights flashing, lan and power lit steady, NO transmit flashing. Pulled the plug and rebooted modem, same deal. Couldn't get into the status page using the 192 address. Called tech support, and they gave me the 169 address to use. To make a long story short, the modem is at state 10, when I tell it to finish pointing, it brings up error code 10, Internal Server Error. Any tinkering I do to change anything brings up this message. I can't get it to do a hard reboot. I think my modems is screwed. There's a tech coming to look at it as soon as I call him back to set it up.

My system is fine, it's work great since it was installed. Signal strength is superb. I think I need a new modem, what do you professionals think.

honestly, id have to monkey with it for a few before i started throwing parts at it. they are still a little bit new to "have some educated answers" on repairs. for example we had a repair come in on a 2week old install.....green system light and state code 30 (too many bad frames) can browse, with an sqf of 178 and power word 32 ?!?! obviously installation-wise its completely to spec. so im waiting to hear whats up with that.

Did your order come to us or Qualixserv? Basically I think your dish will just need to be repointed with the DAPT and the values stored again "that little red meter not sure you saw it when we set the system up". Should not take over 15 mins. Not sure why it would loose those values but if it does not retake the values and store them then the modem is bad.

Edit: just checked our site and we do have your order. PM me and I can set something up this weekend if that works for you.

Did your order come to us or Qualixserv? Basically I think your dish will just need to be repointed with the DAPT and the values stored again "that little red meter not sure you saw it when we set the system up". Should not take over 15 mins. Not sure why it would loose those values but if it does not retake the values and store them then the modem is bad.

Edit: just checked our site and we do have your order. PM me and I can set something up this weekend if that works for you.

the only way the values would be gone is if the idu was deinstalled....so how'd that happen?

the only way the values would be gone is if the idu was deinstalled....so how'd that happen?

Not sure. Unfortunately Spartan was not available this weekend and I will be out of town the day he is so I will not be the one that goes back out so maybe when he does get it fixed he will let us know.

Yeah, I am working all weekend, so Tuesday was the first day that I could wait around for the guy to come work on it. Hate you won't be the one up here Tuesday Tate, cause I know you are good with the system...

As soon as he gets things running, I'll post and let ya'll know what the problem and fix was. The more we know about the problems and fixes for the hn9000, the better off we can all be.

As an aside, all the people that complain about Hughesnet being slow, let me tell ya, I turned back on my dial up account to get me thru till I'm back up on spaceway, and I forgot how slow things are. It's so horrible, if sat is all that is available for broadband, people should jump on board, if they can swing they service fees. But if people don't, thats just more bandwith for us :D I have not regretted signing up with hughesnet once.

I'll be back Tuesday....

FIXED....

Well, looks like it was the modem after all. The installer hooked into the dish, and tried to repoint. Modem wouldn't take data. New modem set up correctly. Problem is solved. I just hope this going to happen again.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen.:up

OK, I got one for you, I got a HN9000s that when hooked to sat. it goes to blinking red light. I disconnect from Sat. and modem goes back to green power and modem and blinking systemindicator. Figure that one out. I am going back tomorrow to look at it.

OK, I got one for you, I got a HN9000s that when hooked to sat. it goes to blinking red light. I disconnect from Sat. and modem goes back to green power and modem and blinking systemindicator. Figure that one out. I am going back tomorrow to look at it.

Check which cable is the one giving you problems. Usually is the TX cable. Disconnect the TX cable, check voltage and see when disconnected in the radio and connected in the modem if the light still is red. If not the radio needs to be replaced. If the light still red check the cables.

I hope this will help you

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)