hns 9k signals?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
syracuse, ny
hey tate- (or whoever else has done any hn9k betas)-

just out of curiosity, what kind of sqfs have you gotten on the ka? up here in ny, pa area ive maxed out at 186. again just curious. thanks

wad

im still undecided. i mean, once you get used to cross pol, you understand it, you build your dish according to what bird your hitting, point, run ifl, commission. if cross pol fails or is really low, you peak it.....what 3-5 minutes including getting out of the chair and going to the dish.

so, ill give squinting a chance, ask me again in a few months. HOWEVER, I SEE A HUGE ISSUE with non pens on flat roofs. we both know flat roofs are not flat. they are pitched for drainage, thus you RARELY have a plumb mast. as critical as the plumb mount is for ka, i know we will have issues. in addition, for ku, same situation, i will find the satellite, pull my polarity down to zero out polarity (using a level held across bottom of .98 or 1.2m). then adjust it according to how far off zero it really is, to set my polarity for that particular bird.
seldom do i have to go back out and adjust it. i KNOW this will not work out well for the ka. in just messing around, i set one a degree lower that what it called for, and when squinting, you basically couldnt do it. youd get azimuth, lose elevation, get elevation, lose azimuth, and back and forth. and that was jut 1 degree off! imagine a "flat roof" with a few degree pitch?????

One of my installs I actually had a mast that was a 1/4 of a bubble off which is usually no problem, it actually took me about 10 mins just to find signal when on a KU it normally takes me under 2. It is amazing at how sensitive this system is.

Just for example for anyone who has not handled one. Say if you could measure the signal of a KU system in inches the KA system would be measured in millimeters. Therefore a 1/4 turn of a wrench when fine tuning could be the difference in 1 or 2 points on a KU would be 20 - 50 points on a KA. In squinting which is blocking out half of the signal on both sides of the azimuth and elevation the two values have to be within 15 points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)