HOA Issues FTA OTARD Single Family Home

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just an update (10/9/09). All is well with my new FTA setup. I got the 7ft pole in 4ft of ground with 4x50lb bags of Sackrete (hurricanes beware). I just purchased the Nfusion HD unit and am waiting for it to arrive. Since I have a GE Connection Center upstairs in the master bedroom, I plan to run wires so I can watch FTA is other rooms. The HOA has been silent (and pleasant) since the initial OTARD conflict. Yes to all...OTARD is your tool to FTA in restricted HOA areas. I wonder if my neighbors will begin to follow my FTA path? Pictures soon to follow.

Question: Will the OTARD rules protect me if I choose to use a "portable" 6ft+ dish? I think Iceberg did this at one time. A dish that I can place in my back yard (temporary, not permanent). Are there significant advantages to a larger dish (BUD)? Forgive me for asking, but I find FTA fascinating.

OTARD rules won't protect you, but if you only move it out temporarily , and then move it back in again, you might avoid any complaints. I'd be tempted to put in a 4 foot mini-BUD . It gets a good number of channels, and might be mistaken for a 1.0M dish. Iceberg has a "ghetto moved" 6 footer, and that would certainly be an option for you.
:)

I have a fixed 6 foot dish at 99W on my deck...I also have a 6 footer that I move out of my garage for the western satellites

Being president of the HOA I took their (the HOA) rule that says the dish must be either on the deck or on the edge of the roof and put the dish on the deck.

The ghetto moved one the old president use to question it. I said "its in front of my garage and its less than one car deep (per there rule you can park a car one deep in front of the garage). So if I put a car there or a dish whats the difference? You have your car parked in front of your garage and its blocking the view from the road so nobody can see the dish :)

Now they dont care. :)

I have a fixed 6 foot dish at 99W on my deck...I also have a 6 footer that I move out of my garage for the western satellites

Being president of the HOA I took their (the HOA) rule that says the dish must be either on the deck or on the edge of the roof and put the dish on the deck.

The ghetto moved one the old president use to question it. I said "its in front of my garage and its less than one car deep (per there rule you can park a car one deep in front of the garage). So if I put a car there or a dish whats the difference? You have your car parked in front of your garage and its blocking the view from the road so nobody can see the dish :)

Ok. Before I go to that level, I wonder if I can receive N and E sats? I'm in SW FL near Naples. I think I could do the same as Iceberg, but would like info on whether or not I can receive additional sats with a 6ft mobile unit from my location. I'm sure if I placed it in my driveway, someone *will* say something. At this point there are no policies addressing a non permanent sat dish. In addition, I plan (In the near future) to place a 6ft dish near the future pool which has a cage figuring that it is enclosed (top screen missing for the dish). Just looking at options. Suggestions?

You coulda mounted the dish on the roof of the car you park there! :D Then they really couldn't say anything. An az-el hoop mount would have worked, if you used the proper bolts!

Additional OTARD Question 12/6/09

I just mounted the 100CM dish in the back yard and just realized (my error) that it is 39x43. I looked online and found the following at the FCC website. Any thoughts regarding #2? Just curious if anyone would go as far as to have me remove it over an inch or two. If needed, I will sell it locally and get the 90CM. Although I am in favor of OTARD, however, I'd like to avoid conflict with my community members

What types of antennas are covered by the rule?
A: The rule applies to the following types of antennas:
(1) A "dish" antenna that is one meter (39.37") or less in diameter (or any size dish if located in Alaska) and is designed to receive direct broadcast satellite service,
including directtohome
satellite service, or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals via satellite.
(2) An antenna that is one meter or less in diameter or diagonal measurement and is designed to receive video programming services via broadband radio service (wireless
cable) or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals other than via satellite.
(3) An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals. Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements.
In addition, antennas covered by the rule may be mounted on "masts" to reach the height needed to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal (e.g. maintain line ofsight
contact with the transmitter or view the satellite). Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements for safety purposes.
Further, masts that extend beyond an exclusive use area may not be covered by this rule.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts