Hobby Installer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Does anyone do or know anyone that installs FTA setups for a hobby and to make some side cash?

I was talking to some people about FTA at a party last night and they all were interested in feeds and what not but it occurred to me that here in my town (living in the bible belt that is) there are tons and tons and tons of people who would want the free religious programming. Besides that we have a big Arabic population here too who would probably like to see some of the Farsi channels.

Has any one ever done this or had a friend that has to tell me if it worth the while or not? I was thinking with the state of the economy people could do without 200 channels of garbage from the big providers and cable cos and save them selves a hundred bucks a month. Or some might just want it as an addition to watch stuff from their home country.

I've thought about the same thing myself. Apparently one can become a dealer for different religious FTA packagers (Glorystar, Spiritcast, etc.) and we also have SkyAngel IPTV which also has a reseller program. I'd be curious to here what others might have to add on the subject.

I wouldn't want to become a deal for anyone of those per say, but the programming on 97 fro religion and international programming, amc 4 international programming and g10r (i know its g18 but refuse to call it that) for the networks ya know what i mean?

also if anyone has done this or has any ideas, what would be the best way to advertise something like this, cost effectively

thanks will check that out

says 12 in my area but only 2 have area codes from here on their number, i think theres a lot of spam going on there :(

You can list yourself on there if you like & find out how much business there would be in your area.
Bob

some suggestions

I'd consider several packages.

For those wanting feeds only, ya might offer the high-end motorized system.
That'd be more trouble for you to install, align, and service in the future.
I would put it well down on my brochure, and for considerably more money.

For the Bible Belters or Farsi Followers, you might have a fixed dish at lower cost.
That system would be easier for you to install, and less trouble to maintain.
It (perhaps in a couple of variations) would go at the top of the brochure.
Actually, the Glorystar guys have a good idea with a pre-configured Mercury II.
You might look into that for the 'Belters.

BUT in all cases, a place you could really make more scratch, is in the 2nd receiver add-on.
I'd consider that up-sell to be the most appealing from a business standpoint.
Use dual output LNBs, and then two receivers would be a slam-dunk.
Adding a 2x4 MultiSwitch would expand that to four receivers at little extra expense to you.
(obviously more coax, but that's quick 'n cheap)

The other thing I'd do is work out various multi-LNB setups.
Pick desirable satellites to bundle, and document (maybe pictures) on your brochure, the configurations.
There's plenty of documentation in the Switches FAQ for single and multi receiver hookups, easily out to eight LNBs.

edit: if you're really serious, you might call up Brian at SatelliteAV or Jamal at Sadoun and see how they could help.
You could become a dealer for both, buying in quantity and reselling to your customers.

olliec420

What you are proposing is an excellent income generating idea for someone interested in tapping this hanging fruit market. The religious, Arabic, and Farsi markets are great niche to get into.

I would highly recommend people looking for a job or want to start a money making hobby to tap that market. You could start slow (1-5 systems a week) and then grow your business.

Not only you will make on the equipment (by buying it wholesale from Sadoun or satelliteAv), but also, you will make good money on the installation fee. Believe me, this will beat any average job out there. Plus, you are your own boss.

How to advertise? Start with your immediate community, friends, family, and church. Buy advertising in church or ethnic newspapers/newsletters in your area.

Educate people about Free To Air TV and what is available to them. Go to a Kiwanis, Rotary, or what have you club, and be a guest speaker. Tell them about the savings, programs available, the hobby aspect of it, and the joy of being free.

Check your network group on facebook. Join a group that have members from your city. Introduce yourself and what you do. Don't SPAM. Just participate and be a good member.

There are other networking groups that you can join. Such as the monthly meetings at the chamber of commerce, etc.

If there are any religious or ethnic conventions, be there. Advertise in their flyers, announcement, or even setup a booth there and show your products.

I hope I gave you some ideas to get you or others on this board started. In fact I will even post this same post on sadoun.net for others to benefit.

Thanks for all the great info guys! I think i might put up some ads on craigslist and maybe in some of the local classifieds and see what turns up.

Anole your dead on about all those ideas thanks!

I bought emeraldcoastsatellite.com so i will probably put all that info there. Maybe even make a spot where people could donate money to help out less fortunate people who cant afford TV. Like in that story that one of the members wrote (i cant remember who) but where the gentleman had setup a FTA on g10r for the folks that had the sick child and couldnt afford cable.

I have also been thinking of offering Installation for FTA to may existing customers. I have and alarm company, and alot fo ethnic customers ( C store owners mostly). Does anybody have an idea of what people are charging for a basic 1 room FTA install. I've been considering this for some extra revenue.

Another marketing angle perhaps....

What about offering the Glorystar package as a Fundraiser for churches? The church could sign up as an affiliate and recv the affiliate fee for each system sold. Additionally, you could offer Installation services and donate $25 of each install to the church. I would think the church would promote this for free and members could reduce the monthly cost of cable/dtv. You could also install OTA for the members so they would have local programming.

I signed up on the SA site for installer referall, however I have not looked into the Glorystar set up. I will take a look at it today. There were only three people listed in the State of Oklahoma. I would like to do some of the installs. Sometimes it is fun to do different things for a change of pace.

I thought about installing systems on my street for my neighbors.
After making non-stop tweaks to my system, I've had second thoughts.

I already have a job. When their systems need tweaking or fixing, or suddenly go down, the last thing I want is an angry neighbor calling me at midnight to come over and fix it.

I have no problem helping a neighbor install a system, but they will have to learn how to maintain it. :rolleyes:

I thought about installing systems on my street for my neighbors.
After making non-stop tweaks to my system, I've had second thoughts.

I already have a job. When their systems need tweaking or fixing, or suddenly go down, the last thing I want is an angry neighbor calling me at midnight to come over and fix it.

I have no problem helping a neighbor install a system, but they will have to learn how to maintain it. :rolleyes:

ahhh so true as well. well since it is a FTA system and there is no tech support line and monthly fees it would be only right that they paid again for technical problems. fixed systems for ethic chans and religious stuff may be the best way to go. setup once, and should be done there ya know.

Does anybody have an idea of what people are charging for a basic 1 room FTA install. I've been considering this for some extra revenue.

On Craigslist in the SF Bay Area I see a number of ads for installers. Here is a sample of one list of prices.

Repoint ONLY - $60
Mount Mast & Point Dish - $80
Mount Mast & Point Dish & Run 1 Line - $100
Additional Line Run - $20
Out of County Trip Fee (per county outside of Santa Clara) - $30

This seems fairly reasonable for an end user. Considering some travel time and maybe a 1.5 hours to mount a fixed dish and run a cable that is about $50/hour if all goes well.

This person didn't mention Dish either, so that is a plus. :)

Even though you may know what you're doing and be good at it, if you really want to get into it make sure you carry liability insurance. Don't know about other states, but mine's less than $400 a year. A little expense and I've never had to use it, but it only takes one time and one customer and you could be hung out to dry without it.

good point on insurance didnt think about that. what could go wrong do you think where you would need that? pole, dish up, cable, grounding block, connect to tv, what can happen? not doubting you just looking for a scenario

good point on insurance didnt think about that. what could go wrong do you think where you would need that? pole, dish up, cable, grounding block, connect to tv, what can happen? not doubting you just looking for a scenario

Here's an example....

New home with an electrical problem noone knew about until sat was installed and grounded.....
Vinyl siding starts melting off the house! Homeowner freaks and starts calling everyone. Luckily the builder was a stand up guy and agred that the home had an electrical problem. He and his electrician found the problem and repaired all the damage, but it could've been ugly!

Oh and roof installs over a living space that develop a leak come to mind as well.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)