OTHER New To The Hobby

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Well it could be one of several things or a combination. What are the specs on the LNBF? Did you set the LO in the receiver to match?
Do you have a good known freq. programmed in to use for aiming? 12152 H 20000 is a good for G19.
Then there is the matter of the dish. If you are retro fitting a dish, you have to make sure the new LNBF is setup in the exact same spot as the one you removed or you can just about forget it.

Another thing to know is if you are using the receiver to align the dish and a TV set, you have to make really slow and methodical movements. It also has to be aligned dead on. This is not like terristrial OTA, where as long as you are in the general direction you will be fine. Satellite is much different. You are trying to hit an antenna that is over 22,000 miles away.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Well it could be one of several things or a combination. What are the specs on the LNBF? Did you set the LO in the receiver to match?
Do you have a good known freq. programmed in to use for aiming? 12152 H 20000 is a good for G19.
Then there is the matter of the dish. If you are retro fitting a dish, you have to make sure the new LNBF is setup in the exact same spot as the one you removed or you can just about forget it.

Another thing to know is if you are using the receiver to align the dish and a TV set, you have to make really slow and methodical movements. It also has to be aligned dead on. This is not like terristrial OTA, where as long as you are in the general direction you will be fine. Satellite is much different. You are trying to hit an antenna that is over 22,000 miles away.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Thank You for the welcome and info. I have been working on this for some time. I have finally decided to come to satellite guys for advice. As far as setting up the LNBF, i am using a direct tv slimline dish. I calculated the focal length for the dish and found some signal about 42 cm from the center point of the dish. It has to be the same angle of the old LNBF doesnt it? I am going to move the LNBF back to the original spot the original location is just to see if reception improves. I got very low quality from the 42 cm point. Could you explain skew better to me? I was informed from dishpointer to turn the skew 21.9 degrees. Looking from the back of the dish, it would be a counter clockwise direction. Am i correct in this? My location is High Shoals, NC 28077. Any info or suggestions are appreciated.

Looking from the back of the dish, skew rotation is clockwise. The skew on my fixed dish for 97W is about 21° CCW looking from the front, adjusted for the strongest signal using my meter.

I an new to this hobby as well, i have the vs pro veiwsat convertor box, a ku lnb i got off ebay, and an old direct tv satellite dish. I am having a hard time locating signals from Galaxy 19. Is the problem the dish?

Not sure what DirecTV dish you're using. I was wondering if that particular dish has the adjustment ring on the rear on the dish. I have several DirecTV dishes that were used for internet and when I set mine up for Galaxy 19, I set the adjustment to zero and then set the skew at the LNBF.

This makes it easier to locate the signal. I am not familiar with the Viewsat receiver, but in the setup menu, there should be a signal meter showing the signal level and quality. Once you get the Lo frequency set, you should be able to play with the elevation and azimuth to find the signal.

It's also a good idea to program in the 12152 H 20000 information KE4EST gave you before starting the process so you have an active channel to work with. If you still have the old LNBF that was on the dish, you could stick it back on, and then take some measurements to see what the focal distance was on the primary LNBF in order to know where to set the new one.

I also measured from the mounting arm to the center of the LNBF to make sure the new one is properly mounted to get the best signal. This way you have the focal distance and how far the center of the old LNBF was from the mounting arm to have two measurements to work with.

Once you get the first one going, the next one will be a lot easier.

Last edited:
Not sure what DirecTV dish you're using. I was wondering if that particular dish has the adjustment ring on the rear on the dish. I have several DirecTV dishes that were used for internet and when I set mine up for Galaxy 19, I set the adjustment to zero and then set the skew at the LNBF.

This makes it easier to locate the signal. I am not familiar with the Viewsat receiver, but in the setup menu, there should be a signal meter showing the signal level and quality. Once you get the Lo frequency set, you should be able to play with the elevation and azimuth to find the signal.

It's also a good idea to program in the 12152 H 20000 information KE4EST gave you before starting the process so you have an active channel to work with. If you still have the old LNBF that was on the dish, you could stick it back on, and then take some measurements to see what the focal distance was on the primary LNBF in order to know where to set the new one.

I also measured from the mounting arm to the center of the LNBF to make sure the new one is properly mounted to get the best signal. This way you have the focal distance and how far the center of the old LNBF was from the mounting arm to have two measurements to work with.

Once you get the first one going, the next one will be a lot easier.
Wvman, what part of WV you from? I am from there as well. Oceana is my hometown.

Looking from the back of the dish, skew rotation is clockwise. The skew on my fixed dish for 97W is about 21° CCW looking from the front, adjusted for the strongest signal using my meter.
Thank you. I have been having difficulty with this. Some websites are contradictory about which way to turn from whichever direction. So I have been turning backwards this whole time.