Hockey game may be played outdoors.

cybok0

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Sha Ka Ree.
Pens' outdoor game may be played in February

A proposed outdoor hockey game involving the Penguins and Buffalo Sabres could be played Feb. 17, 2008, rather than New Year's Day.

The Penguins are scheduled to play twice in Buffalo this season, once Jan. 1 and again Feb. 17. Each game is scheduled to be played at HSBC Arena and start at 1 p.m., but the Feb. 17 contest will be played on a Sunday -- an ideal slot for NBC to televise an outdoor game, given that major sporting competition would be limited to the NBA and college basketball.

Buffalo is scheduled to play only four Sunday home games this season -- two in February. Only the game against the Penguins is scheduled for 1 p.m. (The Sabres will play host to Florida at 7 p.m. Feb. 10.)

If the NHL decided to move the Feb. 17 game outdoors, the contest likely would be played at Ralph Wilson Stadium. One possible drawback to this scenario is that Buffalo is scheduled to play in New York against the Rangers at 1 p.m. Feb. 16.

Pens' outdoor game may be played in February - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

This should be fun to watch, might have to take a drive up to Buffalo to watch this.:D

Interesting, hope it's cold up there for the game otherwise they will have problems keeping the ice frozen.

I know it usually is cold enough at this time of year, but you never know

Novelty at best right now. Michigan/Michigan st. (the Cold War game) played an outdoor game and it was a great time. It reminded me of a football game and people were insane, but I bet most didn't watch another game that year.

I would love to see the NHL do the All-Star game outside though, just to give it a try and see how it goes.

Edit:

Here's a link to one of the articles on the game
USATODAY.com - Outdoor hockey game may start new trend

Interesting, hope it's cold up there for the game otherwise they will have problems keeping the ice frozen.

I know it usually is cold enough at this time of year, but you never know

Yeah wouldn't that be something, they get a 50 degree day just on that day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)