hole drilling question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rookie installer

Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Hello all,

I was wondering about drilling holes through a wall to route the cable into the room? If I see a couple of electrical outlets on the wall I'm going to be drilling through - at what location should I drill my hole so I don't hit an electrical line? What is the electrical code for running the electric wires to each outlet? Should I drill a hole a few feet away directly parallel to the middle of the outlets or slightly below/above the outlets?

Thanks for your input - I've heard horror stories of people hitting electrical lines while drilling.

Thanks

go 3" below. a little trick, go thru the plaster or whatever, when you enter the hollow cavity, stop the drill, push the bit all the way to the outer wall and start it again. one more trick, use a masonary bit, it wont cut romex as easily as a wood bit.

Don't forget to check for sprinkler heads, too. The installer who did my apartment hit mine, and the property maintenance guys knew of no way to turn the line off. The fire department came, etc... Big mess you'll definitely want to avoid.

rookie,

one more thing, if they have hot water heating, have them sign a release.

and dont use silicone to seal the holes, it looks like CRAP, use the white or black pass thru bushings.

rookie installer said:
Hello all,

I was wondering about drilling holes through a wall to route the cable into the room? If I see a couple of electrical outlets on the wall I'm going to be drilling through - at what location should I drill my hole so I don't hit an electrical line? What is the electrical code for running the electric wires to each outlet? Should I drill a hole a few feet away directly parallel to the middle of the outlets or slightly below/above the outlets?

Thanks for your input - I've heard horror stories of people hitting electrical lines while drilling.

Thanks

Use a stud finder with an electrical wire locator setting on it.

EEJay said:
Don't forget to check for sprinkler heads, too. The installer who did my apartment hit mine, and the property maintenance guys knew of no way to turn the line off. The fire department came, etc... Big mess you'll definitely want to avoid.

The only apartments that let us drill holes around here are the no frills welfare kind. They don't even have sheet rock, much less sprinklers. My masonry bit is barely long enough to get through the ones that have real bricks backed by cinder blocks. Most are just blocks, and a lot of the electrical is in conduit outside the wall. Easy money.

reminds me of some very rural WV trailers,,,,,,,,,,i dont give a rats beeehind where you mount that sateeelite, just get me some teeeeveee........YES MAAM;)

dragon002 said:
reminds me of some very rural WV trailers,,,,,,,,,,i dont give a rats beeehind where you mount that sateeelite, just get me some teeeeveee........YES MAAM;)

I love these!! why dont they spend the money for D* on a new house? I am sure the D* bill is more than the payment on their "house" from the local buy here pay here trailer dealer!

damaged said:
Think of it this way, if they are watching TV, that means they aren't breeding! ;)

they breed like rabbits, out of the same gene pool!!

and they are down to earth godly people.

i have "family" in WVa and they call our swimming pool a "suwming hole"

what do you call a 16 year old girl in WVA that is still a virgin?

a girl that can outrun here brother!

My parents live less than 15 min from WVa so we here all these jokes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)