Hole size for new C-band mast?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

transco

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I am installing my second C-band dish (Channel Master 6363, 4 panel, 10' mesh)) at ground level. I'm no longer able to climb ladders and wanted a ground level dish I could use to test LNB's, etc. The above ground portion of the mast will be 4 feet long (3.5" dia.). Assuming the mast will be buried in concrete with no other support, what would you suggest as far as hole diameter and depth. The soil here is very solid and requires a pickax to remove. Needless to say, I don't want the hole any larger than necessary.

Last edited:
I have similar soil (it's like digging in a rock pile) and my hole is 3'w x 3'w x 3.5'deep (frost line).

I have similar soil (it's like digging in a rock pile) and my hole is 3'w x 3'w x 3.5'deep (frost line).
Wow! That's 31.5 cubic feet of cement. I had no idea it would take so much. My current dish is a 10' Orbitron flange mounted to the deck with a support mid mast bolted to the house.

3 x 3 feet should not be necessary for the average 10 foot mesh antenna,
especially if it is going on a mast in the 4 foot above ground range.
Typically we used to recommend an 18 inch round opening at top of hole, rounding out the bottom to 24 inches wide to create a bell shape for weighting purposes. At 42 inch depth, you could normally get by with 8 to 10 60-pound bags of cement. Add a couple of inches of pea gravel to bottom of hole for drainage.

(Ex Orbitron Technical Staff)

I should have mentioned that I live in a windy area. We regularly get significant wind burst so a substantial base is a must.

I'm only concreted in the ground a foot with my 8.5 foot Birdview, although I have attached it pretty securely where it goes through my eaves. It's not hollow either. I filled it with conrete and have ten feet of rebar in it with the bottom foot bent like an "L" and concreted in. I live in a windy canyon too.

What I've done is to not tighten down too awfully tight on the dish to mast bolts. I have marked the position on both, so if the wind blows it off alignment, the dish and mount will turn, but the mast won't twist in the footing. Then, when the wind dies down, I can go to the roof, loosen the bolts and turn the dish and mount until my markers line up again.

That all said, it hasn't happened, but if it does, I'm ready.

I bet if you went down 2 feet and there were rocks exposed, and you had two bent rebars out the bottom, and you filled up the mast with concrete, you could do it with three or four bags of ready mix concrete.

Good luck.

I am an overkill kind of guys but my 10' mesh is 7' above ground with 4' in ground and 18" diameter hole full of cement. No problems ever - we have had 70 mph winds this year during a bad storm.

I've had gusts to 45. Pixellates some during, but after it dies down it's back and aimed on the money.

It's easy to lose ku on windy days with a big dish. the tight beamwidth makes move off sight of the satellite easily with pole flex.

Interesting and valuable thread. I plan on growing a BUD by the end of the year.
Normally, I'd assume there was something on the Geo Orbit site, if I were in need.
Think I have a few other BUD-only web sites bookmarked, too.

I'd been thinking about a non-penetrating roof mount, on the ground, for a 6' that might come my way.
But an 8' or a bigger BUD would prove a similar problem as the OP.

No real way to brace to the house, no real urge to get roof-high to work on it, either.
Will have to look around and see what I can find that might stick up six feet.
With 5..6 feet in the ground, in a 14" hole filled with cement, does that sound like enough for something as ugly as a Birdview 8½' solid, or a Paraclipse 10' or 12' mesh?

Looks like Mike was recommending 4' hole for 4' height, 18" diameter with a 10' mesh.
Truckracer's numbers are 4' down, 7' up, 18", and 10' dish.
I think I can live with those sort of suggestions. - thanks - :up

I plant all my 8' dish poles in a 3x3x4 foot hole with welded angle iron brackets on the bottom part and my 10' is in a 4x4x4 hole. I think it easier to do it right the first time than having to try and repair problems later on, so I do over engineer, my TV tower is 40' and is in a 4x4x6 foot hole. Now I do mount my dishes on 10-11 foot poles with 4 feet in the ground, with the snow, ice and strong winds here in Iowa and also being on a hill it seem like the right thing.
For you its really is going to depending on the height and where you live and the type of weather and load the dish may see. If you area is prone to wet ground you also need to consider that in what you need , and you can read different articles on the size of hole that a 10' dishes needs. A satellite book I have goes with the smaller hole 18-24" while a dish manufacture goes with the bigger hole.
Also with a 10' dish I would only go with a 4" schedule 40 pipe in my opinion....the 10' dishes I have gotten all take a 4 inch pipe.

The main thing you just don't what it to move.

A way to help stabilize the pole and stiffen it is to pour concrete down the inside of the pipe. Use a long rod or stick to help tamp it. At the top just make sure you don't dome it or the mount won't sit flush on it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)