Holliday or Halladay?

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
All things being equal, who would you rather add to your team, Matt Holliday or Roy Halladay?

Sandra

Depends on the need of the team. For the Dodgers, it would definitely be Halladay as they need an ace pitcher that can save the bullpen from overuse and they do not need yet another outfielder.

All things being equal, who would you rather add to your team, Matt Holliday or Roy Halladay?

Sandra

Everything being equal, I would prefer the Sox to have Halladay.

HOWEVER, the Sox need an upgrade offensively (even after the additions of Adam LaRoche and Chris Duncan) MUCH MORE than starting pitching.

I should have worded this differently. Based on the responses so far, can anyone think of a team that would be better off with Matt Holliday than Roy Halladay?

Sandra

I should have worded this differently. Based on the responses so far, can anyone think of a team that would be better off with Matt Holliday than Roy Halladay?

Sandra

For teams that are contending, Boston, Detroit, San Francisco and Florida could all use a bat more than a starting pitcher at this point.

Halladay by far. Great pitching is hard to come by, especially one that has as many complete games as he has.

Everything being equal, I would prefer the Sox to have Halladay.

HOWEVER, the Sox need an upgrade offensively (even after the additions of Adam LaRoche and Chris Duncan) MUCH MORE than starting pitching.

Bill, do you really think the Sox would be better off with Matt Holliday than Roy Halladay right now??? You can always pick up a cheap bat, a pitcher like Halladay is a generational talent.

Trade for Halladay, finally put Varitek out to pasture, rent a catcher who can actually hit, and I think you're good to go.

The Mets' hitting is anemic on good days, and wasn't much better the beginning of the year when everyone was healthy. Adding Matt Holliday would have minimal effect. Adding Roy Halladay would give them the two best pitchers in the game two days out of every five, and all of a sudden they're a serious ballclub again.

Sandra

Bill, do you really think the Sox would be better off with Matt Holliday than Roy Halladay right now??? You can always pick up a cheap bat, a pitcher like Halladay is a generational talent.

Trade for Halladay, finally put Varitek out to pasture, rent a catcher who can actually hit, and I think you're good to go.

The Mets' hitting is anemic on good days, and wasn't much better the beginning of the year when everyone was healthy. Adding Matt Holliday would have minimal effect. Adding Roy Halladay would give them the two best pitchers in the game two days out of every five, and all of a sudden they're a serious ballclub again.

Sandra

Catchers "who can actually hit" do not grow on trees. The Mets, and all of their injuries woes need Halladay AND Holliday to be considered a serious contender. Currently, the Mets have NOTHING in their Major team nor their farm system to entice either Toronto or Oakland to give those guys up.

Catchers "who can actually hit" do not grow on trees. The Mets, and all of their injuries woes need Halladay AND Holliday to be considered a serious contender. Currently, the Mets have NOTHING in their Major team nor their farm system to entice either Toronto or Oakland to give those guys up.

You are correct about the Mets, but their problems even go past what you said. And they won't be a contender this year no matter who they add.

Sure, they could use Holliday and Halladay and Pujols and A-Rod and Lincecum and Utley and everyone else. Even with that crew they'd probably find a way to turn lemonade into lemons.

But back to my point. ;)

The Mets hitting is anemic, but they would improve more by adding Roy Halladay then Matt Holliday.

And the Red Sox don't need Joe Mauer, they need a catcher who can hit better than Varitek, that's all. It's not difficult to find. Check with the Pirates, they like to trade everybody. ;)

Sandra

You are correct about the Mets, but their problems even go past what you said. And they won't be a contender this year no matter who they add.

Sure, they could use Holliday and Halladay and Pujols and A-Rod and Lincecum and Utley and everyone else. Even with that crew they'd probably find a way to turn lemonade into lemons.

But back to my point. ;)

The Mets hitting is anemic, but they would improve more by adding Roy Halladay then Matt Holliday.

And the Red Sox don't need Joe Mauer, they need a catcher who can hit better than Varitek, that's all. It's not difficult to find. Check with the Pirates, they like to trade everybody. ;)

Sandra

There is a rumor floating around the SUPPOSEDLY the Indians offered Victor Martinez for Clay Bucholtz and minor leaguers....and the Red Sox did not pull the trigger.

Man that would really stink!!!
I am a Cardinals fan and I would rather have Halliday at this point if they are going to make a trade!!!

I know we need another bat and the trade of Duncan for Lugo was another stupid move. Not that I thought Duncan was going to solve our problems, but Lugo definitely isn't going to help either. If they did this just to make a trade then that was a big mistake...

Sandra
You make a great point.

If we were talking about NEXT YEAR (or for that matter, any year), there's no question my answer would be Halladay.

I'm not trying to compare Tim Wakefield, Clay Buchholz, Brad Penny and John Smoltz (the 2009 version) to Halladay either (some geniuses on Boston Sports Radio actually asked what the Sox would do with Halladay :rolleyes:).

But if the Sox are going to use their young chips to get better THIS YEAR, they definitely need a bat!

You make a great point.

If we were talking about NEXT YEAR (or for that matter, any year), there's no question my answer would be Halladay.

I'm not trying to compare Tim Wakefield, Clay Buchholz, Brad Penny and John Smoltz (the 2009 version) to Halladay either (some geniuses on Boston Sports Radio actually asked what the Sox would do with Halladay :rolleyes:).

But if the Sox are going to use their young chips to get better THIS YEAR, they definitely need a bat!

You can probably pick up some rent-a-player like Sheffield, Huff, or a number of others on the cheap. They may not be Matt Holliday, but they're not far from it for a few months. There is only one Roy Halladay.

The Sox pick up a Matt Holliday (I know he went to St Louis) type player I'm not too concerned. They pick up Roy Halladay, say goodnight, even with the Sox 2.5 games back the race would be over. ;)

Sandra

The Sox pick up a Matt Holliday (I know he went to St Louis) type player I'm not too concerned. They pick up Roy Halladay, say goodnight, even with the Sox 2.5 games back the race would be over. ;)
Sandra

True, but what I'm afraid of in the postseason (if we're lucky enough to qualify), even with a Halladay/Beckett/Lester/whomever rotation is losing games 2-1 because 6-9 in the order is a wasteland.

There's NO DOUBT having a Halladay would be a dream, but I'd hate to see that pitching staff wasted because the bats went into a deep freeze in the autumn air. ;)

True, but what I'm afraid of in the postseason (if we're lucky enough to qualify), even with a Halladay/Beckett/Lester/whomever rotation is losing games 2-1 because 6-9 in the order is a wasteland.

There's NO DOUBT having a Halladay would be a dream, but I'd hate to see that pitching staff wasted because the bats went into a deep freeze in the autumn air. ;)

See, I feel the exact opposite. I think if (though it's not an if) the Red Sox make the playoffs, Beckett and Halladay pitching two out of every four games would mean series over.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)