Let's compare Lebron James with Manny Ramirez

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Everyone loves to pick on Lebron (or is it HD?;)) in here and elsewhere, yet somehow a guy like Manny Ramirez seems to get more respect. How is this possible?

OK so Lebron didn't shake hands after losing a playoff series, and he apparently had a video confiscated of a college player dunking the ball. Anything else I'm not thinking of right now?

Now let's look at Manny. He's well known for not hustling. He's even glorified for it by some. As an outfielder he turns singles into doubles, and as a hitter his lack of effort turns doubles into singles. And potential infield singles into outs because he's too lazy to get out of the box. Can't say Lebron doesn't hustle.

Manny punched a teammate (Kevin Youkilis) in the head in the dugout. I have yet to see Lebron take a swing at Anderson Varejao.

Manny attacked a club house attendant because he was unable to get Manny 16 tickets to a game. Attacked him so hard the man fell to the ground. One more thing...the man Manny attacked is in his sixties, likely someone's grandfather. I have yet to hear about Lebron physically attacking someone's grandfather.

Manny faked an injury and wouldn't play against the team's top rivals, the Yankees, because he wanted out of Boston. Yeah, I can imagine Lebron doing that.

Manny is caught using steroids and has to sit out a 50 game suspension. Roger Clemens, Jason Giambi, Rafael Palmeiro, Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, etc., are reviled for this transgression. Manny is celebrated. 'Manny being Manny, sticking needles in his butt'. Wonderful.

So all of you who attacked Lebron for not shaking hands, and for making a stink over a video...it would be nice if you were fair enough to speak about Manny too.

Sandra

OK so Lebron didn't shake hands after losing a playoff series, and he apparently had a video confiscated of a college player dunking the ball. Anything else I'm not thinking of right now?
Yeah, don't forget about the admitted history of illegal drug usage. ;)

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4350557"]In book, LeBron James admits using marijuana in high school - ESPN[/ame]

I agree what you are trying to say....but Manny has NEVER been about promoting a squeeky clean image. He has always been about 'I play baseball and I help teams win and that is all you should be concerned with'....and to a certain extent, he is right. He is somewhat taking the Charles Barkley "I am not a role model" approach to baseball. And alot of people do not like it.

Let's face facts, these are regular people like ANYONE ELSE......and the ONLY thing thing they do better than you and I is hit a baseball. Like work and everyday life, there are a$$**** EVERYWHERE! We have to be able to accept that fact and not try to think that EVERYONE is gonna be a Cal Ripken or a Tony Gwynn.

I agree what you are trying to say....but Manny has NEVER been about promoting a squeeky clean image. He has always been about 'I play baseball and I help teams win and that is all you should be concerned with'....and to a certain extent, he is right. He is somewhat taking the Charles Barkley "I am not a role model" approach to baseball. And alot of people do not like it.

Let's face facts, these are regular people like ANYONE ELSE......and the ONLY thing thing they do better than you and I is hit a baseball. Like work and everyday life, there are a$$**** EVERYWHERE! We have to be able to accept that fact and not try to think that EVERYONE is gonna be a Cal Ripken or a Tony Gwynn.

I don't think Lebron tries to promote a squeaky clean image either. Of course there are those on this site who deify him, but from a distance to me Lebron is just about basketball...he's not trying to be Cal Ripken or Tony Gwynn either.

This site gets skewed because there are an inordinate amount of Cleveland fans on it, which is why people seem to like to grab the opportunity to knock Lebron off his pedestal...one he never asked to be on in the first place.

Nobody in this site checks Manny's number two's Twitter daily!

Sandra

I don't think Lebron tries to promote a squeaky clean image either. Of course there are those on this site who deify him, but from a distance to me Lebron is just about basketball...he's not trying to be Cal Ripken or Tony Gwynn either.

This site gets skewed because there are an inordinate amount of Cleveland fans on it, which is why people seem to like to grab the opportunity to knock Lebron off his pedestal...one he never asked to be on in the first place.

Nobody in this site checks Manny's number two's Twitter daily!

Sandra

I disagree. I think Nike AND his handlers go OUT OF THEIR WAY to make sure Lebron James is viewed as squeeky clean.

Yeah, don't forget about the admitted history of illegal drug usage. ;)

In book, LeBron James admits using marijuana in high school - ESPN

He's a BASKETBALL Player! He wasn't running for President of the United States! Plus, it was done in High School! How many of us have smoked a little herb in the past? Big freaking deal!

Seriously though, since when has LeBron become such a target of criticism? Everything he has done has been magnified 100%. He's accumulated much hatred this past year. What happened to the first 5 years of his career, where LeBron was an innocent, do no harm, child phenom? The media is trying to tear this kid appart. For what, I have no clue, but it's getting a little ridiculous.

He's a BASKETBALL Player! He wasn't running for President of the United States! Plus, it was done in High School! How many of us have smoked a little herb in the past? Big freaking deal!
Jeez, look at all those exclamation points. I guess someone didn't see the cute little winking smilie....

it's illegal to have unless perscribed by a doctor. It's an issue when you push your image to be a wholesome, All-American good guy....

Keep on picking. You're a part of the newly found bandwagon in trying to tear apart LeBron the person and LeBron the Basketball player. No one claims to be perfect. All of this analyzing every single move, both past and present is getting a little weird though.

it's illegal to have unless perscribed by a doctor. It's an issue when you push your image to be a wholesome, All-American good guy....

Maybe to you & others....not to me. The same applies to Michael Phelps.....not an issue.

I don't hear Lebron preaching that he is holier than anyone else. Just let him be an athlete. If you want to point out all his faults go right ahead, but be fair and point out other players' faults too.

Glass houses and stones...;)

Sandra

Seriously though, since when has LeBron become such a target of criticism? Everything he has done has been magnified 100%. He's accumulated much hatred this past year. What happened to the first 5 years of his career, where LeBron was an innocent, do no harm, child phenom? The media is trying to tear this kid appart. For what, I have no clue, but it's getting a little ridiculous.

The media are like a bunch of sharks.....if they smell a tiny bit of blood in the water, the go into a feeding-frenzy.

I told you a long time ago...the media AND THE INDIVIDUALS FANS put these guys on a thrown...then moment little "warts" appear, the media will pounce...and those same fans that put them on high, have a cow.....

...had this be someone else, you know full well you would have done the same.

...again, it goes back to fans trying to make these guys MORE than what they really are....which is just human.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)