What do you consider to be the best NFL rivalry?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Ravens-Steelers moves to top of NFL rivalries - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

I read this very interesting article, and it got me wondering about some of the NFL's better rivalries.

What do you consider the best of them all?

(BTW, as a Bills fan, the team I consider their biggest rival is the Dolphins. These games were always BIG when I lived up there. "Squish the Fish" was a frequent saying I heard up there)

My choice is Cowboys/Redskins. Here's why:

1. History. It goes back many decades (Patriots and Colts were divisional rivals, but their matchups were not much until they went to separate divisions- then, it became must-see TV).

2. Meaningful games. Unlike the much celebrated Bears/Packers, Dallas and Washington have played a lot of meaningful games over the years.

There's obviously a lot of divisional rivalries, but IMO, the most hatred is between the AFC West teams and the NFC East teams.

There's obviously a lot of divisional rivalries, but IMO, the most hatred is between the AFC West teams and the NFC East teams.
There really aren't any great rivalries in the NFL compared to other sports, but I agree the best are in the NFC East, mainly because everyone hates the Cowboys, and the AFC West because everyone hates the Raiders. The problem is that hating the Raiders isn't what it used to be. Now it's like picking on a retarted kid at school. And the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry isn't what it used to be either. That rivalry is like Celtics-Lakers, occasionally great, often irrelevant. Only in college can you get the emotions of real rivalries year in and year out. In pro sports it's kind of put on.

Well I don't know if this makes me sound like a homer:rolleyes: but I have to agree with the article. It use to be Pittsburgh Vs. Cleavland, but with the original Clowns moving and the new Clowns not being able to win every year. Hell the Clowns/Bungles match-ups are looking more like the old time "Bay of Pigs" match-up between Green Bay and Tampa Bay.

The Ravens are proven winners, they won a Superbowl, something they couldn't do in Cleveland:D and both teams get "up" for the Steelers Vs. Ravens game.

both teams get "up" for the Steelers Vs. Ravens game.
Tell me about it. I'm less than an hour from Baltimore, but still in PA. We have lots of fans from both team around here. Lots of flags flying when both games are played each year.
The proximity of the 2 fan bases, along with 2 games a year fuels the rivalry.

Tell me about it. I'm less than an hour from Baltimore, but still in PA. We have lots of fans from both team around here. Lots of flags flying when both games are played each year.
The proximity of the 2 fan bases, along with 2 games a year fuels the rivalry.

Then add a third game, well it just makes the rivalry that much better.

NFL doesn't seem to have the same level of hatred towards an opposing team like they do in other sports. I would put Denver and KC up there with the others in the NFL.

Ravens vs. Steelers, huh? I don't know whether or not to cry or to scream!

Those lousy Rats not only stole our damn team, but now they stole our greatest rival! One that for the longest time was arguably the best in the game!?!!

What did Cleveland ever do to deserve this?! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ask anybody in San Diego, and the biggest rivalry is Chargers-Raiders. It goes back to the Madden/Coryell years, and the infamous "Holy Roller". In 1979, during the Iranian hostage crisis, there were bumper stickers that said: "Iranians go Home (and take the Raiders with you)".

I realize that taking any delight in beating the Raiders these days isn't really justified by the records, but hey - we've beaten them about 11 straight times now. Booya! :D

Ask anybody and the biggest rivalry in all of mankind is their favorite team against their favorites team's current rival. :rolleyes:

Sandra

Titans vs. Ravens, in the 200 AFC Divisional game the Titans dominated the stats department but the Ravens won the game. In both meetings last season (regular season and playoffs) the team that dominated the stats department lost the game. Hard hitting, physical matchups decided by turnovers. Smash Mouth Rivalry...

Ravens vs. Steelers, huh? I don't know whether or not to cry or to scream!

Those lousy Rats not only stole our damn team, but now they stole our greatest rival! One that for the longest time was arguably the best in the game!?!!

What did Cleveland ever do to deserve this?! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Tell your team to win more than just one year and maybe just maybe try and beat the Steelers just once in a single year, not ten years.:D;)

Tell your team to win more than just one year and maybe just maybe try and beat the Steelers just once in a single year, not ten years.:D;)

I'm trying to be patient, but I really think this Mangini will restore some of the passion for this rivalry. Not sure about this year, but the building blocks are definitely in place.

In Mangini I trust!

I'm trying to be patient, but I really think this Mangini will restore some of the passion for this rivalry. Not sure about this year, but the building blocks are definitely in place.

In Mangini I trust!

He couldn't win in N.Y., so I don't think he will be able to win in Cleavland.

In Mangini I trust!

Mangini is a smart guy, and he did have one good year with the Jets. But if you're looking for him to restore passion...I've never seen a more passionless coach, or perhaps even person, in my life. :eek:

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts