What do you consider to be the best NFL rivalry?

You guys have short memories. The Chargers weren't very good in the '80s (kinda like the Raiders are now), but the rivalry was red hot while both were very good teams in the late '70s. That's the problem, it's rare that both those teams were good at the same time.

They were good for at least one year in the 80's. In 1981 when they played the Bengals in the AFC Championship game which was the coldest, if you factor in wind chill, game to ever be played.

National rivalries come and go based on how good teams are over a time period

Today games with the Pats/Colt are a big draw or any combination of the Giants/Cowboys/ Eagles

Go back a few years and it was GB/San Fran/Dallas or Oakland/Pittsburg

Divisional rivalries usually have a lot of history…That is one reason why teams in the AFC WEST are so hot against one another …they have teams that were apart of the original AFL before the merger or GB/Chicago in the NFL.

My favorite of late is Colts/Pats as it’ almost always has playoff overtones with two of the best QB’s to play the game but leaving in he Bay Area...the biggest game is Raider/Niner’s in preseason…it’s meaningless but it is the battle of the bay.

That said, being a Raider fan…it’s a tie…between Denver/Chief…for which I hate (love) the most.

Nice to see another Raider fan in the mix!:up

Ravens-Steelers moves to top of NFL rivalries - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

I read this very interesting article, and it got me wondering about some of the NFL's better rivalries.

What do you consider the best of them all?

(BTW, as a Bills fan, the team I consider their biggest rival is the Dolphins. These games were always BIG when I lived up there. "Squish the Fish" was a frequent saying I heard up there)

My choice is Cowboys/Redskins. Here's why:

1. History. It goes back many decades (Patriots and Colts were divisional rivals, but their matchups were not much until they went to separate divisions- then, it became must-see TV).

2. Meaningful games. Unlike the much celebrated Bears/Packers, Dallas and Washington have played a lot of meaningful games over the years.
Giants/Dallas. Giants/Eagles. Bears/Packers.
Chiefs/Raiders. Cowboys/Redskins. Steelers/ Browns

I dont know if I would count these as rivals but some games that are always hard hitting and good matchups

Colts/Jags as of recent times

Ravens/Steelers

Steelers/Browns (Rival Game)

Pats/Colts

To me the AFC, has a bit more of those "Hard Hitting" games

This years Packers/Vikings may have a bit of an aditional twist to it ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts