What do you consider to be the best NFL rivalry?

You all knew I was going to pick the Redskins & Cowboys.

It just doesn't have the same feel as years in the past, but it is still a game I look forward to the Redskins winning twice a year.

He's a good coach. He just wasn't given enough time in NY.

It's not that simple. You can't sum Mangini's good and bad points when he coached the Jets into two short sentences.

He has his very good points, but he is as dispassionate as they come. Mangini won't crack a smile when his team is playing well, won't even frown when they're not.

That doesn't make him a bad coach (doesn't make him a good one either), but it also doesn't mean he's going to ignite whatever rivarly it is Brown fans want rekindled.

Sandra

It's not that simple. You can't sum Mangini's good and bad points when he coached the Jets into two short sentences.

He has his very good points, but he is as dispassionate as they come. Mangini won't crack a smile when his team is playing well, won't even frown when they're not.

That doesn't make him a bad coach (doesn't make him a good one either), but it also doesn't mean he's going to ignite whatever rivarly it is Brown fans want rekindled.

Sandra

Mangini doesn't like to smile? Guess what, I could care less. If a Zany Enthusiast is the characteristic needed to win games, why doesn't Guy Fieri or Ronald McDonald coach in the NFL?

Give me a coach who is able to recognize talent, knows how to get the best out of what he has, is able to put guys in the right positions to succeed, know's his "X's & O's" and can find a way to motivate his guys in all games, especially rivalry games and I'll be the one doing the smiling.

Look, his resume as a Head Coach is still a bit premature. I recognize that. But at the same time, I thought he was done wrong with the Jets. Everything that I've heard from him so far, both through interviews and 2nd hand testimonials have been stellar. And speaking of smiles, I think the Browns are in far better hands now than they were the previous years with that Smiley Faced Clown, Romeo Crennel. And as of now, that's all that matters. Progress in the right direction.

I'm not partial to any NFL team, but I can't believe nobody mentioned:

Pats vs Jets

There's probably close to a decade of 100% bad blood between these 2 (Belechick, Mangini, Parcells, etc), and they didn't really like one another to begin with. It's the NFL manifestation of Yanks/Sawx, too.

Mangini doesn't like to smile? Guess what, I could care less. If a Zany Enthusiast is the characteristic needed to win games, why doesn't Guy Fieri or Ronald McDonald coach in the NFL?

Give me a coach who is able to recognize talent, knows how to get the best out of what he has, is able to put guys in the right positions to succeed, know's his "X's & O's" and can find a way to motivate his guys in all games, especially rivalry games and I'll be the one doing the smiling.

Look, his resume as a Head Coach is still a bit premature. I recognize that. But at the same time, I thought he was done wrong with the Jets. Everything that I've heard from him so far, both through interviews and 2nd hand testimonials have been stellar. And speaking of smiles, I think the Browns are in far better hands now than they were the previous years with that Smiley Faced Clown, Romeo Crennel. And as of now, that's all that matters. Progress in the right direction.

Whatever. You have to experience Mangini to understand. Again, it's not as simple as 'Mangini doesn't smile'.

Nobody knows more than a Jet fan how wonderful things always look in July...

We thought having Mangini was going to change things two years ago, but his team did the same thing every Jet team before him had done...they imploded. We thought it would be different under Mangini, but it wasn't.

Last year he was given Brett Favre. Mangini didn't ask for Favre, but there are worse fates to be subjected to in the NFL. The bottom line is Mangini couldn't find a way to make it work with Favre as his QB. 'X's and O's' were severely lacking, and motivation from the coach was non-existent. Z E R O.

When the team is winning, a coach's lack of emotion is called relaxed, and the fans love it. The coach is compared to Tom Landry and Don Shula. When the team is losing, a coach's lack of emotion is attacked because it appears he does not know how to motivate his players.

In only two years we experienced both with Mangini coaching the Jets. What will you get in Cleveland? Depends on whether you're winning or losing...

Sandra

Last edited:
I think alot of the good rivalries in the NFL have died because one of the two teams have gotten REALLY bad or in some cases, BOTH. When my Raiders were good, as well the as the Chiefs and Broncos....those rivalries were legendary. I think the Bears/Packers rivalry was pretty strong too. As well as the Redskins/Cowboys and Giants/Cowboys.

Down here, the Dolphins/Jets rivalry is STILL huge. TONS of Jets fans down here, and MANY would be in 7th heaven if the only games they win would be the two against the 'Phins.

I think alot of the good rivalries in the NFL have died because one of the two teams have gotten REALLY bad or in some cases, BOTH. When my Raiders were good, as well the as the Chiefs and Broncos....those rivalries were legendary. I think the Bears/Packers rivalry was pretty strong too. As well as the Redskins/Cowboys and Giants/Cowboys.

Down here, the Dolphins/Jets rivalry is STILL huge. TONS of Jets fans down here, and MANY would be in 7th heaven if the only games they win would be the two against the 'Phins.

That's the oldest rivalry in the NFL,

AFC West divisional games are almost always hard fought, even when there's a big disparity in records. Rarely do you see a blowout one way or the other. As others have said, the decline of some of these franchises has hurt the rivalries in recent years, the stronger of the Chiefs, Raiders and Broncos generally receive the most hate. The Chargers seem to just kinda be 'there' like the Seahawks were prior to the last realignment and their feud with the Raiders is more geographical than divisional.

meStevo said:
... The Chargers seem to just kinda be 'there' like the Seahawks were prior to the last realignment and their feud with the Raiders is more geographical than divisional.
WOW!! Ain't that the truth....
You guys have short memories. The Chargers weren't very good in the '80s (kinda like the Raiders are now), but the rivalry was red hot while both were very good teams in the late '70s. That's the problem, it's rare that both those teams were good at the same time.

You guys have short memories. The Chargers weren't very good in the '80s (kinda like the Raiders are now), but the rivalry was red hot while both were very good teams in the late '70s. That's the problem, it's rare that both those teams were good at the same time.

No short memories at all. The Chargers were a DECENT team in the 70s and 80s....but when it comes to RIVALRIES, not winning percentages...the Chargers do not compare to Raiders/Chiefs or Raiders/Broncos.

National rivalries come and go based on how good teams are over a time period

Today games with the Pats/Colt are a big draw or any combination of the Giants/Cowboys/ Eagles

Go back a few years and it was GB/San Fran/Dallas or Oakland/Pittsburg

Divisional rivalries usually have a lot of history…That is one reason why teams in the AFC WEST are so hot against one another …they have teams that were apart of the original AFL before the merger or GB/Chicago in the NFL.

My favorite of late is Colts/Pats as it’ almost always has playoff overtones with two of the best QB’s to play the game but leaving in he Bay Area...the biggest game is Raider/Niner’s in preseason…it’s meaningless but it is the battle of the bay.

That said, being a Raider fan…it’s a tie…between Denver/Chief…for which I hate (love) the most.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)