Let's compare Lebron James with Manny Ramirez

Keep on picking. You're a part of the newly found bandwagon in trying to tear apart LeBron the person and LeBron the Basketball player. No one claims to be perfect. All of this analyzing every single move, both past and present is getting a little weird though.

No has claimed him to be perfect....but those at Nike and whomever does his image consulting sure as hell have tried to do that....

...please do not call me weird....I maybe a few beers short of a six pack...but I didn't write a thank you letter on a forum to an athlete that was never gonna read....:rolleyes:;)

I told you a long time ago...the media AND THE INDIVIDUALS FANS put these guys on a thrown...then moment little "warts" appear, the media will pounce...and those same fans that put them on high, have a cow.....

...had this be someone else, you know full well you would have done the same.

...again, it goes back to fans trying to make these guys MORE than what they really are....which is just human.

:up :up :up

Sandra

I don't hear Lebron preaching that he is holier than anyone else. Just let him be an athlete. If you want to point out all his faults go right ahead, but be fair and point out other players' faults too.

Glass houses and stones...;)

Sandra

But same applies to Manny.... he has never gone around stating he is Cal Ripken either....

He's a BASKETBALL Player! He wasn't running for President of the United States! Plus, it was done in High School! How many of us have smoked a little herb in the past? Big freaking deal!

Seriously though, since when has LeBron become such a target of criticism? Everything he has done has been magnified 100%. He's accumulated much hatred this past year. What happened to the first 5 years of his career, where LeBron was an innocent, do no harm, child phenom? The media is trying to tear this kid appart. For what, I have no clue, but it's getting a little ridiculous.

I don't trust anybody who says they have never smoked pot.

For me no baseball player is above suspicion anymore.

Sandra

THAT is very true. But at the same token, I root FOR A TEAM...not an individual..

....IF Wade were to go to the Chicago Bulls after the 2010 season, I am not suddenly gonna drop the Heat like a hot potato...I like the Heat, that is THE TEAM I root for....period.

THAT is very true. But at the same token, I root FOR A TEAM...not an individual..

....IF Wade were to go to the Chicago Bulls after the 2010 season, I am not suddenly gonna drop the Heat like a hot potato...I like the Heat, that is THE TEAM I root for....period.

Not sure what that has to do with Cal Ripken, but I'm very GLAD for ya. Smiles and grins. Good stuff. ;)

Sandra

Everyone loves to pick on Lebron (or is it HD?;)) in here and elsewhere, yet somehow a guy like Manny Ramirez seems to get more respect. How is this possible?...

Manny is caught using steroids and has to sit out a 50 game suspension. Roger Clemens, Jason Giambi, Rafael Palmeiro, Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, etc., are reviled for this transgression.

We lauded A-Rod and Clemens and Palmeiro ("I have irrefutable evidence that I never used steroids: my body" - Raphiel Palmeiro) before they got caught, too.

...How is it that an eighteen year old Lebron James could have had a body like a 28 year old Karl Malone?

See if you can find pictures of Moses Malone in the ABA. If a 19 year old Moses Malone and I met in a dark alley, he'd probably be more worried than I would. It is easy to find pictures of a 19 year old Michael Jordan that can be compared with his physique a decade later. Photos of a young Karl Malone will be harder to find, but will show heft more similar to that of a young Malone and Jordan than that of James.

James took something, probably at least human growth hormone. Betcha, betcha, betcha! It is simply humanly impossible to develop the body he did at the age he did without taking something. Ditto for Phil Mickelson and Serena Williams.

...We have to be able to accept that fact and not try to think that EVERYONE is gonna be a Cal Ripken or a Tony Gwynn.

...How naive is the general public? For over two decades, major league baseball players would come back from winter break having seemingly added 20 pounds of solid muscle and credited it to having become exercise freaks. The off-season is less than four months long. You can't add three pounds of solid muscle in four months without being juiced, and even if you do, your weight will probably stay the same...

What happened to Cal Ripkin's hair? From 1987 to 1993, Ripkin, age 26-32, played every game at shortstop and hit a meager .250 to .262 in six of those seven seasons, and every year, when he was in the thralls of a woeful batting slump, people would start saying he was hurting the team by playing every day when the 6'4" 220 pound shortstop would surely have benefitted from an off-day here and there.

Then, over the next five years, at ages 33-37, he still played every game at shortstop yet his batting average went up an average of twenty points a season. How many games did Ernie Banks play at shortstop after the age of 30? Zero. How many did Rico Petrocelli play? Very few. No one can play everyday shortstop, even taking a dozen games off, after the age of 30 unless they have a 28" waistline and come from San Pedro De Makaris or wherever it is that they clone the wiry shortstops.

I hate to have to make this observation, because I love both of these guys, but Kirk Gibson and Ken Griffey Jr. both underwent abrupt body shape transformations late in their careers also. And Gibson lost his hair....

And a non-baseball observation here: Who among us thinks he could out-armwrestle Serena Williams?

Tony Gwynn has a funny looking body too, kind of like Kirby Puckett, but I didn't follow his career closely enough to to speculate on whether performance enhancing drugs might be responsible for his body, his performance, or his quirky voice.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)