Holy Cow Did Multisport Get Expensive!

Multi Sports is not worth it. You'll get all the in-between fluff, but as soon as games are on, all the channels say "this program is not available for viewing in your area"....
Worthless. :rant:

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Not to a sports fan it isn't! You get other non pro sports and teams not otherwise available, and you do get the end of many pro baseball games. And then there's the other channels. There are MANY who would and do pay $11 just for the NFLZ. When the pennant race is close, I have subscribed to it in the last month to watch the end of those teams that are in contention. It's a poor man's MLB package.

And until you go back to your signature, awesome avatars it's hard for me to agree with your posts! :D:D

nope. Most college games can be watched
All college hockey games (no blackouts)
Most college football games are on there....even some that are also on game plan. This past weekend the only ones I saw blacked out I could see on other RSN's (same game)
college basketball is a crapshoot if its blacked out or not...that usually has to do with the TV contracts

There are MANY who would and do pay $11 just for the NFLZ.

Guilty.... was fine with it @ $5, but since it has gone up, we always ask for the 50% off deal and have gotten it every time. This dog and pony show will continue...

If you understood basic economics you would realize that the what the players make has little to nothing to do with how much sports on TV costs. Professional leagues and big time college sports (i.e., the development minor leagues for the NFL and NBA) are going to maximize their TV revenues regardless what the players make.
If you understood basic economics, you wouldn't make a claim like that. The NFL is the teams and their high costs can be directly attributed to salaries. Not all of the salaries are players, but most of the multi-million dollar salaries are.

The operational costs of the stadiums and the NFL offices aren't advancing nearly as quickly as the insane player contracts.

If you understood basic economics, you wouldn't make a claim like that. The NFL is the teams and their high costs can be directly attributed to salaries. Not all of the salaries are players, but most of the multi-million dollar salaries are.

The operational costs of the stadiums and the NFL offices aren't advancing nearly as quickly as the insane player contracts.
Hah, but you are applying cause and effect in the wrong direction. The CBA has set player salaries to about 60% of league revenue, so to imply that player salaries are driving up TV costs, is completely backward. It is the high bidding of exclusive TV contract deals is what drives up league revenue, thus player salaries rise accordingly.

MultiSport also now includes NFL Network, NHL Net, NBA TV and MLB channel, in addition to BeIn, BeIn 2 and FS2. I get it every year for the RedZone and I don't remember that being the case before (obv not FS2 or Pac 12). I could be wrong about that, tho'.

MultiSport also now includes NFL Network, NHL Net, NBA TV and MLB channel, in addition to BeIn, BeIn 2 and FS2. I get it every year for the RedZone and I don't remember that being the case before (obv not FS2 or Pac 12). I could be wrong about that, tho'.
Meh...most of those are in AT200 or AT250 already, so unless you are at the bare minimum AT120+, not much of a deal.

I love how people get all riled up about paying for sports. For all those that complain about paying for sports channels that you never watch, do you ever think about how sports fans pay for channels you may watch but they don't? Oh of course not. Paying for things you may not get a benefit from is a part of life so deal with it. If Dish did offer RSNs in a market like NY, I'm sure they would pick up quite a few subscribers & maybe they wouldn't have to raise rates as much next time to compensate for the loss of subscribers.

Or you could get it free for 3 months...I enjoy it for Redzone

That's why I got it and for college games. I received the half off for 6 months but even at full price it's a bargain compared to what I had to pay Directv to get the RedZone channel. For what I was using Sunday Ticket for the RedZone channel meets my needs for cheap. VERY happy!

When did this happen? I was going to upgrade to AT120+ and Multi-sport today to get the Big Ten Network, and it's now $10 extra to get AT120+ (over AT120) and $11 for the multi-sport pack?!? I know it didn't used to be that much. I like to watch a few football games, but not for $21 a month. No thanks, Dish.
?

Luckily for me, the only 2 teams I follow religously are the Pats (OTA) and the Habs (bar 2 blocks away). Love sports, but its slowly getting out of my price range.

Cheers, K

I love how people get all riled up about paying for sports. For all those that complain about paying for sports channels that you never watch, do you ever think about how sports fans pay for channels you may watch but they don't? Oh of course not. Paying for things you may not get a benefit from is a part of life so deal with it. If Dish did offer RSNs in a market like NY, I'm sure they would pick up quite a few subscribers & maybe they wouldn't have to raise rates as much next time to compensate for the loss of subscribers.

Dish would not pick up many subscribers, that's the exact reason they decided not to carry what is probably the most expensive set of RSN's. There is a reason Sports is being singled out. RSN's, ESPN, soon FOXS and others cost more than most other programming. Taking out just a few sports channels from a package would lower the cost far far more than taking away just a few other channels. It's a problem not just being discussed here, if you don't agree, you can go and argue with Comcast and other carriers who want something to change.

Maybe this will help you and others. (Btw - I do watch some sports, and not casually but I can see how it's costing me much more than other programming)

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/53498716

Last edited:
Luckily for me, the only 2 teams I follow religously are the Pats (OTA) and the Habs (bar 2 blocks away). Love sports, but its slowly getting out of my price range.

Cheers, K
Yeah, I wouldn't consider myself a sports fan, just a hometown team fan. I get all I need from the locals, RSN, and NFL/NHL Network.

When did this happen? I was going to upgrade to AT120+ and Multi-sport today to get the Big Ten Network, and it's now $10 extra to get AT120+ (over AT120) and $11 for the multi-sport pack?!? I know it didn't used to be that much. I like to watch a few football games, but not for $21 a month. No thanks, Dish.
?

I agree. It's a big increase to go from the AT120 to the AT120 plus with Multi Sports package. What I would do if I were you is just get the AT200 and then add the Multi Sports pack for half off or see if they offer it free. The AT200 may be $5 more yet but at least you are getting a lot of other channels with it and if you get the Multi Sports pack at half price it will actually be a wash. You'll get a lot more programming for the money than with the AT120 plus.

?

I notice that the OP hasn't responded since this post. If she ever does come back it would be helpful to know what state she lives in. She mentioned that she wants the sports pack for Big Ten Network. I understand that it is quite a price jump to move from AT120 to AT120+ and Multisport but if you live in a Big Ten state you don't need to add Multi-Sport.

Here in Michigan BTN is included in AT120+ along with Fox Sports Detroit as the RSNs for my area. If you are a Big Ten football fan there is a good chance that you live in a Big Ten state so you can save the $11 you would have spent on Multi-sport. If you don't live in a Big Ten State you are correct in that it would cost the extra $21 to get BTN.

I don't expect the OP to see this because she hasn't posted in this thread since the original post. If you do hopefully this can save you some money and still get your football games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts