Holy Cow (Dish Reps), How Much More Monthly for 922?

jayiw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
This is nuts... I am interested in the VIP922 so I called Dish and I am getting so many different answers as to how much more a month I would pay. First I am told $17 more a month, then I am told $4 more per month, then $1 more, then $10 more, then $14 more. No one will give me a straight answer. Is there anyone here that can tell me how much more monthly it actually is?

Here is what I have and am trying to do:

Main receiver is 722k. Secondary is 211k (with DVR function). I want to get a 922 as the main receiver and use the 722k as my secondary and give back the 211k. I know the upgrade is $200 for the 922 and install is free because I have the protection plan. I just need to know how much more a month I would pay. The Dish reps seem to be clueless and it's very frustrating to keep calling and getting a different answer.

Thanks!
Jay

No its not $20 a month, its $17. It's $4 more a month then a normal dual tuner DVR.

Ok thanks, so on my bill (below) it would be $4 more?

America's Everything Pak
$104.99

HD Solo Receiver
$7.00

DVR Service
$6.00

Service Plan (15)
$6.00

HD 250 Free
$0.00

Dish Platinum
$10.00

Total
$133.99 (excludes taxes / credits)

nope it will be like mine, i have a 922 and a 722,

America's Everything Pak
$104.99

DVR Service
$10.00

Service Plan (15)
$6.00

HD 250 Free
$0.00

HD Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver
$17.00

Dish Platinum

$10.00

Total
$147.99 (excludes taxes / credits)

Thanks for the info. $14 more basically for having a 'real' DVR on my secondary set. Now I see why people are leaving Dish due to the high equipment prices. I mean $200 initially plus $14/month more. My bill already just went up a few bucks and I would not complain if I had to pay a few more bucks on top of the $200 but for $14 more just seems outlandish to me.

Jay

It will cost you $17.00 for the additional receiver fee for the 722k, because the 922 becomes your main receiver and then your dvr fee will go up to $10.00 from the $6.00 that it is now. The extra $4.00 is "just because they can charge for it". You would be better off keeping the 722k and buying a sling adapter for $99.00. This effectively turns your 722k into a 922 without the channel logos and the $200.00 upgrade price. I would keep the 211k as a dvr and you would still have dvrs on both tvs and no increase of $14.00 a month for the extra dvr fee + the additional receiver price.

If you don't need "TV2" where the 211 is now, then consider a 612. It would be a "real" 2 tuner DVR, just no TV2 out.

Replace the 722 with 922 = $4.00 additional DVR fee
Replace 211 with 612 = $3 additional ($7 211 fee goes to $10 612 fee).

$7 total additional per month, but I don't know what Dish would charge one-time for the 211->612 upgrade.

Whenever the subject of a 211 being turned into a dvr comes up. No one ever mentions the dis ability to pause "live" tv. That is an important feature & needs to be considered when determining equipment configurations.

You're saying that you can't pause live TV on a 211 DVR?

This is true. A lot of confusion in the directv forum also with this. You cannot pause live tv on a 211 with an external hd, but, you can pause a recorded show that is being played back.

Whenever the subject of a 211 being turned into a dvr comes up. No one ever mentions the dis ability to pause "live" tv. That is an important feature & needs to be considered when determining equipment configurations.
but you could always hit the record button, might not be exactly what you want with pause but at least you wouldn't miss what you were wanting to watch.

but you could always hit the record button, might not be exactly what you want with pause but at least you wouldn't miss what you were wanting to watch.

That is a good point, but, the impulse pause or rewind to catch something missed is in my opinion what a dvr is. A receiver like the 211 with an ehd should be named accordingly, imo it is unfair to call it a dvr.

This is true. A lot of confusion in the directv forum also with this. You cannot pause live tv on a 211 with an external hd, but, you can pause a recorded show that is being played back.
This is totally not true. I do this all the time, it's the main reason I did the conversion to make it a DVR. In fact, just to make sure I am have not lost my mind, I just now went and paused live TV on it, rewinded, fast forwarded, hit the LIVE TV button and paused again. Yep, all works.

Jay

That is a good point, but, the impulse pause or rewind to catch something missed is in my opinion what a dvr is. A receiver like the 211 with an ehd should be named accordingly, imo it is unfair to call it a dvr.

The 211 with EHD does pause live TV. It is a true DVR. The only weakness is just one SAT and one OTA tuner vs 2 for the other Dish DVRs.

I stand corrected. I apologize for my misinformation. Has it been this way from day 1 with the 211?

Jeeze, I'd been thinking about adding a 211 w/EHD and the post about no pause was a new one to me.:eek: So the answer is YES, you positively, absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt CAN pause live TV when using an EHD with a 211, right? Does it make any difference if it's a 211 or a 211K? As long as I'm asking questions, other than color what are the differences between the K & NON-K?:confused:
Thanks guys.

Ed

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)