MSG back on?

blts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
WNY
I chatted with a Dish agent tonight and she told me that yes they did have MSG and MSG+ available in my area now. From what I just read on this web site it's not even uplinked anymore. The following is the transcript of what she said:

Welcome to DISH Network, your home for TV Everywhere and HD Free for life. To better assist with your buying experience and ensure that we can contact you in case the session is disconnected, please provide your phone number using this format 999-999-9999.
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Hi! Thank you for logging in to Dish Network. How can I help you today?
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Are you still there?
bill: I used to be a dish customer and was wondering what I would have to do if I wanted to sign up for the Locals only pack
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Thank you for asking.
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Just to verify, would you like to establish a new account?
bill: What would it cost for Locals only?
bill: I would only have one receiver for now
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Give me a moment while I do that.
bill: thank you
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Thank you for waiting.
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): It shows here that we no longer establish local programming for new customers.
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): What you would need is to subscribe for our Core packages.
bill: I thought you offered locals only?
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): We offer locals together with the core packages.
bill: What is the least espensive package you have right now
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): If I may ask, how many TVs are we hooking up and how many are in HD?
bill: I would have one receiver for now and I own that one as well as the dish is already setup
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Thank you.
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): To start building an order for you, may I have your address and zip code, complete name and the phone number that we would register on your order?
bill: I would need a price first
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Okay.
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): The least expensive package that we have right now is our America's Top 120 package.
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): To start building an order for you, may I have your address and zip code, complete name and the phone number that we would register on your order?
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): I am sorry
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): please disregard the message.
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): This is an exceptionally well-priced package that will please every member of your family. You will always find something different to watch which means you will have more variety for your viewing pleasure. It includes over a 100 channels with the best in entertainment, sports, news and children's programming with channels like Lifetime, CNN, ESPN and Disney Channel.
bill: Does that include the local RSN's like MSG
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): No.
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): You can get America's Top 120 package instead.
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): This is an exceptionally well-priced package that will please every member of your family. It includes over a 100 channels with the best in entertainment, sports, news and children's programming with channels like Lifetime, CNN, ESPN and Disney Channel plus your Regional Sports and Big Ten Network where available. You will always find something different to watch which means you will have more variety for your viewing pleasure.
bill: So Dish has MSG back on the air?
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Yes.
bill: Are you sure? That is why I cancelled my account
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Yes I am sure bill.
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Can I have your zip code please?
bill: 11977
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Thank you.
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Give me a moment.
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Madison Square Garden 412 / Madison Square Garden Plus 413 and SportsNet New York 438 is available now in your area.
bill: I just looked and it says only SNY is available and that MSG is still off because of a contract dispute. Did they just settle the contract dispute?
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): We already have it in our programming list according to your zip code.
bill: I was told the same thing last time but when they they activated my account there was no MSG, that is why I am asking. I know I am supposed to get MSG but is it available
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Yes, it is available.
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): If you are hesitating about the MSG programming. You can call 1-800-894-9131 to speak with one of our Customer Service Representatives.
bill: ok maybe I will do that to make sure.
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Sure. Not a problem.
bill: Can you tell me if you still have the Welcome Pack before i call them. Thanks
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): We no longer have it.
bill: OK Thanks
Catherine (ID: 3OZ): Is there anything else?
bill: no thanks
Customer has initiated a cobrowse session.

This is not the first time I have been told by Dish that MSG is available when it is not. Then I am told that their Welcome pack is no longer available when I know it is available. Where does Dish get these agents from or maybe I shouldn't blame these agents. I should probably blame Dish management for the way they train these agents and the misinformation they give them. Maybe one of Dish's agents online here can actually give me the correct information. Is MSG available, is the Welcome Pack available and WHY do I always get misinformation from its agents?

MSG and MSG+ are not on Dish right now...

also you cannot get locals only. That was discontinued on 2/1 per the dish reps (the ones here)

Sorry about the misinformation you received. We do not have MSG back. We do offer the Welcome Pack still, but it does require a workaround to get it added to a new account. Once again, sorry for the misinformation, we do our best to keep the misinformation down, and I'll make sure we get some feedback to the agent you chatted with.

most CSRs are gonna lie to you when they themselves don't know what's going on with the disputed channels or channels that aren't gonna be coming really soon. if they told you the truth, you would scream "go F*** yourselves, I'm switching providers." they are playing the business guy of "Keep your customer happy".

Sorry about the misinformation you received. We do not have MSG back. We do offer the Welcome Pack still, but it does require a workaround to get it added to a new account. Once again, sorry for the misinformation, we do our best to keep the misinformation down, and I'll make sure we get some feedback to the agent you chatted with.

So what channels are actually in the Welcome Pack and what are the costs monthly and for setup/installation?

So what channels are actually in the Welcome Pack and what are the costs monthly and for setup/installation?

Costs monthly depends on what programming, equipment, etc.. you get. Installation and setup is typically free, though some accounts have an activation fee.

Listing of welcome pack channels can be found below (as of 3/10/11):

107 COMEDY CENTRAL (CMDY) 72.7
107 COMEDY CENTRAL (CMDY) 119
110 FOOD NETWORK (FOOD) 72.7
110 FOOD NETWORK (FOOD) 119
112 HOME & GARDEN TELEVISION (HGTV) 72.7
112 HOME & GARDEN TELEVISION (HGTV) 119
120 HISTORY (HIST) 72.7
120 HISTORY (HIST) 119
127 OXYGEN (OXYGN) 72.7
127 OXYGEN (OXYGN) 119
128 WE: WOMEN'S ENTERTAINMENT (WE) 72.7
128 WE: WOMEN'S ENTERTAINMENT (WE) 119
130 AMC (AMC) 72.7
130 AMC (AMC) 119
134 SHOPNBC (SHNBC) 77
134 SHOPNBC (SHNBC) 119
137 QVC (QVC) 77
137 QVC (QVC) 119
139 TURNER BROADCAST SYSTEM (TBS) 72.7
139 TURNER BROADCAST SYSTEM (TBS) 119
161 MUSIC TELEVISION 2 (MTV2) 72.7
161 MUSIC TELEVISION 2 (MTV2) 119
166 COUNTRY MUSIC TELEVISION (CMT) 72.7
166 COUNTRY MUSIC TELEVISION (CMT) 119
175 BOOMERANG (BOOM) 72.7
175 BOOMERANG (BOOM) 110
179 THE HUB (HUB ) 72.7
179 THE HUB (HUB ) 110
183 LEARNING CHANNEL, THE (TLC) 72.7
183 LEARNING CHANNEL, THE (TLC) 119
185 HALLMARK CHANNEL (HLMRK) 72.7
185 HALLMARK CHANNEL (HLMRK) 110
203 BLOOMBERG TELEVISION (BITV) 72.7
203 BLOOMBERG TELEVISION (BITV) 110
209 MSNBC (MSNBC) 72.7
209 MSNBC (MSNBC) 119
214 THE WEATHER CHANNEL (TWC) 72.7
214 THE WEATHER CHANNEL (TWC) 119
222 HSN (HSN) 72.7
222 HSN (HSN) 119
230 ICTV (ICTV) 119

Last edited:
What would be the cost for the Welcome Pack for one owned 211 receiver and the dish already setup? Is there any fee to startup or contract? I was an existing customer for over 12 years until they took MSG off so I had Dish shut off all of my owned receivers except one and I also switched from AT200 to Locals only until they got MSG back. After the switch I had more problems with their billing and misinformation that I just canceled completely.

The Welcome Pack is 14.99 for the account. As you already have previous purchased equipment we should be able to just activate the account for you no commitment. I would have to look at the account to see what's available in terms of getting services reactivated for you though; if you would like to PM me the # I can check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)