Holy Ku Dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Last night I got the dish from Mobile that was on craigslist I had mentioned in a thread a couple months ago. I went over for a Bitcoin meetup and talk on hash functions which was pretty interesting and got it while I was over there. It was way heavier than I thought it was going to be. It rode in the back of the truck nicely at 75 mph for an hour, strapped down of course. I have a few questions so anyone that has experience with this type, I'd love to hear your answers.

1) As for the polar mount. The hole is 5". Im assuming I don't need a pole that big because they bolts inside it. What size pole should I have? I have some 3.5" OD steel from the BUD. Will that work?

2) I have an electric pressure washer, would that be ok to clean it off with? Too much power?

3) I would like to put a Ku PLL LNB on it, probably going to be parking it on a bird for news feeds. How the hell am I going to rig that up? The current TRIA has a conical scaler on it, is that going to have to be mated to the PLL LNB to properly see that whole surface? Do I just need to get a piece of metal to hold the PLL at the right spot right where the feedhorn begins after the scaler?

I'd love to see pics if anyone else has done LNB mod on something like this.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_1371.jpg
    IMG_1371.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1372.jpg
    IMG_1372.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 319
Lucky you! You've got nice dish. It is 1.8m Prodelin. Clean it gently without applying too big water pressure. I used just kitchen-sponges...... yes, it takes some time, but result is good. Best way (IMHO) hot to install new LNB to this antenna is to make adjustable LNB-holder out of pipe-clamp. IMG_20140707_210225 (Large).jpg IMG_20150728_091958 (Large).jpg IMG_20150828_185603 (Medium).jpg

Reactions: olliec420
Lucky you! You've got nice dish. It is 1.8m Prodelin. Clean it gently without applying too big water pressure. I used just kitchen-sponges...... yes, it takes some time, but result is good. Best way (IMHO) hot to install new LNB to this antenna is to make adjustable LNB-holder out of pipe-clamp. View attachment 125732 View attachment 125733 View attachment 125734

Ahhh, you da man. I think I can handle that. What size pipe do you have yours on there?

Nice find. One of the best reflector builds for KU!

You will have better performance using the OEM scalar and installing a quality voltage polarity switching LNB such as the Inverto Black Pro. Make a template of the exact scalar height, angle and distance from the reflector. The BUC should be removed and a simple mount could be built to place the scalar/waveguide/LNB in the correct position and fore/aft positioning for FD optimization and rotation to optimize polarity skew.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: k.r. and olliec420
Nice find. One of the best reflector builds for KU!

You will have better performance using the OEM scalar and installing a quality voltage polarity switching LNB such as the Inverto Black Pro. Make a template of the exact scalar height, angle and distance from the reflector. The BUC should be removed and a simple mount could be built to place the scalar/waveguide/LNB in the correct position and fore/aft positioning for FD optimization and rotation to optimize polarity skew.

Thats right, you mentioned that LNB in my other thread. I can't find that thread anymore for some reason. Brian, do you sell that Inverto black lnb? If not can you recommend a retailer? Im not much of a fabricator. Whats my margin of error on this? Everything have to be perfect? Do I remove the feed horn where the red is and then match it up to the Inverto like that? (See attached) Being that I'm not much of a fabricator I may just hold on to this lnb and throw the PLL on there for now.

The plastic sheet over the scaler and feed horn tore in the wind on the way home with it. It was in tact when I got there but ya know, wind. Anything I can put over that to replace it?

OHHHHH look at this, now I could make a hell of a setup with that! Lets see 8 TPs, so I should be able to keep it on the hot ones on 91 and have a good time with that.

The LNB you're recommending is this one right? Do you think the screws from the Huges feed horn will match up to these holes? Are these a standard? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I'm on the right page before I start buying stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
The mount on the OEM scalar is a C-120 type and it is an industry standard. I don't carry the Inverto Black Pro C-120 models. They are available from many European sellers. Available in single, dual, quad, onto outputs. Start at about $30 shipped on EBay.

The feedhorn opening needs to be placed at the same height, angle and distance. This is the same if you fabricate a mount for your LNBF or to reuse the OEM scalar.

Home Depot/Lowes/etc. has the parts needed to fabricate a mount. Check out using an inverted pipe hanger, 12" of all-thread, a few nuts and washers. Drill a hole in the LNB support arm for the all-thread to pass through. Clamp the scalar throat with the pipe hanger. Use the all-thread/washers/nuts to raise/lower the feedhorn. Tilt the feedhorn angle adjust towards/away from the reflector and tighten the pipe hanger.

Reactions: olliec420
Prodelin feedhorh has 6 holes, standard C-120 flange has 8 holes. To couple them adapter is needed. Friend of mine made such an adapter for me. So, this LNB with Prodelin feedhorn worked quiet well, but, TBH, simple out-of-shelf Inverto Black Ultra (IBU) installed properly, works more or less the same. IMAG0843 (Large).jpg IMAG0845 (Large).jpg P1290525 (Large).JPG

The mount on the OEM scalar is a C-120 type and it is an industry standard. I don't carry the Inverto Black Pro C-120 models. They are available from many European sellers. Available in single, dual, quad, onto outputs. Start at about $30 shipped on EBay.

The feedhorn opening needs to be placed at the same height, angle and distance. This is the same if you fabricate a mount for your LNBF or to reuse the OEM scalar.

Home Depot/Lowes/etc. has the parts needed to fabricate a mount. Check out using an inverted pipe hanger, 12" of all-thread, a few nuts and washers. Drill a hole in the LNB support arm for the all-thread to pass through. Clamp the scalar throat with the pipe hanger. Use the all-thread/washers/nuts to raise/lower the feedhorn. Tilt the feedhorn angle adjust towards/away from the reflector and tighten the pipe hanger.

Prodelin feedhorh has 6 holes, standard C-120 flange has 8 holes. To couple them adapter is needed. Friend of mine made such an adapter for me. So, this LNB with Prodelin feedhorn worked quiet well, but, TBH, simple out-of-shelf Inverto Black Ultra (IBU) installed properly, works more or less the same. View attachment 125736 View attachment 125737 View attachment 125738

I don't know what I'd do with out you guys. Thanks. Will get to working! :D

Was looking for a couple of those inverto C-120 mount LNBFs a while back, think the only supplier was in England. Wonder if someone in N.A. carries them?

Pulled out my feedhorn/LNB this am and noticed it's not a C-120... it's a WR75.

Since the feedhorn is not in the best of shape I am thinking of another solution... unless I can find a good C120 feedhorn somewhere matched for the channelmaster dish...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts