Not open for further replies.

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Scott,

I think one of your banner ads has gone WAY over the line with an immesly annoying pop-over ad. See the attached pic. I was browsing a thread in the c-band forum when it came up.

Last edited:
I use Firefox without all the add-ons/plugins and visited that section within a few minutes and never saw it, so thats not the specific issue. Nice try, IE is the MOST NOTORIUS for allowing stuff through or being hijacked! If you have to ad a plugin to IE to stop it, then there is no specific need for IE, just setup your particular browser correctly or use the same add-on/plugin for it. Such as AdBlock.

Last edited:
GaryPen said:
Plus, toolbars generally cause more problems than they cure. And, they are basically adware/spyware that the user willingly installs.

That is true of a lot of toolbars, however; the Google Toolbar is an excellent add-on. The Google Toolbar certainly is not adware or spyware.;)

charper1 said:
Nice try, IE is the MOST NOTORIUS for allowing stuff through or being hijacked!

This statement bothers me because it is mis-leading. The truth is Firefox and IE are both almost equally susceptible to attacks.

The problem is, IE users greatly outnumber Firefox users, because most users just go with what is pre-installed on their pc. Also, most users have no clue how to prevent their pc's from becoming infected with spyware/adware. (For comparison lets say 80% of the population drives a BMW and 20% drives a Hyundai. Let's say that 50% of people driving the BMWs don't change their oil. Most likley, you would see a lot more BMWs in car shops. Does that mean that the Hyundai is better? No it does not.)

The truth is, no browser is perfect, the only thing that can prevent spyware/adware is the person sitting behind the keyboard.:up

Yep, I hate toolbars, but from what I have seen of the google toolbar, it's decent. But I use firefox and have not ever seen one of these pop-over's on any site. I only open IE for two sites (work webmail) and dish tech website that was not compatible with firefox last time I loaded it.

shugo77 said:
That is true of a lot of toolbars, however; the Google Toolbar is an excellent add-on. The Google Toolbar certainly is not adware or spyware.;)
It's still an extra bit of unnecessary flotsam (or is it jetsam?). I avoid both flotsam and jetsam on my PC's, as a rule. I always get a kick out of seeing people wiith a million little icons in their system tray saying, "I wonder why my system is so slow?"

I don't know how many times I clean computers for members in the family that d/l all kinds of crap. Especially when their desktop has 3,405 icons on it.

So was that plop-up generated from this site or adware? The green links were bad enough until I blocked those since they caused my text-to-speech screan reader to crash or freeze.

That one was by the site, the ad agency tagged it wrong as a banner ad when it was actually an intrusive ad, we are set not to have intrusive ads. We need to pay the bills however we don't want to drive people away with things like that. :)

Thanks for letting us know, sometimes ads are automatically added and unless we see them ourselves we never know when the ad agency mis tags an ad.

GaryPen said:
Plus, toolbars generally cause more problems than they cure. And, they are basically adware/spyware that the user willingly installs.

Wrong again GARY!!!

I have spybot - adaware and the 2006 delux Macafee suite and none of the tool bars contain any spyware or adware.

You haven't tried they Yahoo Toolbar then. ;)

Man that one screwed up my system.

I personally run Google AND Alexa on my system, the reason for Alexa is for the site stats so I can see how we are doing.

Eric Goempel said:
I run AOL YAHOO ICQ MSN AND GOOGLE toolbars ALL at the sametime.

NO adware and no spyware

Why? Are you in a competition to see who has the most toolbars?
I would get rid of all but Google.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)