Home Distribution via 942 TV2 Out and a DPP44 Switch - will this work?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HardDriver

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2006
I want to use my DVR-942's TV2 coax out to deliver video to three televisions around my house. Right now, I have a DPP44 switch which has 4 satellite inputs and outputs to connect 4 different receivers. Can I send the 942's TV2 output back into one of the satellite inputs, connect the three televisions to the three empty outputs on the DPP44, and then tune them to channel 73 (or whatever the modulator is set to output at) and get a good picture? I've been thinking about it, and I'm having trouble finding a reason that it would not work but I fear that the 942's output is weak and the resulting video quality will be unwatchable. Has anyone tried anything like this before and got it to work?

Just in case anyone is confused as to exactly what I want to do here, I'll attach a little network diagram. Thanks for any input anyone can provide.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.gif
    Untitled-1.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 199
There are splitters, combiners, switches, diplexers, separators, and etc..., each has a purpose, some are combination devices, some are not; but most importantly some should not be used for the wrong purpose.

The DPP44 is a DishPro Plus switch, not a splitter. It is designed to take the signal from upto 4 satellites via DishPro or DishPro Plus LNBF's. These LNBF's uses bandstacking so that each may simultaneous send both polarities of a satellite signal to a switch or receiver at the same time. Then the DPP44 can send the signals of an even transponder and an odd transponder from the same satellite to two different receivers/tuners at the same time. It also has technology to send down a single cable, the same polarity signal from two different satellites at the same time for a dual tuner receiver.

However, this $200 device will not work as a $4 splitter. (Also, it can be a very sensitive device, and any current leaving the TV directly back to the DPP44 could damage it.)

I'm not familiar with the 942, but it sounds like it has a "single agile modulator output" for TV2, where as the 622 has a 'stereo agile modulator output" for TV1 and TV2.

It seems like it would be easy to get coax from the TV2 Output to the other 3 TV's using a 3 way splitter, and without much loss.

There are several ways to accomplish what you want to do, but mainly depending on where your current cable runs are.
If you currently have cables from the other 3 TV to the DPP44 location, you can easily take the TV2 output and send it to a 3-way splitter located near the DPP44 using two methods; (1) run another cable from TV2 output to the 3-way splitter, or (2) more easily would be to buy 2 diplexers ($2 each) and use one of the cables that go from the DPP44 to the 942. The 2 diplexers would combine the 2 signals and then split them when needed.

Looking at your diargram, you desire to take the TV2 output and input it into the DPP44 Satellite Input.
Although this will not work on the DPP44 or the DP34, I believe Sadoun has a generic switch similar to the DP34 that has a Antenna/Cable input built in, which will combine an RF signal with the satellite LNBF signal and send it to the satellite receiver. Then just before the satellite receiver, you use diplexer to separate the signal. However, there may be some drawbacks to using this generic switch, as well as losing the ability to use a single cable for DishPro Plus installations.

Bottom line, I think a $4 3-way splitter is your best bet. And maybe add $4-$5 for a couple of diplexers to avoid another cable run. $10 is better than damaging a $200 DPP44.

EDIT:
Somewhere there are plenty of "distribution diagrams" but I can not find them on the internet right now. I think they are Dish created diagrams. One of several would help, and if I find a link, I'll post it.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your explanation of the technologies, SmityWhity, and for the diagram, aaronhoes - it's posts like this which make this forum so helpful for weekend warriors like myself. :) Even though I can't use the DPP44 it still sounds like this should be very easy to setup, especially now that I have a more complete diagram to work with!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)