home plug for 722 internet

Don't forget that with a 2nd homeplug adapter you can still use your household wiring for the network connection. Just connect your DVR to the 2nd homeplug adapter via ethernet.

Don't forget that with a 2nd homeplug adapter you can still use your household wiring for the network connection. Just connect your DVR to the 2nd homeplug adapter via ethernet.

Exactly. That's how I have mine. Single port at the router, and a 4 port for the 722, PS3, and what ever else will need it in the future.

I think I understand. Just have 1 homeplug next to my router and the other near my receivers, then plug my receivers via cat5 to the second homeplug?

Are there homeplugs available with 2 ethernet ports on the plug (one for 722 and one for 622), or do I need a total of 3 homeplugs?

Will this reduced bandwidth be problematic when I upgrade to a 922? Should I consider using the bridge instead of HomePlug if I intend to view my DVR over internet or phone, etc.? Or is the only expected use of the HomePlug to allow remote access control? I hope that made sense.

I think I understand. Just have 1 homeplug next to my router and the other near my receivers, then plug my receivers via cat5 to the second homeplug?

Are there homeplugs available with 2 ethernet ports on the plug (one for 722 and one for 622), or do I need a total of 3 homeplugs?

Yes. Here is the one I have.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wall-Plugged-Ethernet-Switch-XE104/dp/B000ENOR3O/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242311970&sr=8-6]Amazon.com: NETGEAR 85 Mbps Wall-Plugged Ethernet Switch XE104 - Bridge + 4-port switch - EN, Fast EN, HomePlug 1.0: Electronics[/ame]

Cool. So what about the bandwidth issue (or is it an issue)?

...Will this reduced bandwidth be problematic when I upgrade to a 922? Should I consider using the bridge instead of HomePlug if I intend to view my DVR over internet or phone, etc.? Or is the only expected use of the HomePlug to allow remote access control? I hope that made sense.

Sorry. Can't help you there on any specific or exact numbers. I can say this though. I do a lot of online gaming with my PS3 with no lag issues, and it's connected to the 4 port adapter. Not sure if that will be a reasonable comparison to sling streaming.

why a homeplug receiver for the 722? it's built in...

oops. guess I should have read the whole thing before commenting. Here is an interesting problem though. what if I come over and plug into an outside outlet even so?

I can make a connection your 722. throught that I can get to the rest of your network.

you might want to look into a whole house solution. I have my house up north on a very large UPS i scavanged. It's big enough to run the whole house for 1 hour. If I only run 'important' thing it goes at least 4 hours.

They talk about home HomePlug on this month’s Tech Talk. You can get the information you are asking about from the horse’s mouth.

Aaron

I just went back and reread all 11 pages of:

HomePlug built into the 622, How cool is that? I also received my SlingLink Turbo HomePlug-to-Ethernet Adapter W1 while I was typing this. Everything is up and running fine, with my 722K and 222K plugged directly into the wall. (and your right, very cool!) Now I'm wondering if the cat5 Ethernet port on the 722K is live, and I can run a cable to my Oppo BDP- 83 to receive software updates? I don't have a cat5 pigtail thus the question.

Yea, I'm pretty nervous running the default password. I don't want someone using my outside wall plug to access my formally secure internal network. I wish dish would let us set the password.

Are you serious??? What are they going going to "hack" you with? Last time I looked my 722 didn't have a keyboard, let alone an OS that would fit the bill...

pabeader said:
oops. guess I should have read the whole thing before commenting. Here is an interesting problem though. what if I come over and plug into an outside outlet even so?

I can make a connection your 722. throught that I can get to the rest of your network.

I'd like to see this proven. I think you'll find your wrong. Making a connection to my 722 doesn't open up the rest of my network.

The problem about exposing the network is not the 722, its the HomePlug adapter that is connected to the home's router. Since the HomePlug adapter is left with the default password, anyone who has access to your Low Voltage wiring can access your router if they have their own Adapter.

This could be an outlet on the outside of your house, or even just a nearby neighbor who is serviced by the same transformer.

Well like I said, I think you'll find your wrong..

I have an open wireless router, and THAT doesn't give anyone access to my local network. It only gives someone access to my internet.
Could someone smarter figure it all out? Maybe, but I doubt it. I've tried all sorts of tools so see about my "insecurity" and nothing gets anywhere but to the internet.

I think if you search a little you'll find that it's just BS about someone hooking up a laptop to your outside plug and infiltrating your network.

Well like I said, I think you'll find your wrong..

I have an open wireless router, and THAT doesn't give anyone access to my local network. It only gives someone access to my internet.
Could someone smarter figure it all out? Maybe, but I doubt it. I've tried all sorts of tools so see about my "insecurity" and nothing gets anywhere but to the internet.

I think if you search a little you'll find that it's just BS about someone hooking up a laptop to your outside plug and infiltrating your network.

Actually, the dude is pretty much right if you don't secure your Homeplug devices. If a person plugged another Homeplug adapter to the outside of your house, they could plug right into your UNSECURED network AND access you network drives if they are shared.

The network would, of course, have to be UNSECURED.

Heh... what are the chances that your next door neighbor's 722 might find your router via HomePlug, or vice-versa? ;)

LOL..

Actually, the dude is pretty much right if you don't secure your Homeplug devices. If a person plugged another Homeplug adapter to the outside of your house, they could plug right into your UNSECURED network AND access you network drives if they are shared.

The network would, of course, have to be UNSECURED.

Try it, then report back.... :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)