Home Security Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
I would like to get your input pro and con on the following companies’ home security systems; I have done a Google and Yahoo search for comments, and wondered if any SatelliteGuys members have any preference and/or advise:

ADT

Brinks

AT&T Security / Protection One (Formally BellSouth Security)

And any benefits of using the major nationals over local businesses.

go with brinks. please don't go with ADT. I wound up canceling the service. they wouldn't fix the system even though it never worked right since the beginning. I ended up buying the board and the p/s over ebay to fix it myself. Next time i'll just install one of those wireless systems on ebay that are just as good if not better. i installed one for a buddy of mine and you can add all kinds of options. i programmed the system to call his cell phone and his wifes if the alarm sounds that way he'll call the cops if necessary.

I've got the best home security money can buy: a 75lb dog that sits in the window all day long. :)
Echo that, +/- a pound or two depending on what (or who!) she has eaten recently! And mine looks distinctly like a pit bull!

Echo problems with ADT. I don't have a home security system personally (other than the aforementioned dog) but I have experience with ADT as a member of the property association with my college fraternity. They came in lowest with the bid and did a fairly comprehensive, mostly trouble-free installation about 2 years ago. But since then the service has been less than stellar. I'm instructed to direct everything through my sales rep. but he rarely returns e-mails or calls, and their internal communications is quite poor at present. When I do manage to get ahold of him he says they are "too busy" and everyone "wears many hats" as excuses for the slow service. Join the club, buddy!

I used to work in this business so I so have some insight for you. You might do better to go with a local company that has their fragile reputation to protect, but if you plan on purchasing a monitoring agreement (and what is the service worth without one?) then make sure the local guy subs that out to a national service like UL. I like dealing with local guys but in this business there is a high turn-over rate so make sure you get one that's been in the business for some time and has solid references, the 2 best indicators that they will be around for a while!

You can go the DIY route to be sure, but you probably shouldn't do that until you clearly understand the equipment and its limitations. For instance, motion detectors are very tricky in some applications and can false alarm almost predictably. That's where having experience (i.e., an installer with a bunch of it) comes in handy. At least get 1-2 companies to bid your job first and ask a LOT of questions so you get a better understanding of the options and what might work best for you.

Good luck with it...

I own a small alarm business in Arizona. The one thing I can provide to my clients (and I have some substantial customers) that large national firms generally lack is timely and personalized service. National firms like ADT and Brinks usually install leased systems and installs proprietary hardwire; either you do business with them forever or you have to replace your equipment. Systems are monitored out of state. Service is based on a long-term contract that you are required to fulfill even if you are unhappy with the service they provide. Many systems are installed by dealers/subcontractors who perform the installs for the national firms. I do all my own installations. I provide local monitoring and service for my clients. If my clients need me they know they can call me directly and not have to call a 1-800 number and leave a message. My recommendation is....support your local businesses....in the long-term you will be much happier....remember the adage....you get what you pay for... If I can help you in your decision, please feel free to send my a message via this forum. Good Luck!!

Echo that, +/- a pound or two depending on what (or who!) she has eaten recently! And mine looks distinctly like a pit bull!

Echo problems with ADT. I don't have a home security system personally (other than the aforementioned dog) but I have experience with ADT as a member of the property association with my college fraternity. They came in lowest with the bid and did a fairly comprehensive, mostly trouble-free installation about 2 years ago. But since then the service has been less than stellar. I'm instructed to direct everything through my sales rep. but he rarely returns e-mails or calls, and their internal communications is quite poor at present. When I do manage to get ahold of him he says they are "too busy" and everyone "wears many hats" as excuses for the slow service. Join the club, buddy!

I used to work in this business so I so have some insight for you. You might do better to go with a local company that has their fragile reputation to protect, but if you plan on purchasing a monitoring agreement (and what is the service worth without one?) then make sure the local guy subs that out to a national service like UL. I like dealing with local guys but in this business there is a high turn-over rate so make sure you get one that's been in the business for some time and has solid references, the 2 best indicators that they will be around for a while!

You can go the DIY route to be sure, but you probably shouldn't do that until you clearly understand the equipment and its limitations. For instance, motion detectors are very tricky in some applications and can false alarm almost predictably. That's where having experience (i.e., an installer with a bunch of it) comes in handy. At least get 1-2 companies to bid your job first and ask a LOT of questions so you get a better understanding of the options and what might work best for you.

Good luck with it...

I have no problem when I am home (plenty of Firepower :)), but when I need to go to the VA clinic and travel out of state to visit the grandkids are the reasons why I am looking into getting a system.

And what a better place to ask!

Thank you for the ADT comments.

Brinks seems to do well and I can echo the sentiment about ADT, I had a cable customer this summer and ADT damaged a cable line and an electrical line and never realised it due to blind drilling.

I like the idea of a local alarm service so be sure to research them through the BBB but also with the local PD as well as they would deal with them first hand.

Brinks seems to do well and I can echo the sentiment about ADT, I had a cable customer this summer and ADT damaged a cable line and an electrical line and never realised it due to blind drilling.

I like the idea of a local alarm service so be sure to research them through the BBB but also with the local PD as well as they would deal with them first hand.

And, check with you state's registrar of contractors to make sure the alarm business has a current low-voltage contractor's license, is bonded and insured. :)

Find a LOCAL company. I had a system installed and monitored by a LOCAL company here in Austin, and got a name-brand board/system, and LOCAL monitoring.

And I OWN the system. I also have ALL the codes for it.

Find a LOCAL company. I had a system installed and monitored by a LOCAL company here in Austin, and got a name-brand board/system, and LOCAL monitoring.

And I OWN the system. I also have ALL the codes for it.

Did just that and I went with the local vendor. Thank you all for your input!:):up

I'm not sure if this is the best place to seek buying advice on purchasing a home security Toronto, but here goes... If I should post this elsewhere, please advise. I want a PVR home security system with both indoor and outdoor wireless cameras that allow me to use both my laptop with Mac OS X and my iphone to see the cameras on the internet. I also want IR night vision cameras and email motion-detector notifications. There is plenty of advice on the internet about such systems, but I want to hear from someone who personally successfully uses Mac OS X.

Can't comment on using MAc OS X with it, but since the interface is browser based it should work. I recently went with Vector Security which for the internet monitoring notifcation parts uses alarm.com and very pleases. The Cameras are IP based, but they feed to the Alarm.com website which does the video capture on their server. Base cameral serivce is $9.99 a month for all the cameras you can eat for I think 200MB of storage per month. After that is goes up at I think 500MB per $10 a month. Base monitoring is $40 a month and advanced notifcation to get e-mails when sensors are activated, both door/window and motion is an extra $5 a month. Total monitoring for me is $55 a month. Only had them a couple of months, but so far I'm very happy with them (for the installation) and their serivce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)