Home Theater Marquees

JAG72

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
Just wanted to find out how many people out there have a marquee for their home theater's. I have been thinking about creating one for the bottom of the stairs as you enter my room. I would like to hear what others have done with this idea. Please share your photos to help give some ideas.

HD MM

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
Just wanted to find out how many people out there have a marquee for their home theater's. I have been thinking about creating one for the bottom of the stairs as you enter my room. I would like to hear what others have done with this idea. Please share your photos to help give some ideas.

While not quite a "marquee", I did find a guy on eBay who makes custom wooden signs. You can pick a personal tag line or quote and two custom logo's. The signs are done on a made to order basis from a guy out of Michigan. He charges apx. $75 for these. I got one done when my HT was completed in the summer of '07.

Here's a few examples....

22939351_o.jpg

20221962_o.jpg

23640864_tp.jpg

JAG72

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
Those are pretty cool. I don't really care if it is a real marquee but I just want something special to help show off the room. I am having real fun putting the finishing touches on it right now.

HD MM

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
Those are pretty cool. I don't really care if it is a real marquee but I just want something special to help show off the room. I am having real fun putting the finishing touches on it right now.

Well, if your interested in the ones I posted above, just search "personalized custom wood signs, theater, movie, cinema" on eBay. I can definitely attest to the great quality as I own one for my HT. Everyone compliments me on it and it puts a nice finishing touch on the room.

jayn_j

jayn_j

Press On Regardless
Supporting Founder
Sep 29, 2003
Sheboygan, WI

I always recommend posters as a nice touch to the lobby/entranceway.

I started to write more on this, but I realized that posters deserve a thread of their own. I will start one here.

One thing though. The marquee posters that are on the individual theater entrances of multiplexes have started to apprear. I tend to think that backlighting one of these, and surrounding it with wood and rope lighting would make a stunning entranceway. I haven't seen one of these commercially yet, so it would be something you would have to custom build. OTOH, it would be unique.

This guy has a lot of inexpensive marquee products.
Theater Signs & Wall Art :: Home Theater Decor :: Stargate Cinema
I've seen some and they are reasonable bang for the buck, but can look a little cheap if you don't take the extra effort to mount them properly.

gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Stayed at a house in VA Beach a few months back for a meeting, had a badass theater room. Next to the door was a large clapper board, most of the bottom was blank and you were able to write in what was "now showing" and it had a catchy title at the top of the clapper board.

Attachments

• clapperboardL2_800w.jpg
    clapperboardL2_800w.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,077
jayn_j

jayn_j

Press On Regardless
Supporting Founder
Sep 29, 2003
Sheboygan, WI
Well, here are couple I found online:

©CinemaShop Home Theater Marquee Signs
MARQUEE SIGNS

Everybody seems to have the same 5 designs though and they don't seem worth the price for the most part.

Here is a pointer to the one you showed:
HOME MOVIE THEATER MARQUEE LIGHTBOX CUSTOM SIGN! For Sale
I'm not real fond of it because it appreas to be a simple black metal lightbox with the design being a mylar film that is rear projected. I would prefer something with some nice wood, or architectural molded and three dimensional. Not that it matters in my current rental :(

JAG72

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
If I do that I will only be buying the marquee and not the light box. I will build my own to make it look nice. I also am not fond of the black metal lightbox but it should not be to hard to build one myself. This is just one that I found originally that is why I wanted to get other suggestions to help me make a decision of which way to go.

jayn_j

jayn_j

Press On Regardless
Supporting Founder
Sep 29, 2003
Sheboygan, WI
If I do that I will only be buying the marquee and not the light box. I will build my own to make it look nice. I also am not fond of the black metal lightbox but it should not be to hard to build one myself. This is just one that I found originally that is why I wanted to get other suggestions to help me make a decision of which way to go.

I would be concerned with one thing with this guy. He doesn't talk about the technology he uses to create the films. I fear he is using an inkjet printer with normal ink. I have found that this produces colors that are more pastel than would be shown on the webpages, and worse, stuff that will fade in a few months time, depending on use.

This would last better if he is using a photographic or traditional lithographic procedure. If not, plan on replacing it regularly.

JAG72

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
I would be concerned with one thing with this guy. He doesn't talk about the technology he uses to create the films. I fear he is using an inkjet printer with normal ink. I have found that this produces colors that are more pastel than would be shown on the webpages, and worse, stuff that will fade in a few months time, depending on use.

This would last better if he is using a photographic or traditional lithographic procedure. If not, plan on replacing it regularly.

This is what he stated about what is used for printing.

"The Ultimate is printed on a true backlit film and uses 100-200 yr pigment ink."

I have been reading forums in regards to arcade style video cabinets and most everybody is reccommending the site I linked to earlier.

jayn_j

jayn_j

Press On Regardless
Supporting Founder
Sep 29, 2003
Sheboygan, WI
"The Ultimate is printed on a true backlit film and uses 100-200 yr pigment ink."

I missed that in the link I posted. That's the right description for what you need. Sounds like a winner.