Homemade c/ku lnbf

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
Hey guys, I want to tell everyone about my latest backyard achievement.
I made a homemade c/ku lnbf combo that works great.

I started off with an Astrotel 20 degree c-band prime focus lnbf and a DMS international bullet style .6 KU offset lnbf.

I removed the plastic cover and feedhorn cap from the dms KU lnbf. I held the ku lnbf's feedhorn up to the back of the c-band lnbf and noticed that the diameters of the c-band feedhorn and outer KU band lnbf's feedhorn was near the same diameter. I used a dremel and cut off the outermost two rings from the KU lnbf. I did this for the sole purpose of making it fit.

From an engineering point of view I have no idea what this did for the f/d, gain, or cross-pol isolation.

I used a holesaw and cut out the back of the c-band lnbf. I used a protractor and found the center of the bore. I used a grinding stone and smoothed the edges so the remains of the trimmed KU band feedhorn fit tightly in the hole in the rear of the c-band lnbf.

I carefully lined up the vertical and horizontal probes between the two lnbf's.
this is to preserve skew and polarity fine tuning. You can do this by just looking down the c-band lnbf's feedhorn.

to secure everything, I used some metal epoxy from the hardware store or some folks call it "liquid steel". I let it cure and installed it on the dish.

On my 8.5 foot sami mesh bud, I tuned in G-10R KU band. I started with that pathetic 11718V transponder that is soooo weak. On my 90 cm patriot offset dish i only get 45% signal quality on a nice day with my pansat 2500.

On the big dish I have 90% !!!! I thought I would never see the tube come in so strong.

c-band reception seems unaffected. Percentages on all sats are the same for c-band. KU reception is so much stronger on the big mesh dish than the 90 cm patriot.

I know the KU lnbf is for an offset dish, but the only difference I could see in the internal design of the feed is the scalar rings being enlongated in a telescopic pattern where as the prime focus designs are always flat rings.

This works great, I wanted everyone to know so some of you can make your own. I do not have a digital camera yet, or I would post some pics.

That's cool. Another user here tried the Very same with an ASC421 and an offset Ku LNB. I think in his case his signal went down for both C and Ku. His was an offset dish though. I'm glad it worked for you!

Since I have the C/Ku feedhorn / rotor I went ahead and ordered a pair of Norsats for it. I'm sure your setup was MUCH more cost effective :).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts