Homepage Poll

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

What Should We Do With The Homepage?

• Keep it As Is... just Satellite and Site News

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Keep it and add breaking Electronics News.

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Get Rid of it.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Well as you have seen there hasn't been much satellite industry news to talk about as of late, so our homepage has been kind of stagnant.

I have been thinking about getting rid of the homepage so when you come to the site you come directly to our main forums listings.

I have talked to a few members about this a few say remove it and a few others say to post other news items. As it turns out many people get much of their news about electronics, smartphone and other electronics from us first.

Now in the past some folks have been upset about the news link posts, while others love them as they say it makes SatelliteGuys their one stop for all things electronic.

If we do get rid of it, if there is breaking news, this software has a number of ways we can notify members online of the breaking news.

So I come to you our members and ask for the best course of direction.

Get Rid of It
Add Breaking Electronics News
Keep it as it is just satellite.

This poll will be open for the next 24 hours.

My bookmark for SatelliteGuys is the "New Posts" link, so I couldn't care less.

I think the main page is nice for major things like the Sinclair dispute.

When I come to SatGuys I go directly to Watched Forums... Hardly ever look at the home page...

Before Xenforo, you were using aother forum package whose name escapes me at the moment. Ad revenue tanked, and at that time, you suggested it might be problems with Google indexing the home page. Since the results so far are about half think adding more news is good, and half don't care, I think you should use ad revenue as your guide.

Google changesthe way it judges pages all the time. At one time they liked a lot of links, then later on they didn't like link, then they liked them again...

We have moved away from Google Adsense so what Google thinks does not matter much, and as far as revenue goes as long as we are paying our bills I am happy. And plus we have the great support of our pub members so we have money aside for those rainy months so that we can keeop the lights on. :)

Reactions: KE4EST and TheKrell
I have my watched threads bookmarked, so that is how I land on the site. Haven't seen the homepage in months.

So far it looks like Keep it and add breaking electronics news is winning.

The poll is only open until tomorrow so vote now. :D

I don't use my bookmarks anymore. I just click the frequently visited sites that pop up when I open a new tab in Firefox. That takes me to the home page.

I have the Forums bookmarked so I rarely see the Home Page but once in a while.
Doesn't matter either way, I suppose if your gonna keep it, you may as well post whatever is Hot at the time in the industry ... if Sat news is slow, post electronics news.

Thanks for your feedback folks. I will now let the staff mull it over and decide what it best. I will make an announcement on Monday from what they have decided.

Status
Not open for further replies.