Homeplug adapter or ethernet switch??

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I'm trying to determine to best method of installing broadband to my 622. I have a router installed in a bedroom in the back room of my house, and I have a cat5 cable run under the floor to my living room for my Xbox 360. I know I can install an ethernet switch in the living room and then run cables to my Xbox and also my 622. But I also saw where I can install a Homeplug-to-Ethernet Adapter. Does anyone know the advantages and disadvantages of each of these methods? Will one connection allow more speed than the other (for VOD movies)? And will both of these methods let me do away with my current phone line? Thanks.

I would have to say that the direct ethernet connection thru the switch would probably be the best way to do it, a direct wired connection is always your best option. Also, from what I gather you do not have to have it on a phone line since you will be connected via ethernet.

I'm using a slinglink turbo (homeplug compliant) for my slingbox to router connection. Works great and seems to be as just fast as my wireless network. Simple setup. So simple I thought to myself, 'This is never going to work'

The room the router is also on a different panel than where the slingbox is located.

While I like HomePlug for convinence, ethernet is a superior network technology. So if you have to option to do either, then go with ethernet. If ethernet is not an option or just a pain, then HomePlug should do well.

The Dish 622 has a HomePlug 1.0 chip which will support speeds up to 14Mbps. So it should exceed your DSL and most other residential HSI services.

BTW: HomePlug is symmetrical, so its 14Mbbs up/down.

Actually I have a 2nd 622 in my bedroom that I wasn't even thinking about. I don't have any internet connection in that room. So I guess the Homelink would be the best choice to get broadband connection for both 622's?

OK, after a visit to Radio Shack, I have another question. I can buy an ethernet switch cheaper than a Homeplug adapter. So my question is, can I install an ethernet switch in the living room to share my cat5 cable with the 622 and my Xbox, and then link the two 622's together using Dishcomm. By doing this will I be able to download VOD content to my second 622 using the Dishcomm from the 622 in the living room?

Right now I think that Dish Comm only supports Phone Line sharing between 622s. I don't think that they share content (ie recorded shows) or internet connectivity at this time, and I'm not sure if they ever will. Technically both are very possible though.

As of today, each 622 has to have its own internet connection provided by a router/switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)