Homeplug question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

andrewj0781

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2009
Altoona, Pennsylvania, United States
Does anyone know where you can get a homeplug cheap? I currently have a 2 netgears one plug in near the router and a cat5 from the router running to that one. Another plug in near my Dish 722 ( I know it's to have one built in but can't get it to work) and a cat 5 running from the 722 to the home plug. If I want to run another homeplug to a computer will the one from the router power both home plugs?

Would something like this simplify your life?

brite-View LinkE pipes content to four Ethernet sources over existing powerline network -- Engadget

I'm sure it's not quite what you're asking for, but the ability to plug a bunch of network devices (722, Blu-ray player, game console, etc) into one jack behind your TV sure looks attractive to me. About your 722 problem; are you plugging it directly into the wall or the HomePlug-certified port on your surge protector? A plain surge protector won't allow the 722's built-in HomePlug network device to function.

You should only need one HomePlug device near your router, and then any other HomePlug device works in a sort of ad-hoc mode; you can theoretically extend the network just by adding more devices at will.

Would something like this simplify your life?

brite-View LinkE pipes content to four Ethernet sources over existing powerline network -- Engadget

I'm sure it's not quite what you're asking for, but the ability to plug a bunch of network devices (722, Blu-ray player, game console, etc) into one jack behind your TV sure looks attractive to me. About your 722 problem; are you plugging it directly into the wall or the HomePlug-certified port on your surge protector? A plain surge protector won't allow the 722's built-in HomePlug network device to function.

You should only need one HomePlug device near your router, and then any other HomePlug device works in a sort of ad-hoc mode; you can theoretically extend the network just by adding more devices at will.

Not fully what I need. I need one more single port. I need it plug in two different places. I have a computer I need for one and right now one for the 722. I moved the 722 plug to the normal wall outlet but I keep getting zeros for an ip address, mac address, etc. Not sure why it won't connect. I hit reset network setting and goes back to zeros as well.

Last edited:
I purchased the SlingLink Turbo W1 Homeplug-Ethernet Adapter on ebay ($29) and am hoping the setup on my 722 is self explanatory. I went to Dish's instructions but they weren't really clear.

It really is simple. Go into menu page 6-1-8 on your 722 and let it do its search. It will find the Slinglink adapter and that's it. I would probably also go into 6-1-9 myself and do a reset connection just to make sure it actually does grab an IP.

It really is simple. Go into menu page 6-1-8 on your 722 and let it do its search. It will find the Slinglink adapter and that's it. I would probably also go into 6-1-9 myself and do a reset connection just to make sure it actually does grab an IP.
Thanks.

And is the homelink in all 722s?

I have one 722 I "bought" when it was just released, and another I got a year later that is also a 722, but with a larger hard drive. Just making sure I don't have to swap 722s around.

One of my 722s goes through a UPS which may not be homelink compatible, but the other, for better or worse, is connected direct to the outlet thus I was going to use it with the Slinglink.

Thanks,

-todd

All the ViP marked receivers are supposed to have the capability as I recall. If you have the DishCOMM menu 6-1-8 you are already set. It is all synonomous with one another. DishCOMM, homelink, homeplug, slinglink...

The UPS is not going to work in this scenario. The whole homeplug system is very picky. Unless your power equipment, UPS, power strips, or otherwise, are marked as having a compatible socket for homeplug devices, the receivers and any other equipment you wish to have linked up including the slinglink ethernet adapter must be plugged directly into a wall socket.

Will homeplug work in an older house that does not have the third ground wire in the electric cabling and the old turn style fuse box?

Last edited:
Yep. Though it may have more difficulty. My house is the same way and even though both boxes are on the same circuit my signal always shows up as poor on both and doesn't always work. Mine I just use for the caller ID from one box to another. It comes and goes whether it decides to work or not.

Hey, that was easy!

I was a little concerned because this is a newly purchased home and we have a "whole house" surge protector on the breaker box downstairs. However, plugging the SlingLink directly in to the wall worked just fine and the 722 picked it right up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts