Homeworx HW-150PVR Guide Issue

FTA4PA

Satellite Guys Family
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 13, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
Hi all! We have been using our Homeworx HW-150PVR for sometime now and have always been happy with it except for one thing - the guide. When we are watching something (or more importantly recording something) it often (although not always) pops up on it's own to show what is on next. The sound even cuts out for a second while it loads. I have not found a way to disable it. I was hoping someone out there might know of a 'magic key press' on the remote or firmware version that disables this annoying 'feature'. If that is not an option, I would like to hear what brands & models others have had good experiences with and only show the guide when you request it. Must have pvr capability and/or composite/s-video + l/r audio out to connect to our external dvd recorder.
Thanks! :)

When we are watching something (or more importantly recording something) it often (although not always) pops up on it's own to show what is on next
never seen that on my 150 when I had it set up.

My HW-150 is working fine. Have you tried the Mediasonic forum for help?
Yes, checked out the forum but couldn't find anything that sounded like the issue. I was thinking of trying other firmware versions but can't find them for download any more. Also wouldn't be sure which one to use if I could since there are all kinds of warnings about not loading certain firmware versions on different releases of the box. For example the newest box I saw mentioned in the posts said it came with V1 firmware yet the older boxes have V8, V10, V13, V14, V18. Load the wrong one and you brick it. :(

It's probably dropping signal maybe even not too noticeable, which prompts a guide reload.
Only does it on the half-hour or hour (like 9:30am or 10:00pm or 3:00pm). Also only does it sometimes and never at an odd time like say 5:14pm. Very annoying when you are watching (recording) an hour long program and a half hour into it the box pops up by itself to tell you what's on! Figure I'll just have to get another box that doesn't have the same behavior if I can get some recommendations for a quality one. :)

Only does it on the half-hour or hour (like 9:30am or 10:00pm or 3:00pm). Also only does it sometimes and never at an odd time like say 5:14pm. Very annoying when you are watching (recording) an hour long program and a half hour into it the box pops up by itself to tell you what's on! Figure I'll just have to get another box that doesn't have the same behavior if I can get some recommendations for a quality one. :)

Well, I'll tell you this much: I've been researching ALL the various OTA dvr type systems for over 1 year now. I took longer as new ones came to market here and there. Avsforum is a good place for you to check yourself.

After all this, the ONLY one that fits the bill for me as bullet (and wife proof) is a Tivo. I feel that none of the others can be trusted to hold up and keep data free (except a pc running the Media Player dvr, which is not so wife friendly)

Yes, a TiVo is quite pricey with everything up front, however, if you calculate from a standpoint of how much you were paying for Dish or cable, it pays for itself the first year. Then it's free! That means you are probably saving $1,000 a year from that point on versus cable or Dish

Yes, checked out the forum but couldn't find anything that sounded like the issue. I was thinking of trying other firmware versions but can't find them for download any more. Also wouldn't be sure which one to use if I could since there are all kinds of warnings about not loading certain firmware versions on different releases of the box. For example the newest box I saw mentioned in the posts said it came with V1 firmware yet the older boxes have V8, V10, V13, V14, V18. Load the wrong one and you brick it. :(
Firmware is very specific to the serial number of the unit. You have to email the distributors help site and they may offer you an update.

...the ONLY one that fits the bill for me as bullet (and wife proof) is a Tivo. I feel that none of the others can be trusted to hold up and keep data free (except a pc running the Media Player dvr, which is not so wife friendly)
Tivo is much like Windows Media Center (WMC). A good choice but expensive in comparison, if a person already has Windows 7 (WMC is included free). Just connect computer to HDTV via HDMI or VGA, add a USB ATSC tuner, set it up and Voila, a DVR.

Here's a comparison review of TIVO vs. WMC:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/05/tivo-premiere-vs-windows-7-media-center/

Hi all! We have been using our Homeworx HW-150PVR for sometime now and have always been happy with it except for one thing - the guide. When we are watching something (or more importantly recording something) it often (although not always) pops up on it's own to show what is on next.....
I have a Homeworx 150 that I used for about a week and don't recall that particular problem but it did have others. The guide usually had the wrong description for a program and any drop out in OTA signal would cause the playback of recorded shows to stop at the first hint of signal dropout (interference from planes, cars, distant lightning). Very annoying, especially since a computer would play the recordings fine with very little indication of a problem.

Regarding your problem, try covering the Homeworx's IR sensor (or the whole front) for a while to see if it is getting a spurious IR signal that may cause the guide to pop up.

Just a shot in the dark.

DRCars

Firmware is very specific to the serial number of the unit. You have to email the distributors help site and they may offer you an update.
Thanks, I may give that a try before investing in another unit. You shouldn't have to ask them for firmware though. You would think that instead of having all those confusing weird releases with newer units getting lower firmware versions, they would just have a download page that says if you have XXXXX serial number thru XXXXX use this one and so on with the firmwares numbered sequentially and if you choose to load the wrong one then too bad. :)

Well, I'll tell you this much: I've been researching ALL the various OTA dvr type systems for over 1 year now. I took longer as new ones came to market here and there. Avsforum is a good place for you to check yourself.

After all this, the ONLY one that fits the bill for me as bullet (and wife proof) is a Tivo. I feel that none of the others can be trusted to hold up and keep data free (except a pc running the Media Player dvr, which is not so wife friendly)

Yes, a TiVo is quite pricey with everything up front, however, if you calculate from a standpoint of how much you were paying for Dish or cable, it pays for itself the first year. Then it's free! That means you are probably saving $1,000 a year from that point on versus cable or Dish
Tivo is much like Windows Media Center (WMC). A good choice but expensive in comparison, if a person already has Windows 7 (WMC is included free). Just connect computer to HDTV via HDMI or VGA, add a USB ATSC tuner, set it up and Voila, a DVR.

Here's a comparison review of TIVO vs. WMC:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/05/tivo-premiere-vs-windows-7-media-center/

I have a Homeworx 150 that I used for about a week and don't recall that particular problem but it did have others. The guide usually had the wrong description for a program and any drop out in OTA signal would cause the playback of recorded shows to stop at the first hint of signal dropout (interference from planes, cars, distant lightning). Very annoying, especially since a computer would play the recordings fine with very little indication of a problem.

DRCars
I hear the TIVO's are very nice but no cable here (just a handful of OTA channels) so a bit of overkill in our situation and not looking for anything with a monthly fee involved. Agree that the wife-friendly idea is the way to go. We just need a simple, quality, buy-it-once and its your tuner that can function as a pvr w/ external drive and/or has rca/s-video + l/r audio to connect to our dvd recorder in the living room. We do have a dual-boot system with Windows 7 (WMC) and Ubuntu Linux (Kodi) in the bedroom but my wife has to ask me which programs to run when she wants to do anything as it is. I would never expect here to remember how to navigate WMC/Kodi and watch/schedule programs. I constantly hear how complicated things are already so I don't want to throw too much at her and get her mad at me.:argue
I saw this on Amazon today: Amazon product ASIN B00RDQGBIE Although the newer version of the Mediasonic Homeworx (HW180STB) appears to be a bigger seller, the Iview has a better rating and price. Anyone have experience with this? Praise? Concerns? Thanks! :)

Last edited:
From what I have read the ivew is a slightly different implementation of the same box as the HW-150. You may have already found this but there is a lot of info over at the AVSForum:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...-tuner-dvr-owners-thread.html?highlight=iview
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...0pvr-support-discussion.html?highlight=hw+150

DRCars
No, I hadn't seen those. The menus of the Iview look almost exactly like the ones on my Homeworx HW-150PVR so if they aren't the same company (as they say) then one of them was 'borrowing' from the other. Got me wondering whether I should go with something entirely different.

I haven't heard of anyone else having the same problem with the guide pop-up, here in this thread or elsewhere. Could be your HW-150 is just going flakey and if you like it you could just get another one. They are cheap enough to be considered disposable.

BTW, did you try covering the front for a while to see if it stops the problem from occurring? Something in your house may be causing the issue. Maybe the remote itself is going flakey. Stranger things have happened.

BTW2, I'm not sure there is such a thing as "something entirely different" for anywhere near the same cost.

DRCars

I haven't heard of anyone else having the same problem with the guide pop-up, here in this thread or elsewhere. Could be your HW-150 is just going flakey and if you like it you could just get another one. They are cheap enough to be considered disposable.

BTW, did you try covering the front for a while to see if it stops the problem from occurring? Something in your house may be causing the issue. Stranger things have happened.

BTW2, I'm not sure there is such a thing as "something entirely different" for anywhere near the same cost.

DRCars
I have not tried covering the front to see if there's a difference. It's been 'doing it's thing' off and on since shortly after we got it (probably a couple years now) so we may just have a dud. Agree about cost, will probably give the Iview a shot first in hope's that it functions better and then go from there if it doesn't. I will use Scott's link to buy it from Amazon so Satellite Guys gets a little something as well. Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts