Hooking reciever to internet

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If I am going to do this I might as well hook up my PS2 also. Lets see if I got this straight. I will need a wireless router, wireless game adapter with ethernet port for dish reciever and wireless game adapter with usb port for PS2.

Will any wireless router work? I will put the router where my computer is so I don't have to worry about wireless for it. Will I still us my Westwell modem router for the computer or how will computer connect? I know this is alot but maybe somebody can straighten me out or tell me who to go talk to about this.

If I am going to do this I might as well hook up my PS2 also. Lets see if I got this straight. I will need a wireless router, wireless game adapter with ethernet port for dish reciever and wireless game adapter with usb port for PS2.

Will any wireless router work? I will put the router where my computer is so I don't have to worry about wireless for it. Will I still us my Westwell modem router for the computer or how will computer connect? I know this is alot but maybe somebody can straighten me out or tell me who to go talk to about this.

I assume your computer has an ethernet port. Use a cat5 cable to connect the PC's ethernet port to the router. The router and DSL modem are usually located together. They don't have to be but since they have to be connected by cable, it makes the task easier. As long as the wireless game adapters broadcast on a standard the router understands, e.g., 802.11b/g, any router will do. I'm partial to Linksys and Netgear routers. Cost is anywhere from $28 - $150 depending on what you buy and the features. The DSL modem is connected to the phone line and the router is connected to the DSL modem with a cat5 cable. The PC and other devices are either connected via their ethernet ports with cat5 cable to the router or wirelessly. USB wireless adapters will not work with the Vip receivers. You have to use a wireless game adapter or wireless bridge connected by cat5 to the receiver's ethernet port.

Homeplug or Game Adapter

So which is the cheaper route to go? Will any game adapter work on the 722? I already have my computer on a wireless router so you just plug in the game adapter into the 722 and it pretty much runs? thanks for any help on this.

Ron

So which is the cheaper route to go? Will any game adapter work on the 722? I already have my computer on a wireless router so you just plug in the game adapter into the 722 and it pretty much runs? thanks for any help on this.

Ron

Yeh for the most part. If you have your router locked down for security, you'll have to enter the MAC for the wireless game adapter to the list of wireless devices allowed to connect to the router or do whatever you need to do depending on the wireless security features you have enabled on the router.

Thanks. It all makes sence now. I have order a Linksys router and will look for adapters. Looks like the adapters can be pricey. I check around.

I assume your computer has an ethernet port. Use a cat5 cable to connect the PC's ethernet port to the router. The router and DSL modem are usually located together. They don't have to be but since they have to be connected by cable, it makes the task easier. As long as the wireless game adapters broadcast on a standard the router understands, e.g., 802.11b/g, any router will do. I'm partial to Linksys and Netgear routers. Cost is anywhere from $28 - $150 depending on what you buy and the features. The DSL modem is connected to the phone line and the router is connected to the DSL modem with a cat5 cable. The PC and other devices are either connected via their ethernet ports with cat5 cable to the router or wirelessly. USB wireless adapters will not work with the Vip receivers. You have to use a wireless game adapter or wireless bridge connected by cat5 to the receiver's ethernet port.

Here is a question . . . do you think if I asked the installer (he is adding a second receiver in a few weeks) to run 2 Ethernet lines with the coaxial he has to run, he will do it for me if I throw him some cash?

Here is a question . . . do you think if I asked the installer (he is adding a second receiver in a few weeks) to run 2 Ethernet lines with the coaxial he has to run, he will do it for me if I throw him some cash?

it wouldn't hurt to ask as long as he knows what an ethernet cable is :D

I have my 722 hooked up to a HomePlug adapter via the ethernet port and my caller id works just fine. No phone line. I use the ethernet port because I have the AC cord plugged into a surge protector instead of straight to an outlet.. HomePlug doesn't function through most surge protectors. So not sure if caller id would work through the power plugged directly to an outlet only connection. Don't see why it wouldn't.

I think he meant seeing the caller ID on the TV screen. Does yours do that without a phone line?

Mitch

I was thinking if I have 2 25' Etheneet cables and just asking to run them for me; if he offered to even hook them up and such through wall plates, I give him a few extra dollars.

if this is not something you feel comfortable doing then i would ask the installer.

You wouldn't necessarily buy separate adapters for both the PS2 and your receiver. I have a single wireless router from Buffalo that has 4 ports and can be configured as a bridge to my other wireless router. From that Buffalo router, I'm able to plug in my TV, my receiver, and my 722 -- each of which has Ethernet connections. And, you get to do it with one device rather than separate ones for each.

I agree with this. If it's that difficult and you can't do it yourself, you'll be better off financially to just use wireless. Do you have a multistory home? A basement?

Well, I live in an apartment, so this isn't an option for me, but my girlfriend's mom is looking into general networking options. Her house is somewhat strange though; it is huge and has two floors, but there are two sets of two floors. In other words, you walk in and there are some stairs to take you up to a couple of bedrooms. If you walk past those stairs to the back side of the house with the master bedroom, there is another set of stairs to take you up to a large gameroom. The two upstairs areas are not connected; in between them is a large living room on the ground floor with massive ceilings (it costs a fortune to keep this place cool in the summer). Either way, there are two separate attics, and I have never done any wiring; the closest I have come to that is making my own crossover cable from an ethernet cable. I was just trying to give her advice about how much it should cost to run ethernet through the house (maybe cost per room, or something?). She has wireless now, with a repeater somewhere in the mix, but the signal is very fickle. She also wants to hook her satellite receivers all up to the internet for ppv's (she has D*; boo! just kidding...).

Well, I live in an apartment, so this isn't an option for me, but my girlfriend's mom is looking into general networking options. Her house is somewhat strange though; it is huge and has two floors, but there are two sets of two floors. In other words, you walk in and there are some stairs to take you up to a couple of bedrooms. If you walk past those stairs to the back side of the house with the master bedroom, there is another set of stairs to take you up to a large gameroom. The two upstairs areas are not connected; in between them is a large living room on the ground floor with massive ceilings (it costs a fortune to keep this place cool in the summer). Either way, there are two separate attics, and I have never done any wiring; the closest I have come to that is making my own crossover cable from an ethernet cable. I was just trying to give her advice about how much it should cost to run ethernet through the house (maybe cost per room, or something?). She has wireless now, with a repeater somewhere in the mix, but the signal is very fickle. She also wants to hook her satellite receivers all up to the internet for ppv's (she has D*; boo! just kidding...).

Most will provide an estimate for the work. If you'll look in the yellow pages under Computer-Networks and make some calls I think you'll get some idea of the cost. Also check with local computer stores. I know guys who have a repair shop who do house networking. I think the Geek Squad at Best Buy probably also does network installs. It's not that hard. You need to make cat 5 cable runs to all locations and connect back to a multiport switch (not expensive). The switch is then connected to a router (a router is also a switch but may not have enough ports) and the router to whatever broadband modem you have. Labor will be the largest portion of the cost. They may recommend a hybrid system, where part of the house is wired and part has wireless access points. Look for plumbing runs between floors as a convenient spot to fish cable. Interior walls are usually void of insulation, so they are preferred to exterior walls. Sometimes it is easier to make runs outside the house and then drill through the wall to pull the cable in. Your cable is exposed to the elements so it's a good idea to hide it in the siding or soffet wherever possible. Some of the newer wireless routers have pretty phenominal range. It's also possible to set up wireless access points all over a house and have them bridge back to a wireless router. either by cable or wireless. Larger antennas can also be used to increase signal gain.