Hooking reciever to internet

So, holdup, I think I missed the train awhile ago. So, a wireless gaming adapter will work just fine with a ViP 622? Any one want to share which model/brand they are using? I wanted to connect the receiver to the Wi-Fi network for the longest time, especially if they are going to start allowing downloads of 1080p content, but always thought HomePlug was the only option (which I did not want to pay for). If I can just use a wireless gaming adapter and connect via Cat5 that would be great.

Most will provide an estimate for the work. If you'll look in the yellow pages under Computer-Networks and make some calls I think you'll get some idea of the cost. Also check with local computer stores. I know guys who have a repair shop who do house networking. I think the Geek Squad at Best Buy probably also does network installs. It's not that hard. You need to make cat 5 cable runs to all locations and connect back to a multiport switch (not expensive). The switch is then connected to a router (a router is also a switch but may not have enough ports) and the router to whatever broadband modem you have. Labor will be the largest portion of the cost. They may recommend a hybrid system, where part of the house is wired and part has wireless access points.

Thanks for the great info. A hybrid system might be the way to go. As it stands, there are three sat receivers and one desktop downstairs that would be optimally hard wired, as well as a sat receiver in the game room. For the upstairs bedrooms though, there are no tv's or desktops. She already has the wireless equipment, so maybe we could optimize it to make sure there is good coverage in the bedrooms and downstairs, and not have to worry about the game room. She already has the wireless equipment, so there wouldn't be any additional capital cost for that. I will try to find a local installer who would do the job. Thanks again!

Thanks for the great info. A hybrid system might be the way to go. As it stands, there are three sat receivers and one desktop downstairs that would be optimally hard wired, as well as a sat receiver in the game room. For the upstairs bedrooms though, there are no tv's or desktops. She already has the wireless equipment, so maybe we could optimize it to make sure there is good coverage in the bedrooms and downstairs, and not have to worry about the game room. She already has the wireless equipment, so there wouldn't be any additional capital cost for that. I will try to find a local installer who would do the job. Thanks again!

No problem. Hope it works out.

So, holdup, I think I missed the train awhile ago. So, a wireless gaming adapter will work just fine with a ViP 622? Any one want to share which model/brand they are using? I wanted to connect the receiver to the Wi-Fi network for the longest time, especially if they are going to start allowing downloads of 1080p content, but always thought HomePlug was the only option (which I did not want to pay for). If I can just use a wireless gaming adapter and connect via Cat5 that would be great.
While it's a little pricey ($100) I chose this gaming adapter:

Linksys - Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming Adapter - WGA600N

I went with this one because a friend had one and raved about it. It works great for me with my 622 and I like the small footprint....

Any of them from Linksys, Netgear, or D-Link, ... should work. If possible I usually try to stick with one from the same manufacturer as the wireless router. This is an old prejudice of mine remaining from years ago. You have to decide what bandwidth you want, b, g, or n. The price increases with bandwidth of course.

Cosmo and Laddy, thanks alot! Glad to know. I have a Linksys Router and no need for anything over G MIMO, so will start shopping. I could just never justify to myself the purchase of HomePlug because I already had a network set up and did not want to buy it just to only ever connect the 622. I figured that in the future Dish might incorporate Wi-Fi in their receivers, and if so, then I could just use the adapter on a PS2 or something else.

Now I'm curious. How does the receiver know what is coming in over your phone line if it is not connect to it?

Thanks, Mitch

Ok, now you have me second guessing myself. I will check when I get home and make sure that in fact exactly how and what I have hooked up and let you know.

If you've got multiple devices you want to hook up wirelessly, the cheapest way is probably a wireless bridge. Many routers can be flashed with 3rd party firmware (dd-wrt, tomato, etc) to enable bridge mode. I've got my 722 and XBox360 running off a Linksys WRT-54g flashed with dd-wrt. Works great, and cost me around $40.

If you just want to hook up the 622/722, Amazon has the ZyXEL NBG-318S router with built-in Homeplug for around $40. I believe you can just use the Homeplug off it if you don't want to replace your exising router.

I was thinking if I have 2 25' Etheneet cables and just asking to run them for me; if he offered to even hook them up and such through wall plates, I give him a few extra dollars.

Just wanted to point out that the 25' ethernet cables bought from say walmart with preterminated ends ARE NOT the kind you put in your walls. For starters, to hook them up to a wall plate you would have to cut off the ends and reterminate it. For seconds it is not rated for wall use and an inspector may bust you for it if something happens (heaven forbid).

I also wanted to make a comment on the gaming adapters... JayStil mentioned bridging with another router. If the gaming adapters work the way that I think they do, plugging one of them into a switch then plugging your other components into a switch should give you the same effect of using 2 routers without having to flash any firmware (which if you mess up can perminately destroy your router). Again, I have not tested this theory, so I could be way off on it. Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

Oh, and where I work, we charge $90 per hour to pull wire plus cost of cable (This is in north alabama)and depending on the job, it can take 4 hours easy. Just thought I would throw that out to give you people looking an estimate on what it would cost.

Last edited:
Would like to thank you for the help. All went well. Got a linksys router and adapter. Was very easy to get going. I am shocked at the dish on demand movie prices. $6.99 is a little steep I think even if they are in DD.

So what happens after you connect the 622/722 to your home network? Are there menu's that automatically appear? Do you have to access a website for downloads? I can find no information on this at Dishnetwork.com. "John"

So what happens after you connect the 622/722 to your home network? Are there menu's that automatically appear? Do you have to access a website for downloads? I can find no information on this at Dishnetwork.com. "John"

The biggest thing is the Sling Guide beta program. Do your DVR stuff over the web. Pretty cool so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)