Hooking up a meter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jfonman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2007
Ok, I'm needing to move my Slimline due to a neighbors tree. I was just reading a set of instructions for mounting and adjusting it and I ran across something that lost me. Int the first line on page 8 it says set the meter for 101 degrees RHCP. Then on down a little it says do not connect the meter directly to 110 119 LNB. I haven't taken anything apart yet. I'm assuming they're marked? RHCP. what the hell is that? Then on down it says set the meter to 119 RHCP. Is it me, or is the kind of redundant? First it says not to put a meter on 119, then it says put a meter on 119. I'm a touch lost. I'm sure there's a logical explanation.

:confused:

I don't think I have the same set of instructions, but here goes. "Set the in-line signal meter for 101* RHCP reception (13 volts with no 22KHZ tone). Alternate method is to select 101* satellite and an odd transponder on the customers receiver to power the LNB." Just connect you meter to anyone of the lines coming off the LNB and connect to the receiver. In the tuning mode on the receiver it selects the satellite and voltage sent out to the dish.

Ok, thanks boba. The part where do not connect was bold and highlit kind of bothered me for a bit. I'll give it a shot this weekend. What's the worst that can happen!!! HAHA

HAHAHAH Yea, that was said as a joke. Many bad things could, and probably will, and definitely have happened, trust me!!!

For Gods Sake Man Call For Relocate Or Service Call.....dont Make It Worse When We Get Here...lol

Well Cableman, I would but I know they'll send the same goofball that has been here twice already. I think there's only one install company in my area, and they have one installer. I work with structured cabling in my line of work, true, not satellite, but I can't do any worse than some of the guys I been reading about. I know it's a different ballgame than computer and phone setups, but I have set up a few of the older satellites for several different people/reasons. All I'm going to have to do, hopefully, is just move it from the deck railing to the roof. Plumb the mast and readjust the azimuth. Tilt and skew should be ok. I've got a birdog I use for work in some instances, so I'm not totally clueless, except when I read instructions. Thanks for looking out for me though! HAHAHHAHA

Ok, I'm needing to move my Slimline due to a neighbors tree. I was just reading a set of instructions for mounting and adjusting it and I ran across something that lost me. Int the first line on page 8 it says set the meter for 101 degrees RHCP. Then on down a little it says do not connect the meter directly to 110 119 LNB. I haven't taken anything apart yet. I'm assuming they're marked? RHCP. what the hell is that? Then on down it says set the meter to 119 RHCP. Is it me, or is the kind of redundant? First it says not to put a meter on 119, then it says put a meter on 119. I'm a touch lost. I'm sure there's a logical explanation.

:confused:

Ok, RHCP and LHCP stand for Right and Left Hand Circular Polarization. This is set by the voltage input from the meter to the dish. 13volts sets one polarity, and 18 volts the other. As others have said, just set it for 13v. To make more use of the available frequency spectrum from the satellites, they polarize signals in opposite spiral directions. They can double the information available in the same 500mhz spectrum in this fashion. Other satellite systems also use linear polarization, including DirecTVs leased space on 95w, but for the most part DBS systems are using RHCP and LHCP.

The instructions regarding the direct connection to the 110/119 LNB is out of date, and refers specifically to the "sidecar" dish rather than the Slimline. The older dish had a separate LNB assembly that connected via additional cables, yet with the integrated multiswitch inside the 101 LNB assembly. In any case, the Slimline has everything in one unit, rather than split into two. You can attach your meter to any of the four outputs without fear.

When it later talks about 119, it is telling you to set the meter to display the information from 119, done by sending 13v22khz (RHCP for 119). This allows you to properly peak the dish by checking the 101 strength first, then the 119 second, since they are the two outer satellites.

Teronzhul, I don't know what else to say except, WOW. And thank you. Excellent explaination. I really do appreciate you taking the time to be so thorough.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)