Hooking up Blu-ray player to broadband

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mark A Sparks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
East Tennessee
Please forgive me if this is in the wrong forum :confused:

I want to run cat5 from my router to my Sony Blu-ray player.

My router is in the office, the Blu-ray in the living room, they are separated by one wall (if I wanted to I could just drill a hole through the sheetrock and run it straight through as the router and Blu-ray are on the same wall just in different rooms), but I don't want to do that. I want to put a receptacle in the office and one in the living room. I will only need enough cable to connect the two receptacles within the wall, then short cables from router to plug and from Blu-ray to plug.

I need some help, I have searched and I am confused as exactly what I need to buy?

Please help me.

...as the router and Blu-ray are on the same wall just in different rooms.
Get a CAT5/6 cable of appropriate length.
Remove the baseboard in both rooms and make a hole so you can push the cable through the wall.
Put the baseboard back to mask the hole.

If you don't have a habit of buying Monster cables, it should set you back $10 or thereabout...:)

Diogen.

Another option is to get a wall plate on each side with a couple feet of cat 5. I use 2-3 feet so it is easy to work on the wall plate. You can just cut an inch or so hole in the wall behind the RJ45 jack on the plate. Run the wire between the two sides and use a punch tool (usually included with the wall jack) to connect the wire to the jack. It is color coded and you can see videos on youtube (like YouTube - How to punch down a Cat5e and Cat6 Jack ).

Lowes/Home Depot have all you need. You do not really need the fancy punch down tools or other things if you are not doing this full time. The free plastic ones that come in the package work fine. Plus if you punch the wires down while holding it the plastic will not cut your hand if you miss ;)

Then just use anchors and mount the plates to the wall. Just stuff the excess cat 5e/6 wire in the wall. As I mentioned above I usually like to be able to pull out a foot or 2 to make it easy to wire then stuff it back in the empty wall.

Although now days people go wireless, I believe wire works best. Just to add my thoughts to mikes instructions which is all you really need.
I mounted my router in the basement and pulled Cat5e to every room in the house. I bought 300 feet of Cat5e cable, RJ45 connectors, crimping tool, regular plastic electrical wall boxes and RJ45, RJ11 (telephone) combo wall plates. The parts needed for my setup cost around $50. I mounted single DSL filter in the basement and run Cat5e from phone line entrance to the modem. With this setup I have computer-phone plugs in every room without the need for additional DSL filters. Find studs in the walls, make cutouts for electrical boxes, mount (plastic) electrical boxes, pull cable, strip and color code according to instructions found on the net and enjoy permanent, reliable setup. If you need to connect more devices you can always use hub or a switch.
Enjoy your Sony blu-ray player. I tried LG, Samsung, and finally settled for Sony BDP-S370. Because of different issues with others Sony was the best bet and for $86 at WM the price was good too. It has no WiFi, but who needs it if we have wire.

Last edited:
At current prices, you end up paying about a $50 premium for wireless in a BluRay player. Doesn't cost much more to buy a wireless access point that can be shared and reused if you get tired of the player. I'm assuming that there is already a wireless router in your house.

At current prices, you end up paying about a $50 premium for wireless in a BluRay player. Doesn't cost much more to buy a wireless access point that can be shared and reused if you get tired of the player. I'm assuming that there is already a wireless router in your house.

Yes, I have a wireless router and could buy the Sony USB Wireless LAN Adapter for the Sony BDP-S470, but at $79.00 I prefer to wire it.

Thanks to mike and ogorek for your guidance, it is exactly what I needed to know.

Money aside, signal strength (bandwidth, signal fluctuation), radiation (however small but adds up ), security, wire is your best bet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts