hooking up coaxial cable for watching and recording at same time

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gary4

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Hi everyone!
I ran the second coax to record and watch different channels at the same time. Didn't work. Anybody know where I can see a picture of how to attach to switch and back of reciever?
Thanks

Hi everyone!
I ran the second coax to record and watch different channels at the same time. Didn't work. Anybody know where I can see a picture of how to attach to switch and back of reciever?
Thanks

What is your receiver model?
A DVR I'd guess?
How is this 2nd cable run? From where to where?

And I'll tell you right now if you just used a regular old splitter that won't work. Satellite signals can't use "cable" splitters. You'd need to run that 2nd cable line direct from the dish or from your multiswitch (should you have one).

Thanks for replying. I have a Direct TV Plus Receiver. When we upgraded to this receiver, the installer told us all we had to do was run a another coax and plug it into the switch and the back of the reciver.

Thanks for replying. I have a Direct TV Plus Receiver. When we upgraded to this receiver, the installer told us all we had to do was run a another coax and plug it into the switch and the back of the reciver.

That is correct, except he didn't say where to put the other end.
One end goes to the 2nd tuner on the back of the DVR and the other end goes to either your multiswitch (if you have one) or to your dish output.

Jimbo

I have a switch. I hooked it up and it didn't work. Message on screen said it was looking for signal. I'll check the connection and try again. Does it make any differance witch hole I use on the switch?
Thanks

Gary4,
Run two lines from the dish to the switch.......use the two ports that say 18v &13v and not the one that says ant.

THEN run any two lines from the other end of the switch to your receiver. Connect one to sat 1 and one to sat 2.

Your receiver will say "searching for signal until it gets one. You may need to retune or "peak" the dish.

The multiswitch can be near the dish.near and/ or replace the ground block. It can be at the back of the receiver. If you only have the one recorder.(I think the PLUS is a HD receiver.......in which case this whole deal is a wast of time...anyone? Plus = HD?)

Anyhow, let's pretend it is a recorder. If you are only running the one recorder you don't need a multiswitch....just two lines from the dish.

Keep on truckin,
Joe

Last edited:
Ok, lets start with the basics.

What kind of dish is this? Old 18 incher or 3 LNB or 5 LNB?

If it's an old 18" dual LNB then you'll have 2 lines from the dish to your switch.
If it's anything else you'll have *4* cables from dish to switch.

Then you'll have 2 cables from switch to the back of your DVR.

Then you'll need to rerun the setup of your DVR to tell it you have 2 cables (this may be the one step that hasn't been done yet and I and others didn't mention it).

After that you'll have dual tuners.

I went to setup and reset the dish. Said I had a good signal and it found both lines. Downloaded programing from satellite. Have a picture and a message that says searching for signal. Should I wait and see what happens or did I mess up?
Thanks

If it says searching for signal, then something is wrong. Waiting will not help unless it is raining :)

Describe *all* your cabling. And don't hold back.

1) What kind of dish do you have?
2) How many cables are coming from it into the house?
3) Are you using a multiswitch?
4) If so, what kind and how many cables from the dish go into it?
5) What cables go from the switch to your receivers and are you sure they are direct runs with no splitters?
6) If no multiswitch, do the cables from the dish go directly to the receivers, no splitters?

I have a reciver in the bedroom. Do you think switching the bed room and living room would help?

We really can't help you much more if you don't answer the questions I posted about your cabling. We'll be able to tell immediately what the problem is.

I'll gather the info as soon as possible. Right now it's raining cats and dogs outside. Thanks for your interest in my problem.

gary4,
Much further along you can play with the boxes. You don't move them but rather switch the wires at the dish or ground block or multiswitch.
If your picture doesn't pop on after your wheather changes you gotta 'fess up about how your cable is rigged....and check tilt or skew.

Joe

Got the info. We have a round dish. There are two cables for the dish to the multiswith. They are plugged into 18v sat and 13v sat. The name on the swith is Eagle Asken. Into the house Rx 1 goes to the bedroom. Rx 2 and Rx 4 go to the living room where the DVR is . They are all direct runs. Hope this helps. Thanks again.

Got it going with help from a tech at Directv. Thanks for your time.

Setup

What was wrong?
What made it work??

Doctor j

Push reset on the receiver with both lines hooked up. The box will reset and recognize the 2nd line. If this doesn't work, try swapping the lines on the back of the receiver and see if the problem switches too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)