Hooper freezing while I'm gone

ashecnc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Asheville, NC
I am posting a new thread, I read several posts about the Hooper freezing, but mine seems a little different. In the last two weeks, when I come home from work, around 4-5 pm, my local channel is frozen on the screen. Using the remote does not change anything, it seems to freeze between 10-2 pm, I can tell by what I see on the screen. The guide works and shows what is on at the time. If I turn to any local channel, its black. I can only get a channel if I turn to anything above 100, then I can go back and locals work. I called Dish, a tech came and said the dish was giving a crazy reading, he changed the dish. In 3 days it was frozen again, called Dish, they sent me a new Hopper, installed last night, came home today and it was frozen again. When this freezes, anything that I had to record will not record. I don't know what else is left since it was all changed out. I hope someone on here has some suggestions on this one, it's driving me nuts. Plus, I am not very happy paying what I do for the Hopper, and 2 Joeys for this to happen. I really really appreciate any comments or suggestions!!

Well you know it isn't the hopper or the sat dish ,since they have been both replaced so now you have to eliminate the other potential problems. The node needs to be checked and then any splitters on the line and finally the coax itself need to be checked as well . A coax can have a tear in it or a cut that can cause black outs on the picture. A staple through the coax would cause it too. My mom and dad had almost 40 year old coax in their attic . They were having the picture black out on any sat channel for a couple of seconds or so and it was happening all the time. I went in the attic and saw that the Tech who had installed the sat dish had used Rg6 coax into the attic to a point and then used a barrel connector to older Rg59 coax leading to the wall fish down to the living room. I checked the Rg59 coax and it was frayed , torn , and sparks were coming off it as I moved it. So I replaced all the Rg59 and used new Rg6 from Radio shack. No more black outs or problems since I replaced it. Same thing in my house where I have my lines buried to my trailer. Someone who had been digging in the public utility yard where I have the sat dish on a pole in the ground had used a shovel and had cut my one coax out of three . I had to dig it all up and replace that one line to get stop the lost locks on my one tuner. So never over look the coax as a culprit in the situation.

Is it possible that you have tuned to an OTA channel that is weak? You might not even be viewing it. Check with the red button for what each turner is on. By the time you get there any earlier tuning might not be there but the hang-up may remain. To be absolutely positive, remove the antenna line for a day and see if it happens.
-Ken

You're saying when you get home the TV is frozen on a channel? Why is the receiver on when you get home? Or are you saying it's frozen on a channel when you turn the system on?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)