Hooper HD failure time to go to Hopper 3

jchonig

Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Ithaca, NY
I have two original Hoopers (Living room and Exercise room), a sling adapter, three Joeys, a Duo Node and a 1k4 LNB (61.5, 72, 77).

Everything appeared to be working almost OK until this afternoon. Although the CUI was a bit slow and some features (last channel) did not work on the LR Hopper. Also the Joeys would sometimes give me no-signal messages.

This afternoon the hard drive appears to have failed on the LR Hooper. The Exercise room Hooper is saying that HD functionality is not available. The LR Hooper can not see the 77 sat, but the Exercise room Hooper can.

So I guess it's time to go to a Hooper 3. That means I have a bunch of questions.

I assume everything I would want is off of 77 as the EA no longer has support for that sat. I can see all my locals on the LR Hopper where 77 is not working.

Will I need to replace my Dish as well as the LNBF? If not, will the dish need to be re-aimed when going from 1k4 to EA DPH?

Research shows me that I can make due with one Hopper 3 and four Joey 2's or Joey 4k?

Any chance that Dish will upgrade me *and* let me install this myself? The last time they sent someone he spent 4hrs trying to diagnose a bad Duo Node and didn't have a spare. Aside from that I've installed all my Dish setups myself for the last 20 years.

Any recommendations on where to buy if Dish won't let me self-install? I've been happy with Dish Depot although I see some places have slightly better prices.

Reading the forums, the Joey 4Ks are much faster than the Joey 2s, so they are probably worth the extra $50.

I'd like to put the Hopper in my equipment rack with big UPS in the Exercise room. What will I lose by not having the Hopper 3 on my LR TV instead having a Joey 4K instead of the Hopper 3 there? We have a Roku for Netflix and other services.

I have a Logitech Harmony setup at most of my Joeys. It does not seem to be able to communicate with the Joey 1.0s over the home LAN, but needs to use IR. Will it work better with the Joey 4k?

My parts list is below, am I missing anything?
  • Hopper 3
  • 4x Joey 4K
  • EA DPH
  • Hybrid Solo Hub
  • At least one 3-way splitter
Thanks.

Jeff

Based on the fact that you are asking such questions, I strongly recommend against a self install. In fact, I don't recommend anybody self install an H3 coming from a non-H3 setup.

Reactions: HipKat
You'll need to replace the dish to a .2, the LNB to a ea hybrid, the duo node to a solo hub, the Joeys to joey 2.0's (or 4K's as you listed) and you won't need the sling adapter anymore. Also, run 2 2-way splitters off each client port of the hybrid hub over 1 3-way. Although I've not had a problem, dish suggests only 2 receivers per port. I completely agree with navychop about having a tech come out and do the upgrade

Last edited:
You'll need to replace the dish to a .2, the LNB to a ea hybrid, the duo node to a solo node, the Joeys to joey 2.0's (or 4K's as you listed) and you won't need the sling adapter anymore. Also, run 2 2-way splitters off each client port of the hybrid hub over 1 3-way. Although I've not had a problem, dish suggests only 2 receivers per port. I completely agree with navychop about having a tech come out and do the upgrade

Solo Hub

Reactions: KAB and JSheridan