Hopper 3 4K / HD Question

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
I just now watched a Netflix 4K program thru my Hopper 3 Netflix app on my LG 4K TV. The program info said it is 4K and my LG magic remote verified it was in 4K mode. I backed out of the Hopper and fired up my 4K Fire Stick and watched the same Netflix program thru the same LG TV. The info says it is HD and my LG magic remote verified it was in HD mode. Why the two different modes? I also fired up my other 4K LG OLED TV and watched the same Netflix program thru my 4K Joey Netflix app. The program info said HD and my LG magic remote verified it was in HD mode. I don't understand why all the differences! Both TVs user guides do not mention if all the TV HDMI inputs are the same. All HDMI cables are from DISH.

So did you try swapping the 4K Fire Stick to the HDMI input used for the Hopper 3, and vice versa, to see if the same result stays with that input or with the device being used?
No I didn't. I will try that out when I can. I just fired up the LG 4K TV Netflix app and the info says it is 4K. The magic remote wouldn't verify for me which mode it was in. The picture quality did appear 4K.

Some HDMI inputs have a video setting, as my Sony does, that you choose enhanced mode for 4K/HD or standard mode for HD. It may be labeled something different, but I would almost bet that it has the setting.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Some HDMI inputs have a video setting, as my Sony does, that you choose enhanced mode for 4K/HD or standard mode for HD. It may be labeled something different, but I would almost bet that it has the setting.
Thanks, I will look again for the settings.

Yes, my Vizio has a Full UHD Color setting in Input settings that has to be enabled to achieve HDR on that input.

So did you try swapping the 4K Fire Stick to the HDMI input used for the Hopper 3, and vice versa, to see if the same result stays with that input or with the device being used?
I swapped the input cables and nothing changed. My LG TV UHD settings are turned on for both HDMI inputs. I guess I will contact Amazon and see if they have any ideas. I don't think it is a Netflix issue because the 4K works thru the TV Netflix app and also it works thru the Hopper Netflix app. I can't get any 4K to work thru my 4K Fire Stick.

Reactions: pattykay
Charles, what program are you trying to watch? I just tried 3 different 4K Netflix programs on my 4K Fire Stick and they all came up 4K.
Thanks for helping Bobby. It is a Netflix series Girls Incarcerated Young and Locked Up. 4K Fire Stick says it is HD and the LG magic remote verifies it is streaming in 1060P. Hopper 3 Netflix app says it is Ultra HD 4K and remote verifies it is playing in 2160P. LG TV Netflix app says it is Ultra HD 4K. Remote won't verify for some reason but the picture quality looks like 4K.

Last edited:
Thanks for helping Bobby. It is a Netflix series Girls Incarcerated Young and Locked Up. 4K Fire Stick says it is HD and the LG magic remote verifies it is streaming in 1060P. Hopper 3 Netflix app says it is Ultra HD 4K and remote verifies is playing in 2160P. LG TV Netflix app says it is Ultra HD 4K. Remote won't verify for some reason but the picture quality looks like 4K.
I am seeing and playing that title in 4K on my Fire Stick. Just for jeepers can you go to Get Help, Check your Network in the Netflix app on your Fire Stick. I’m interested in what your connection speed is. Mine is 82.04.

I am seeing and playing that title in 4K on my Fire Stick. Just for jeepers can you go to Get Help, Check your Network in the Netflix app on your Fire Stick. I’m interested in what your connection speed is. Mine is 82.04.
94.09 Mbps

As am I. I just wanted to touch that base. Now, another thing, are you signed in to your Netflix app under the same login that you have on your other devices? A shot in the dark but you never know.
Yes I am signed in with same login on all devices. I just disconnected the Eternet adapter and latched on to my router with WiFi. Still no go. Program is still in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)