Hopper 3 and "Low beam dish"

phantm777

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
fayetteville, ar
Morning all, been lurking around here for a long time now and all the info everyone has, gives is great..Such a valuable source for everyone out there.. So here we go, i contacted dish support via chat yersterday spoke to a super nice guy asked him if i could upgrage my hopper w sling for a new hopper 3 he tells me great news yes we can get you a new hopper 3 and replace me orig joey 1.0 with the newer 2.0 and keep my wireless joey that i have, will waive the 100.00 cost but have the re new my 2 yr subscription... I'm like no problem thats fine then he comes back and says cant do it in my area because of something like low beam dish ???? I have 1 dish on my roof dpp 1000.2 triple LNB.. I understand a hybrid LNB is needed for the hopper 3... I also contacted a super nice DIRT memeber here and he told me the same thing low beam dish... Can anyone give any input, advice at what to do My hopper w sling and super joey 5 tuners just dont cut it anymore.... i realize D TV doesnt offer anything better but dont understand my low beam dish area I have 110, 119 and 129 Sats WA... i'm running a hopper w sling, super joey, 2 moca joeys and a wireless joey... any help would be appreciated.. and a big thx to DIRT Chris for his replies....

Morning all, been lurking around here for a long time now and all the info everyone has, gives is great..Such a valuable source for everyone out there.. So here we go, i contacted dish support via chat yersterday spoke to a super nice guy asked him if i could upgrage my hopper w sling for a new hopper 3 he tells me great news yes we can get you a new hopper 3 and replace me orig joey 1.0 with the newer 2.0 and keep my wireless joey that i have, will waive the 100.00 cost but have the re new my 2 yr subscription... I'm like no problem thats fine then he comes back and says cant do it in my area because of something like low beam dish ???? I have 1 dish on my roof dpp 1000.2 triple LNB.. I understand a hybrid LNB is needed for the hopper 3... I also contacted a super nice DIRT memeber here and he told me the same thing low beam dish... Can anyone give any input, advice at what to do My hopper w sling and super joey 5 tuners just dont cut it anymore.... i realize D TV doesnt offer anything better but dont understand my low beam dish area I have 110, 119 and 129 Sats WA... i'm running a hopper w sling, super joey, 2 moca joeys and a wireless joey... any help would be appreciated.. and a big thx to DIRT Chris for his replies....
It appears the hybrid LNB sees the satellite signal differently from the DPP and in some areas produces too weak a signal for dependable reception on the Hopper 3. DP42 switch may help in the near future but it will take time to evaluate the situation.

ahhhh thank you thats what i was researching also.... hate it,, i have a perfect L.O.S. on my dish, great signal #'s , perfect HD and Local HD's.. Just dont know what to do need 16 tuners LOL Thx again

ahhhh thank you thats what i was researching also.... hate it,, i have a perfect L.O.S. on my dish, great signal #'s , perfect HD and Local HD's.. Just dont know what to do need 16 tuners LOL Thx again

Contact DIRT. They can probably help you out.

yes Chris from the dirt team told me "low beam usually means you have an addition dish or special dish set up to get a strong enough signal to pick up channels needed in my area" i doint know Fayetteville, AR 72704 perfect line of sight to WA 100, 119 and 129 basic dish, solo node etc I know some tech stuff but at a lost here

yes Chris from the dirt team told me "low beam usually means you have an addition dish or special dish set up to get a strong enough signal to pick up channels needed in my area" i doint know Fayetteville, AR 72704 perfect line of sight to WA 100, 119 and 129 basic dish, solo node etc I know some tech stuff but at a lost here

If you don't have a second dish then DIRT should be able to correct your record and get you done. Did he say he was going to fix you up? If not maybe try another DIRT rep.

You may be on the fringe of your local spotbeam.
If thats the case the DPP lnbs have a better spread "so to speak" .
In that case they must feel your signal may have more dropouts on your locals with the Hybrid.

But I can confirm with my Dual setup, the Hybrid is better with the Conus TPs but even my Spots are around 4-6 points lower than what my DPP dish is showing.
Not sure why.

thats what i tought, no 2nd dish, no Int package... I appreciated his help but think I'm S.O.L. he didnt say he would fix it for me.. i also tried another DIRT team member but have'nt gotten a reply...

Thx Troch, i'm not sure if im "on the fringe" of coverage... rarely have dropouts only in major T storms etc... dont think i have any "special" equipment on my system.. just can handle 5 tuners any longer.. and dont think jumping ship will help me anyway... I'm out of contract but not going back to cable and DTV doesnt do me any better

Thx Troch, I'm not sure if im "on the fringe" of coverage... rarely have dropouts only in major T storms etc... dont think i have any "special" equipment on my system.. just can handle 5 tuners any longer.. and dont think jumping ship will help me anyway... I'm out of contract but not going back to cable and DTV doesnt do me any better
I can confirm I can't "move" to the Philly DMA anymore with this Hybrid. (I would physically have to move there, or closer to it.)
The signal is too weak but with the DPP lnb, I had signals 45-48 on spotbeam 23 and 31.
Now its in the 30s with the Hybrid.
From what I can see the DPP can see a wider area of the spotbeams.

My guess they probably have a Zip code list, or even DMAs that they strictly go by even if your signal satisfactory.

Thx Joseph yes in NWA.. walmart sams land here .... man that really blows lol... so do you think i'll ever be able to upgrade to the H3 ???? appreciate you looking into this also...

Thx Joseph yes in NWA.. walmart sams land here .... man that really blows lol... so do you think i'll ever be able to upgrade to the H3 ???? appreciate you looking into this also...
No clue. Depends on why the hybrid LNBs don't work on the fringes. If it's the design of the LNB, when the new hybrid switch comes out, you could use that + the existing dish you have--assuming Dish considers that a valid install (don't see why they wouldn't)

Of course it could be a more complicated issue, like power consumption of the hybrid LNB. The new hybrid switch may or may not be able to overcome an issue like that. Just don't have enough info to answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)