Hopper 3 DVR issue

Ya know, I work with various software systems all the time, and I'm not quite sure what needs to be so complex about this software. When you break it into the tasks for each module, each has a pretty simple task for the code to perform, compared to a lot of software systems out there.
Having been a coder under adverse conditions, we always had to code for the least powerful hardware. It also made the programming environment hell on earth. We were coding on the slowest, worst equipment with the least memory they had. Why should I expect any different here?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Having been a coder under adverse conditions, we always had to code for the least powerful hardware. It also made the programming environment hell on earth. We were coding on the slowest, worst equipment with the least memory they had. Why should I expect any different here?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Understand that. But they aren't really doing anything new these days, not adding huge changes to the functionality, seems they're just breaking functionality already there (show episodes recorded.)

It is fixed on both of my Hopper3 receivers. My software version is still U521 from 7/27/18. As I stated earlier, the problem was not the U521 software but the metadata in the guide. Dish was able to fix it in 2 days. It may not have even been their fault. Rovi May have changed something with the guide data.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: charlesrshell
I checked a couple of hours ago and the H3's were still messed up and then a while ago and all fixed. No reboots or guide downloads or anything. Like magic. :biggrin

Some of the shows that were “missing” (unable to retrieve) were Specials from Christmas, Thanksgiving, and July 4th. I imagine that the data for all these shows are on servers that Dish accesses. Somehow that data either got corrupted or went offline.
What confuses me is how the Hopper Family of receivers gets and uses that data. It has to be downloaded to the receiver ahead a time because the Dish DVR Guide is almost instantaneous. Is that download separate from the Guide download? I suspect so since it would be unique for each receiver depending on what that person had recorded.

Some of the shows that were “missing” (unable to retrieve) were Specials from Christmas, Thanksgiving, and July 4th. I imagine that the data for all these shows are on servers that Dish accesses. Somehow that data either got corrupted or went offline.
What confuses me is how the Hopper Family of receivers gets and uses that data. It has to be downloaded to the receiver ahead a time because the Dish DVR Guide is almost instantaneous. Is that download separate from the Guide download? I suspect so since it would be unique for each receiver depending on what that person had recorded.

I think the exact process is guarded like an NSA secret but as far as I can tell there are several data streams always coming into the receiver. One is for the rich media file and there's others I'm sure. However they fixed the problem today there was no need for a fresh guide download or a reboot or anything, the fix was totally in the background.

Kudos again to Dish. I suspect that the shows that temporarily disappeared were from the guide provider before Rovi took over, so they most likely had to go back to the previous provider and snag them?????

I just I just stumbled onto something kind of interesting. I was not having the problems regarding DVR recordings that are being reported on this thread, so I wasn't trying to do anything special. What I observed may be related to the fact that the software release before last or heck an occasional software release can actually reset the default of my DVR timers and may set back to default or change options from what we originally had. Anyway here's what happened just minutes ago.

I was going inside my match game Custom file and it had all the recordings that I hadn't watched yet. from the DVR screen I selected my custom folder. For Match Game (GSN recordings only). Then I had to select the sub-folder that then displayed the list of individual recordings--all my saved recordings for Match Game. From the screen of the list of individuals recordings, there is at the top of the screen OPTIONS. I selected options, and then selected #1 RECORDED FILTER.

The RECORDED FILTER options present a long list of various sources from which episodes of this show will be displayed such as Netflix, VOD, streaming, Etc. For fun I selected all the sources to see what would display. While it did display several episodes from different sources I noticed that a number of my already recorded episodes on my DVR had disappeared from the list. Then I decided to uncheck several of the other source options leaving only two or three, then went back to display a list of episodes and some of my previously recorded episodes on the DVR we're still missing. So then I decided to uncheck everything except for the RECORDED option, which is supposed to be the default. I then hit the back button but still some of my episodes recorded on the DVR we're still missing. So from there I just backed all the way out to live TV then I pressed the DVR button and made way to view what episodes were listed for Match Game and as if by magic all of my recordings on the DVR reappeared as they should have.

It was a spooky experience because I thought I may have lost some of my previously recorded episodes for good, but it turns out I did not.

Bottom line: try going to the RECORDED FILTER option and monkey around and see if you can't make all your DVR episode recordings appear.

This this is no guarantee, and if somebody else is already mentioned this or tried it then I apologize. I just found it very interesting that by selecting certain filters some of my DVR recordings will disappear when they should not have disappeared, and it should not have taken a lot of monkeying around in order to get them to reappear by selecting only recorded then not seeing all my episodes, and then having to back out all the way to live TV, then go back in and, then all the episodes reappear. I guess you can give it a shot. Now I have to keep in mind that every software update may change my personalized settings such as DVR timer default reverting back to the default rather than my custom and that is a PITA, but perhaps that's what's happening here: maybe monkeying around with the RECORDED SORT feature could bring back lost DVR episode recordings.

Good luck to all and I hope Dish fixes this.

Last edited:
I just I just stumbled onto something kind of interesting. I was not having the problems regarding DVR recordings that are being reported on this thread, so I wasn't trying to do anything special. What I observed may be related to the fact that the software release before last or heck an occasional software release can actually reset the default of my DVR timers and may set back to default or change options from what we originally had. Anyway here's what happened just minutes ago.

I was going inside my match game Custom file and it had all the recordings that I hadn't watched yet. from the DVR screen I selected my custom folder. For Match Game (GSN recordings only). Then I had to select the sub-folder that then displayed the list of individual recordings--all my saved recordings for Match Game. From the screen of the list of individuals recordings, there is at the top of the screen OPTIONS. I selected options, and then selected #1 RECORDED FILTER.

The RECORDED FILTER options present a long list of various sources from which episodes of this show will be displayed such as Netflix, VOD, streaming, Etc. For fun I selected all the sources to see what would display. While it did display several episodes from different sources I noticed that a number of my already recorded episodes on my DVR had disappeared from the list. Then I decided to uncheck several of the other source options leaving only two or three, then went back to display a list of episodes and some of my previously recorded episodes on the DVR we're still missing. So then I decided to uncheck everything except for the RECORDED option, which is supposed to be the default. I then hit the back button but still some of my episodes recorded on the DVR we're still missing. So from there I just backed all the way out to live TV then I pressed the DVR button and made way to view what episodes were listed for Match Game and as if by magic all of my recordings on the DVR reappeared as they should have.

It was a spooky experience because I thought I may have lost some of my previously recorded episodes for good, but it turns out I did not.

Bottom line: try going to the RECORDED FILTER option and monkey around and see if you can't make all your DVR episode recordings appear.

This this is no guarantee, and if somebody else is already mentioned this or tried it then I apologize. I just found it very interesting that by selecting certain filters some of my DVR recordings will disappear when they should not have disappeared, and it should not have taken a lot of monkeying around in order to get them to reappear by selecting only recorded then not seeing all my episodes, and then having to back out all the way to live TV, then go back in and, then all the episodes reappear. I guess you can give it a shot. Now I have to keep in mind that every software update may change my personalized settings such as DVR timer default reverting back to the default rather than my custom and that is a PITA, but perhaps that's what's happening here: maybe monkeying around with the RECORDED SORT feature could bring back lost DVR episode recordings.

Good luck to all and I hope Dish fixes this.
I have never seen anything that you just said. Subfolders? Recorded Filter?

I think you are onto something, DishSubLA! I mentioned yesterday that I was having problems with my "What Would You Do?" folder on my Wally. I was able to get it down to only one episode left in the folder, but it still said "No Episodes Available" in the Episodes tab when I would select it. (I could still select the Watch button from the Summary tab, or press the Play button on the remote while it was highlighted on the DVR screen, to play it.) Even after the fix was reported last night, it continued to say "No Episodes Available." I just checked it today, and now the Episodes tab is back to normal. However, after messing with the Options (Filter) like you suggested, and selecting "All Available" I got this result:
0812182042-00.jpg

Notice that it now has "No Episodes Available" superimposed over the listing for my recording. Backing out to the DVR screen and selecting the folder again fixes this, and also sets the filter back to "Recorded." So, this would appear to be the same glitch that others were experiencing, except the list of recordings was missing, until Dish applied the fix last night. Apparently, this issue is not completely fixed yet.

I assume that he probably created a folder called games. If he has different game shows that he records each program series will show up as a separate icon in his folder.
If you do a search you can select options. The normal filter is “All Available”. If you then press select you will get a screen that lets you select which options to use for your filter. The options are:
1) All Available
2) Live or Upcoming
3) Streaming
4) Recorded
5) Video On Demand
6) Netflix
7) Currently Unavailable

You can select or deselect the options

Reactions: HipKat and pattykay
I have never seen anything that you just said. Subfolders? Recorded Filter?
Yeah when I first stumbled onto these options I thought it was new and I even put that in my original draft of the post, but then I thought it's probably my typical stupidity, and thst such features were already there, but I was just too dumb to play around to know about them. it'd be nice to know for sure if somebody knows if these features/options existed before, but considering how knowledgeable you are HipKat, if you didn't know about them than I presume they didn't exist until the most recent update.

Reactions: HipKat
Yeah when I first stumbled onto these options I thought it was new and I even put that in my original draft of the post, but then I thought it's probably my typical stupidity, and thst such features were already there, but I was just too dumb to play around to know about them. it'd be nice to know for sure if somebody knows if these features/options existed before, but considering how knowledgeable you are HipKat, if you didn't know about them than I presume they didn't exist until the most recent update.
No, those Options have been there for awhile (maybe at least as long as I have had a Wally) but I usually never fool with them, until you mentioned it. Then, I decided to give it a try.

Reactions: HipKat
That could be, or I just never dug that deep. I mean, I have custom folders for all my recordings, because I'm OCD and everything has to be organized, but subfolders?? I can't wait to play with those - movies by Genre!!

Reactions: pattykay
That could be, or I just never dug that deep. I mean, I have custom folders for all my recordings, because I'm OCD and everything has to be organized, but subfolders?? I can't wait to play with those - movies by Genre!!
The subfolder is the automatic grouping by title. If you set more than one series to record to the same folder, each series will have its own subfolder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts