Hopper 3 DVR issue

I am not having this problem. However, I am having a problem in moving shows from PT to the internal drive. Say ,I have 5 shows in the show file on the internal drive and save the 6th from PT. It moves there. If I go back into PT to delete the moved show, I lose it on the internal drive. If I leave it in the PT file, it stays in the internal drive file for the show. I have to use restore to get it back.Another irritation is the curser in the PT file gets lost and I have to use the right arrow button to get it to the 1st show in PT.

Yeah, I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and hit the transfer button on three shows and they all worked.

Well, I've never been able to move more than one hour long episode at a time without it hanging up, but I set it to move the Elementarys and it moved 9 of 10. I was then able to move the one it didn't move. So that worked.

Still, a lot of work as I have quite a few series in my DVR list that are displaying this same problem.

Well, I've never been able to move more than one hour long episode at a time without it hanging up, but I set it to move the Elementarys and it moved 9 of 10. I was then able to move the one it didn't move. So that worked.

Still, a lot of work as I have quite a few series in my DVR list that are displaying this same problem.

I have 260 episodes of Big Bang Theory. No way I'm moving that one.

So I guess this could take a while to get fixed? This is my first major issue/bug in 4 years of Dish service. The "missing" recordings are obviously there if we can transfer and view from DA app. So I'm inclined to leave them on the Hopper's HD, unless I want to watch a certain program soon. Unless you think the fix from Dish might actually delete or damage the recordings? :eek:

We have the same problem on our Hooper 3 DVR. Shows that have had recent episodes added are completely AWOL. Older shows with no recent additions appear to be OK.

No wonder Dish is losing satellite subs. The latest version of the software (U521) for their top of the line Receiver/DVR won’t allow subs to watch some of the already recorded episodes. Somehow I had the impression that that was what a DVR was supposed to do.

Of course I can run Dish Anywhere on my iPhone and mirror it to our Apple TV which is hooked to the same TV as the Hopper 3. But I think I'll just stream some more Amazon Prime Video directly via the Apple TV. The more I stream the less useful Dish becomes.

I knew something had to break when they sent the update that fixed the playback issue between 2 Hoppers.

Reactions: navychop
I knew something had to break when they sent the update that fixed the playback issue between 2 Hoppers.
Agreed.

So this thread/problem was first reported 2 weeks to the day of the report of U521 being installed U521 software update

Many of us didn’t get U521 until this week. And this folder/episode bug probably requires a week to show up. Because at least two un-viewed episodes of the same show must be recorded for the Hopper 3 to create a folder to hold multiple episodes. Which makes me wonder just how long Dish tested version U521 before forcing the update onto Hopper 3s.

FWIW I use DA to check the software version on our Hopper 3 most mornings, because I hate these kinds of nasty surprises.

I am seeing the same problem with recorded content on both of my Hopper3 receivers. My sister also called me and she has the same problem with her Hopper3 recordings. I called Dish Technical Support and they are aware of the problem. They claim it started on August 8 and they are actively working on a fix. It is probably not directly related to the U521 software update since I have had that update since July 27. If the problem started on August 8th the Guide metadata from Rovi is probably the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: JSheridan
We are seeing it two but not for all shows. I'm watched Westworld season 2 without being aware of the problem. Now I'm watching Billions and they are all there too. My wife said some of her shows were missing but didn't say anything until I asked her after finding out about it in this thread.

Sure enough only some shows are doing it.

What I'm worried about is if they can get these back. If they lost file handles this could be a real mess. Shows might not delete correctly either so I'm not deleting any of the effected folders for the time being.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Agreed.

So this thread/problem was first reported 2 weeks to the day of the report of U521 being installed U521 software update

Many of us didn’t get U521 until this week. And this folder/episode bug probably requires a week to show up. Because at least two un-viewed episodes of the same show must be recorded for the Hopper 3 to create a folder to hold multiple episodes. Which makes me wonder just how long Dish tested version U521 before forcing the update onto Hopper 3s.
Probably for about a week.

What I'm worried about is if they can get these back. If they lost file handles this could be a real mess. Shows might not delete correctly either so I'm not deleting any of the effected folders for the time being.
That's an interesting point. I noticed yesterday when I deleted one recording from a Wally, and deleted another recording from my Hopper Duo, that neither one showed up in the Trash folder. I did not want to Restore either of those shows, but it would have been annoying if they had been deleted by accident, with no way to get them back.

I can now confirm that this same issue occurs on Wally. I have a folder showing two episodes of "What Would You Do?" When I select the folder, no episodes show up. Also, the one show that I deleted yesterday that actually did show up in Trash at the time, is now no longer listed there. I thought it was supposed to take two days for shows to automatically disappear from Trash. So, the point above about recordings not deleting properly may be spot-on.

I can see and watch all mine on my DA app on the fire stick, so I doubt they’re gone, just not loading in the GUI or something like that. Supposedly they’re working on a patch......hopefully. Might be time to buy that EHD I keep putting off

Reactions: charlesrshell
You can also see and play the MIA recordings from a second Hopper. It started happening about 3 days ago and did not coincide with a firmware update. Hopefully the fix will come soon.

I got 521 late, so had been fine. Same problem here. I guess I just joined a club that I didn’t want to be a member of. Are they trying to get us to “cut our cords” and live OTA, along with Hulu, Netflix and the others?

Reactions: pattykay
It doesn't look like it's U521 itself but some other data mess up that's doing this. It just started on or about Aug 8 and U521 has been around a lot longer that that. According to Dish they're working on a fix that will hopefully come very soon.

You really have to wonder what they were trying to do to cause something like this. I mean, what kind of change were they trying to make to something that was working fine before?

I don't know why we should have to put up with their buggy receivers. Why can't we have generic and/or open-source receivers? I understand that the program providers want their content to stay encrypted (although I disagree with that) so why couldn't an arbitrary receiver just record the encrypted data stream and pass it through a card-based decryption module on playback just as if it were live? Why do we have to put up with Dish's incompetent efforts?

(I should also point out, apropos of other Dish issues, that the DVB standard provides for the transmission of guide data attached to each channel. So the providers should be using that rather than letting a third party create erroneous data some other way.)

(And oh yeah, one more thing: SD channels should be transmitted as widescreen, it should be the receiver's job to downsample them for outdated screens, not upscale an under-sized picture for current screens.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts