Hopper 3 external drives have disappeared

oldbob

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
Hi, have had the H3 for about 6 weeks. Have 2 hard drives connected to the device. All was fine and both were working with the hopper until a day ago when they disappeared from the DVR display. Have tried unplugging, power recycle, etc. I cannot believe that both drives failed at the same time. They were both powered via a UPS, so a power glitch to the drives can be ruled out. I can't find any way to access the drives via the hopper setup icon, nor can I think of a way to test the drives.

Any suggestions?

Bob

Disconnect the drives from the Hopper3 one at a time waiting for the you have disconnected a drive message. Sometimes it takes a little while. The reconnect them one at a time waiting for the message that you have connected a drive. Either powering off the drives or pulling the USB works the same way. It appears that the latest software rollout interrupted some EHDs. In my case all that happened was that I got the you have connected a drive for one of two drives. Everything worked after acknowledging that message.

If that doesn't work patience may be the answer as some others have reported.

Hi, have had the H3 for about 6 weeks. Have 2 hard drives connected to the device. All was fine and both were working with the hopper until a day ago when they disappeared from the DVR display. Have tried unplugging, power recycle, etc. I cannot believe that both drives failed at the same time. They were both powered via a UPS, so a power glitch to the drives can be ruled out. I can't find any way to access the drives via the hopper setup icon, nor can I think of a way to test the drives.

Any suggestions?

Bob

I have the same issue, but only have 1 external drive. I believe this issue is caused by the latest firmware update, 331. I have spent about an hour talking to tech support with no resolution. I have tested my drive and it appears OK. The problem is in Dish's system, but has not been addressed.

I have the same issue, but only have 1 external drive. I believe this issue is caused by the latest firmware update, 331. I have spent about an hour talking to tech support with no resolution. I have tested my drive and it appears OK. The problem is in Dish's system, but has not been addressed.

I just connected a new drive to my Hopper, and it is not seen.

Sigh. No doubt this problem will be inflicted upon us HWS users with the CUI.

It seems the latest Version of Firmware put on my receiver on October 21, 2016 for the Hopper killed External Hard Drives. Really doesn't anyone test this stuff? Now I know how Samsung phones blow themselves up.

Seems the latest Version of Firmware put on my receiver on October 21, 2016 for the Hopper killed External Hard Drivers. Really doesn't anyone test this stuff? Now I know how Samsung phones blow up.

I've got the same firmware on 2 H3's here and my EHD's work fine on both so it's not a system wide problem. They probably tested things but apparently some configurations are adversely affected. You can't test every possible combination of everything, That would be impossible.

Reactions: DWS44
I have an EHD attached to my H3 with U331, it works just fine... As JSheridan said, apparently some configurations are having issues others aren't.

I've got the same firmware on 2 H3's here and my EHD's work fine on both so it's not a system wide problem. They probably tested things but apparently some configurations are adversely affected. You can't test every possible combination of everything, That would be impossible.

USB 3.0 Western Digital Drive. Probably the most common piece of external drive being used today. Maybe I should try my older USB 2.0 Device

We've been calling Dish Network for 2 days over this problem and they gave me the same run-around. Lost 8TB of shows on all 4 EHDs (separate drives of 3 different brands with separate power supplies) the morning of the update to U331-even on the ones that weren't hooked up at the time (I only use 2 at the same time if that). Have tried all the fixes from them and on the forums-nothing helped-they don't show up in DVR sources at all.
Dont think its the Hopper3 as I tried an empty but previously hopper3-formatted 2TB drive that was never used and it works great. Dish says its a weird problem and only concerns my external equipment but they will have the engineering dept contact me by email.

Finally spoke with someone at Dish yesterday afternoon who knew of the issue and forwarded it to their engineering department. The rep stated that it was an unfortunate result of the update on Friday, October 21st. For what its worth, when I first got the Hopper 3, I couldn't see the hard drive (which was used with the previous Hopper) until a fix was programmed.

Before update 331 the hopper 3 could see both of my external drives, now only one.
I'm starting to wonder if this problem is caused by drives larger than the specs from Dish. I have two 500MB drives and both are still working.
Is the one you have still working a smaller drive and the two not working extra large drives?

I have two 1 TB drives. According to Dish yesterday, the Hopper 3 should accept them. They also stated that we could conceivably have up to 3 separate drives attached. It is strange how some hard drives are affected and others are not. The Hopper uses a Linux based system that is formatted onto the drives upon installation and there shouldn't be any issues (Linux is an easier, more tolerable system than that of Windows or other systems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts