Hopper 3 Extremely Hot

cditty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Northeast Louisiana
My Hopper 3 is in a well ventilated place in my TV stand. Open to outside airflow, etc...

It is one of the original H3's and has never needed a replacement. The top is so hot I can barely keep my hand on it. Both of the fans on the sides (the little ones) do work.

Did later units run cooler? I am concerned that given it's age, it might have a problem sooner rather than later and since it is the hub of all the TV in the home, that worries me.

Thoughts?

I've had a Hopper 2 since 2013 and in the summer it's so hot in places you can't keep your hand on it more than a couple of seconds. It's still "working" after this long, so I stopped worrying about it.

I've had a Hopper 2 since 2013 and in the summer it's so hot in places you can't keep your hand on it more than a couple of seconds. It's still "working" after this long, so I stopped worrying about it.

Hey MR_X, although our receivers are normally a bit warm, it shouldn't be hot to the touch. IF your receiver is hot it can indicate it isn't receiving a good airflow which can lead to hard drive issues. If you aren't seeing any error messages, here's a few things to check for:
The receiver has at least 5 inches of space on all sides between itself and other items.
The receiver isn't directly on or underneath another electronic device.
The receiver is on a flat, hard surface.
The receiver isn't in an enclosed area such as a drawer or cabinet.

-Rosita L.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You can buy a small fan (about 6 inch diameter) at Walmart for $5. I put one on the side of mine and it has been running for three years, so far. I tried a laptop fan under my HWS and it did not cool it off and it cost way more than $5.

Reactions: CoastlineDJ
Hey MR_X, although our receivers are normally a bit warm, it shouldn't be hot to the touch. IF your receiver is hot it can indicate it isn't receiving a good airflow which can lead to hard drive issues. If you aren't seeing any error messages, here's a few things to check for:
The receiver has at least 5 inches of space on all sides between itself and other items.
The receiver isn't directly on or underneath another electronic device.
The receiver is on a flat, hard surface.
The receiver isn't in an enclosed area such as a drawer or cabinet.

-Rosita L.

It's funny you'd respond to me, since the HDMI output on my receiver went out at some point last night. It doesn't work with any other TV inputs or cables on the TV it's currently connected to and doesn't work on any other TV either. The output is completely dead. I'm having to use component cables now.

The receiver is on a wide open glass shelf. It's completely open on the front and both sides with most of the back of the shelf completely open as well. Nothing airflow related is causing the issue. I just took a temperature of the right side and it's around 105 degrees compared to upper 80's on the left side.

I found these PVC pieces at Lowes and place them under my hopper. They are just the right size and raising it up helps keep it cooler I think.

Attachments

• IMG_20190807_080406.jpg
    IMG_20190807_080406.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 466
Reactions: HipKat
It's funny you'd respond to me, since the HDMI output on my receiver went out at some point last night. It doesn't work with any other TV inputs or cables on the TV it's currently connected to and doesn't work on any other TV either. The output is completely dead. I'm having to use component cables now.

The receiver is on a wide open glass shelf. It's completely open on the front and both sides with most of the back of the shelf completely open as well. Nothing airflow related is causing the issue. I just took a temperature of the right side and it's around 105 degrees compared to upper 80's on the left side.

Receivers can run fairly hot without having any performance issues. If the receiver surpasses the normal operating temperature, the receiver will experience issues like rebooting or pixelation, or a pop-up message will appear on the screen indicating it has surpassed the temperature it needs to be. Additionally, if the HDMI output is no longer working, and not displaying any type of videos, we would have to look into a replacement. We’re not able to make changes through Satellite Guys at this time, but you can reach out to our Chat teams by clicking this link: Direct Chat. We have agents ready to assist with any account changes.

-Christina W.

Receivers can run fairly hot without having any performance issues. If the receiver surpasses the normal operating temperature, the receiver will experience issues like rebooting or pixelation, or a pop-up message will appear on the screen indicating it has surpassed the temperature it needs to be. Additionally, if the HDMI output is no longer working, and not displaying any type of videos, we would have to look into a replacement. We’re not able to make changes through Satellite Guys at this time, but you can reach out to our Chat teams by clicking this link: Direct Chat. We have agents ready to assist with any account changes.

-Christina W.

Thanks for your help, but unless I can have a new receiver shipped to me and install it myself, I won't allow anyone from Dish to step foot in my house ever again. The installer was rude, incompetent, and very unprofessional. He caused damaged to the siding of my home, I had to buy/replace a coax cable he left hanging and exposed which animals later chewed through, had to dig/bury the cable from one of the dishes to the house, and had to listen to the guy whine and complain the majority of the time he was at my house. He left without having my broadband working properly where I had to figure out how to fix it myself.

I could type multiple paragraphs about all of the things this guy did or didn't do and couldn't answer any questions about using the Hopper because "he doesn't watch TV". Or how the guy dropped the Hopper and box on a coffee table from a standing position and almost broke it.

Unless Dish gets their act together and stops taking away channels and not lowering my bill, I'll be cancelling service and shipping the equipment back. I don't even have decent cellular service where I live to endure the 1+ hour wait to talk to anyone about lowering my bill, nor do I have good enough internet to use their chat to discuss it because it's down the majority of the time.

2fmETJl.png

^ that's with perfect weather right now and no trees whatsoever in the line of the dish.

Thanks for your help, but unless I can have a new receiver shipped to me and install it myself, I won't allow anyone from Dish to step foot in my house ever again. The installer was rude, incompetent, and very unprofessional. He caused damaged to the siding of my home, I had to buy/replace a coax cable he left hanging and exposed which animals later chewed through, had to dig/bury the cable from one of the dishes to the house, and had to listen to the guy whine and complain the majority of the time he was at my house. He left without having my broadband working properly where I had to figure out how to fix it myself.

I could type multiple paragraphs about all of the things this guy did or didn't do and couldn't answer any questions about using the Hopper because "he doesn't watch TV". Or how the guy dropped the Hopper and box on a coffee table from a standing position and almost broke it.

Unless Dish gets their act together and stops taking away channels and not lowering my bill, I'll be cancelling service and shipping the equipment back. I don't even have decent cellular service where I live to endure the 1+ hour wait to talk to anyone about lowering my bill, nor do I have good enough internet to use their chat to discuss it because it's down the majority of the time.

2fmETJl.png

^ that's with perfect weather right now and no trees whatsoever in the line of the dish.

That graph looks like it's from internet service which has nothing to do with TV service.

2fmETJl.png

I find this incredibly shocking and aggravating. Why companies continue to employ guys like this, I’ll never understand. And we have some in our office who may not be this bad, but aren’t cut out for this job. I’m so sorry that you had such a bad experience

That graph looks like it's from internet service which has nothing to do with TV service.
I didn't say it had anything to do with the TV service. The last line of my rant was about my inability to reliably use the chat function to discuss my issues with a representative because of the garbage internet they installed.

I find this incredibly shocking and aggravating. Why companies continue to employ guys like this, I’ll never understand. And we have some in our office who may not be this bad, but aren’t cut out for this job. I’m so sorry that you had such a bad experience

No reason for you to be sorry about any of it. I don't expect anything to ever be fixed with my service and I'm not gonna bother with it at this point. I'm just ranting and explaining why I'm so against Dish from my own experience with them.

I didn't say it had anything to do with the TV service. The last line of my rant was about my inability to reliably use the chat function to discuss my issues with a representative because of the garbage internet they installed. ...

Then just cancel! Nobody is forcing you to continue with DISH or the internet that DISH may have installed but isn't from DISH. The internet service is either from Hughesnet or Viasat and if you don't like that you should cancel that too.

Couple of suggestions, buy a can of compressed and blow out the dust with it. Purchase a laptop cooling pad and put in under your hopper to make sure plenty of air is available, just make sure you can disable all the fancy lights.

Amazon product ASIN B00NNMB3KS
I bought a laptop cooling fan and it worked beautifully......, for about three weeks. Then the Hopper 3 started re-booting itself again. I've had this problem since Feburary. Dish has replaced three boxes and sent two technicians out. The problem persists.

Better cooling luck will probably be had by using a 3-5 inch 120volt axial cooling fan.

I have used the same PQfan from Home Theater Cooling for about 12 years now from my VIP622 to my present Hopper3 with no cooling problems. The PQfan is no longer available but a similar fan (5 inch diameter, 29DBA, 120V, 50cfm) should work fine.

I have it pulling warm air out of the right side of my H3 so the intake air is distributed from every possible case opening instead of being blown in at one spot.
PQfan.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts