Hopper 3 H301 Software

So I came across this little gem on page 7 of the DPH42 instruction pdf (that I downloaded from Solid Signal's website):
"Warning: Do not install a Hopper 3 receiver unless it is preloaded with production software version U337 or later."

I bring this up, because the average user is probably not going to know that H301 is newer software than U337. So, this could cause confusion. Therefore, I suggest that Dish should change the version number for the Hopper 3 software to a number higher than 337 as soon as possible, and/or update that instruction manual to make it clear that we are looking for H software now.

So I came across this little gem on page 7 of the DPH42 instruction pdf (that I downloaded from Solid Signal's website):
"Warning: Do not install a Hopper 3 receiver unless it is preloaded with production software version U337 or later."

I bring this up, because the average user is probably not going to know that H301 is newer software than U337. So, this could cause confusion. Therefore, I suggest that Dish should change the version number for the Hopper 3 software to a number higher than 337 as soon as possible, and/or update that instruction manual to make it clear that we are looking for H software now.
"Good Catch!"
I saw that when I was getting ready for my Dual H3 install and was told I'd have to have the DPH42. In looking for anything that might be an issue I grabbed the same manual from them. So when I bought my second H3 from Solid Signal I made sure to ask about FW/SW versions to make sure that the unit was loaded properly. It was. But I was hoping that the Installer would swap out the LNB to the new one that didn't need the DPH42. But no. So does this affect the DPH-LNB?

There's a lot in the fine print. But when things get changed without taking things like this into consideration, it can really be a big deal in many ways.

Reactions: charlesrshell
But I was hoping that the Installer would swap out the LNB to the new one that didn't need the DPH42. But no. So does this affect the DPH-LNB?
A couple of members here have reported recently that they were able to use a DPH LNB with a DPH42 switch to successfully install a two-Hopper 3 setup. So, this is another area where the DPH42 manual may be outdated, since it specifically says that the DPH42 will not work with a DPH LNB. Or, this may simply be a case where a particular configuration is not "supported" by Dish, but it does in fact work.

As far as being able to connect two Hopper 3's to a DPH LNB without using a DPH42 switch, that still will not work as far as I know. The switch is still necessary to support the total 32 tuners of two Hopper 3's, since the DPH LNB by itself only supports 16 tuners.

"Good Catch!"
I saw that when I was getting ready for my Dual H3 install and was told I'd have to have the DPH42. In looking for anything that might be an issue I grabbed the same manual from them. So when I bought my second H3 from Solid Signal I made sure to ask about FW/SW versions to make sure that the unit was loaded properly. It was. But I was hoping that the Installer would swap out the LNB to the new one that didn't need the DPH42. But no. So does this affect the DPH-LNB?

There's a lot in the fine print. But when things get changed without taking things like this into consideration, it can really be a big deal in many ways.
It doesn't matter which SW version is on the Hopper out of the box, it gets updated to the newest versions on install.

It doesn't matter which SW version is on the Hopper out of the box, it gets updated to the newest versions on install.
It might not matter now, but at the time those instructions were written it was relevant. If the Hopper 3 has a software version older than the one listed, it is so outdated that it will not even recognize the DPH42 switch. If that is the case, and you hook up a Hopper 3 with the outdated software to a DPH42 switch, it would not be able to get the satellite signal in order to do the update to the latest software. It would need to be hooked up to a DPH LNB first, and then take the software update before it could successfully be hooked up through a DPH42 switch. So, if you have a Hopper 3 that has stayed in its box since 2016 and never had its software updated, this would be an issue.

My point was that with the current version number now being lower than the version number listed in those instructions (and with new customers not necessarily knowing that H software is newer than U software) this instruction could lead to confusion. So, someone could have a brand new Hopper 3 with the latest software already on it, and still think that it will not work with the DPH42 switch, or think that extra steps would be necessary to update its software first. That is the part that the instructions should be updated to clarify, in my opinion.

"SOAK RELEASE?!"
Yes, that's Dish's actual term for an early software release that goes out to Dish employees and a limited selection of other people, before the full-scale public release. It is basically a Beta version where the release is not limited to only the full-time Beta testers, so it also goes out to a slightly larger group for testing.

Yes, that's Dish's actual term for an early software release that goes out to Dish employees and a limited selection of other people, before the full-scale public release. It is basically a Beta version where the release is not limited to only the full-time Beta testers, so it also goes out to a slightly larger group for testing.
I know all too well. I was being facetious. I was a Beta in the early days. And now for other manufacturers and types of gear. I get "soaked" daily. Sometimes several times a day from many directions. Usually it's from the East. It's hazard of the job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)