Hopper 3 H344 Update

Reactions: charlesrshell
I saw that post a while ago, Scott. But it doesn't tell me where this video player is. As I stated, there used to be a video player on the HWS (I'm sure you remember it) that went away. Are you saying the video player is only on the android attachment box?
I believe you mean the player that existed for playing media off of a local server or computer that got removed years ago... …that is (unfortunately) not what is being talked about here. The video player alluded to is the internal one used to play non-satellite media, so channels being streamed over the internet as well as On-Demand content. That is what got updated.

My H3 automatically updated from H343 to H344 last Friday morning and has had a new problem ever since.

When I turn the H3 on in the morning (out of standby), there is no video or audio. All of the menus and guide info work perfectly. Sometimes changing channels several times will bring the video/audio back. But mostly I have to just reboot to fix it. Once I tried doing a sat test to see if that would help thinking it might have to do with all the 129 channel movement. But it crashed in the middle of that and rebooted on its own. Otherwise everything else seems to be just fine.

• Sad
Reactions: Almighty1
My H3 automatically updated from H343 to H344 last Friday morning and has had a new problem ever since.

When I turn the H3 on in the morning (out of standby), there is no video or audio. All of the menus and guide info work perfectly. Sometimes changing channels several times will bring the video/audio back. But mostly I have to just reboot to fix it. Once I tried doing a sat test to see if that would help thinking it might have to do with all the 129 channel movement. But it crashed in the middle of that and rebooted on its own. Otherwise everything else seems to be just fine.

This happens every day when you take your receiver out of standby?

It’s not quite that predictable. Maybe 50%-60% of the time. And just to add to the confusion, it has not happened in the last two days when brought it out of standby in the morning.

Okay. Let me know if you determine any sort of pattern or trigger to make that happen and we can investigate here.

Realistically this software has ~1 month left on it's lifespan and then we're moving into 355/356 depending on what we determine to be the most stable.

Okay. Let me know if you determine any sort of pattern or trigger to make that happen and we can investigate here.

Realistically this software has ~1 month left on it's lifespan and then we're moving into 355/356 depending on what we determine to be the most stable.
Thanks Josh. I will keep an eye out for any kind of pattern. I’m suspicious that this maybe somehow related to all of the 129 movements and shutdown. But that is only a vague guess and have no hard evidence of that.

On a related note… Is it possible we could start getting some kind of release notes or statements on new versions when they come out? Nothing highly (or confidential) detailed. Just something that would let us know what changed and where to focus more testing effort on.

And before anyone jumps in to say how inappropriate they think it is for Dish to make us their “beta test subjects”, being in the business, developing and testing this kind of SW is harder than it looks. Any SW that interacts with the real world in realtime is always fraught with hidden corner cases. There is only so much testing the factory can do to find these kind of cases before you have to put it out to the real world to find out what actually happens. We could argue about how well or not Dish does with its first offerings (I think on the whole fairly well), but that is a separate discussion. There will always be issues that will (for whatever reasons) never be found in the lab. And that’s what real world beta testing is all about.

The crowd that inhabits these boards are knowledgeable and well suited to be a first-release sounding board before being released to the general public. And having better release insight (in the form of general notes) for this crowd could help get better releases to the general public.

Thanks Josh. I will keep an eye out for any kind of pattern. I’m suspicious that this maybe somehow related to all of the 129 movements and shutdown. But that is only a vague guess and have no hard evidence of that.

On a related note… Is it possible we could start getting some kind of release notes or statements on new versions when they come out? Nothing highly (or confidential) detailed. Just something that would let us know what changed and where to focus more testing effort on.

And before anyone jumps in to say how inappropriate they think it is for Dish to make us their “beta test subjects”, being in the business, developing and testing this kind of SW is harder than it looks. Any SW that interacts with the real world in realtime is always fraught with hidden corner cases. There is only so much testing the factory can do to find these kind of cases before you have to put it out to the real world to find out what actually happens. We could argue about how well or not Dish does with its first offerings (I think on the whole fairly well), but that is a separate discussion. There will always be issues that will (for whatever reasons) never be found in the lab. And that’s what real world beta testing is all about.

The crowd that inhabits these boards are knowledgeable and well suited to be a first-release sounding board before being released to the general public. And having better release insight (in the form of general notes) for this crowd could help get better releases to the general public.

I can't commit to posting what is in each version as they come out because I'm pretty bad at keeping up with this forum in the first place - and I'd rather not set a standard for something and then not be able to live up to it.

I can't commit to posting what is in each version as they come out because I'm pretty bad at keeping up with this forum in the first place - and I'd rather not set a standard for something and then not be able to live up to it.
I talked to a DISH rep yesterday who was clueless about software versions and maintained my frequent black screens and reboots meant I need a replacement H3.

Also he was unaware of Satelliteguys. Looks this would be a valuable resource to the techs.

I talked to a DISH rep yesterday who was clueless about software versions and maintained my frequent black screens and reboots meant I need a replacement H3.

Also he was unaware of Satelliteguys. Looks this would be a valuable resource to the techs.

What software are you on now? If you're on 355 the blackscreens/reboots are very top priority and they have a couple of fixes coming out in the upcoming days ahead.

Realistically speaking our tech reps are bound to their tools which take IT dev time to update - this new software is moving quickly as they identify bugs/fixes and it is almost impossible to keep the agents up to date outside of one source that I control.

The source I control they have to actually look at (it's tied to their troubleshooting tool) and more importantly comprehend.

Overall this is a very unusual situation and we're trying to be agile with communication and fixes but the timing of the major network outage obliterated a lot of the leeway we had to get all of this software out on time.

There is a very important season of a certain sport upcoming with a certain package being made more widely available and there is support for that in the works - I will not provide specifics as I am definitely not allowed to but just keep that deadline in mind!

Thanks for your patience, hang in there, keep providing feedback and I'll keep doing everything I can to communicate what's going on from our end - and I'll keep working to push issues you all are seeing for resolution.

A little more data. The black screen hadn’t occurred for awhile, but then it occurred the last two morning in a row. So I still don’t see a pattern. However, one additional detail for this morning. Even though the video audio was blank when brought out of standby. But a program was being recorded at the same time. To my surprise, the recording was fine with full video and audio. Again, a reboot fixed the issue.

It made me wonder, since the turner that was being used for the recording worked OK, but the turner live viewing was not, what diagnostics would you suggest I look at if I get this again?