Hopper 3 in rv

Sassyme

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
MT
Moving from home to rv full time, and traveling. Frustrated. Some people say they have used their hopper 3 in rv. Dish says you cannot. We called our local installer and he said to call dish to do a dish move. I hate calling dish! Dish wants to cancel home then buy all new equipment for rv from them. I guess we will do what we have to do but I don't give up my hopper 3 without a fight lol. Can anyone tell me once and for all what to do.

Moving from home to rv full time, and traveling. Frustrated. Some people say they have used their hopper 3 in rv. Dish says you cannot. We called our local installer and he said to call dish to do a dish move. I hate calling dish! Dish wants to cancel home then buy all new equipment for rv from them. I guess we will do what we have to do but I don't give up my hopper 3 without a fight lol. Can anyone tell me once and for all what to do.
Brussam will be right along. He's a full time RVer with Hopper 3s. Do not cancel your account and there is no need to buy new interior equipment.

We have a Hopper 3 and two Joeys that we move between our Bounder (summer home) and our Travel Supreme trailer (winter home).

Thi is one area where the Dish CSRs are not well trained.

First is what dish do you plan on using with the RV?
If a Winegard Trav'ler, you will need to add a Dish DPH-42 Switch which will convert the Trav'ler dish to have Hybrid signals for the Hopper 3.

If RF Mogul automatic roof dish, it can be ordered with the Hybrid LNBF head.

If using a ground tripod, the Hybrid heads for the DPP 1000.2 are needed. For full coverage of the United States, a WA (satellites 119, 110, 129) and an EA (72.7, 61.5) heads are needed.

None of the dome dishes, roof or ground are suitable to use with a Hopper 3 for many reasons.

Once I know what you plan on for an RV, I can give more recommendations for wiring.

We have a Hopper 3 and two Joeys that we move between our Bounder (summer home) and our Travel Supreme trailer (winter home).

Thi is one area where the Dish CSRs are not well trained.

First is what dish do you plan on using with the RV?
If a Winegard Trav'ler, you will need to add a Dish DPH-42 Switch which will convert the Trav'ler dish to have Hybrid signals for the Hopper 3.

If RF Mogul automatic roof dish, it can be ordered with the Hybrid LNBF head.

If using a ground tripod, the Hybrid heads for the DPP 1000.2 are needed. For full coverage of the United States, a WA (satellites 119, 110, 129) and an EA (72.7, 61.5) heads are needed.

None of the dome dishes, roof or ground are suitable to use with a Hopper 3 for many reasons.

Once I know what you plan on for an RV, I can give more recommendations for wiring.
We just bought a landmark 365. It says it comes prewired for windegard. But we are open to whatever will help us keep our hopper and 2 joeys. Large tv in living room, one in kitchen and one in bedroom. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Is your 365 new or used, if used what year?
Ask questions of the dealership and the factory as to what grade of cable was used for pre wire. Then verify with your eyes on the markings on the cables.
Next determine where each cable originates and where it terminates. IE roof to satellite box location (Hopper 3).
Next wait for Brussman to chime in since I only had VIPs and original Hoppers in my RV. It couldn't be done then either. It was probably the tenth CSR/dealer who happened to be in customer retention who finally figured out how to make it happen. You will need to get with whoever is installing your dish to properly wire and connect everything including your Hopper and Joeys preferably near your current service address. Everything should just work. You may have to do a check switch. After you are comfortably traveling go on line and change your service address to wherever you happen to be. You may have to call Dish to activate the new service location. I might not even mention the term RV when talking to Dish.

Another thought. If you will normally be watching the same show in the front and the kitchen, you can buy an HDMI spliter like I did and run an HDMI cable to both TVs and eliminate the cost of one Joey.

The Lanmark is probably wired with one coax cable to the living room and another to the bedroom. Assuming that, you can put the DPH-42 switch on the roof where the three coax cables from the Trav'ler go into the DPH42-switch and the output uses the coax to the living room. Assuming the living room space where the Hopper 3 would go, there is an HDMI cable to the main TV.

Now the next question is there a coax from where the Hopper 3 is, actually where the Solo Hub is, to the bedroom? If not, there is probably coax cabling for the OTA antenna that runs to all the TVs which can be re-purposed for the MOCA network to the Joeys. One Joey for the bedroom, one for the kitchen.

For OTA, get an OTA adapter for the Hopper 3 and let it distribute OTA to the other TVs.

Something easier, instead of worrying about cabling, find a direct line to the hopper location and trade those Joeys in for Wireless Joeys with a Wireless Access Point

Reactions: Sassyme
Is your 365 new or used, if used what year?
Ask questions of the dealership and the factory as to what grade of cable was used for pre wire. Then verify with your eyes on the markings on the cables.
Next determine where each cable originates and where it terminates. IE roof to satellite box location (Hopper 3).
Next wait for Brussman to chime in since I only had VIPs and original Hoppers in my RV. It couldn't be done then either. It was probably the tenth CSR/dealer who happened to be in customer retention who finally figured out how to make it happen. You will need to get with whoever is installing your dish to properly wire and connect everything including your Hopper and Joeys preferably near your current service address. Everything should just work. You may have to do a check switch. After you are comfortably traveling go on line and change your service address to wherever you happen to be. You may have to call Dish to activate the new service location. I might not even mention the term RV when talking to Dish.
Its New. we actually don't pick it up for two more weeks and its 7oo miles away, We have to turn off service for this address since we sold the house , or do we? Trying to find a local installer is hard, they just say call dish.

I would. If the new owners want Dish, they'll see a conflict with the address, or transfer service to a permanent address you can use

Well you will have to have an address as a full-timer. Have you see that up yet? So you transfer the S&B Billing Address to where you new Mailing Address will be.

You will transfer the Service Address also. That will change as you move around.

Actually when I had my first Hopper installed, Dish would not do it and I had to call a local installer. Now I was having an equipment change so the local installer was getting the fees involved. The local installer was glad to have the job as I was the first in the Rio Grande Valley to have a Hopper and the installer got to put into practice the training he had had.

You already have the equipment which is a negative to the local installer. You may have to push this as a Dish Mover deal. You have the equipment and you are moving.

When I did the Hopper 3 install, Dish wanted to do that. I let the installer use my tripod dish to put the Hybrid head on and just didn't mention the Trav'ler. This isn't the worse thing because having a tripod dish to the few times trees get in the way of the Trav'ler is a good thing. Also in the EA areas, I use the tripod instead of the Trav'ler.

After the installed was gone, I change the wiring behind the Hopper to include the switches I use to toggle between the Trav'ler and the ground tripod. Dish Installer freak over having switches in the coax cabling. But then work fine.

Having Dish install gets the cabling for the Joeys in place. Adding the Trav'ler is easy.

Reactions: HipKat
Many thanks to all of you. You definatly have answered a lot of my questions. From we will temporarily go to a local rv park, before heading south in November, so we can use that as our new physical address for the install then I'm assuming. And yes we have set up our mail forwarding . So maybe we are on the right track so far. I will let you know how it all goes . Thanks again.

Dish probably won't know what a Traveler is.
Find someone who sells and installs the Traveler and have them hook everything up. If they are not familiar with the Dish Hopper 3 install, find another source. Where will you be when you pick up your RV? Someone here may know of an installer near you.
I do not recommend Camping World for doing anything that requires touching an RV. Been there done that.

How can you avoid Camping World? They've bought out just about all competitors, save the actual RV dealerships.

As far as I know, Dish still does not support installing any DVR receivers in RV's, although certainly many of us have done so with no problems. You may have no choice other than an RV dealer or local independent Dish installer, assuming you can find a local that will do it.

Reactions: ae4ac
I had Camping World in San Antonio install the Trav'ler on my Bounder and they did a fine job. To blanket malign all of Camping World dealers makes no more sense that to say any RV dealer is bad.

You would be surprised on how few Trav'ler installers are familiar with Hopper 3 installs. I know I looked.

As an RVer, you need a certain amount of self reliance and be prepared to do some work yourself.

I had Camping World in San Antonio install the Trav'ler on my Bounder and they did a fine job. To blanket malign all of Camping World dealers makes no more sense that to say any RV dealer is bad.

You would be surprised on how few Trav'ler installers are familiar with Hopper 3 installs. I know I looked.

As an RVer, you need a certain amount of self reliance and be prepared to do some work yourself.

You are correct.
I only had problems with the five locations that I allowed to work on 2 RVs. And none of their work killed anyone, but the one who installed the towing system on my towed came close when the base plate tore off the front bumper, almost allowing the towed to separate from the RV. I was lucky enough to find the problem at a fuel stop just before the last bit let go.

Dish probably won't know what a Traveler is.
Find someone who sells and installs the Traveler and have them hook everything up. If they are not familiar with the Dish Hopper 3 install, find another source. Where will you be when you pick up your RV? Someone here may know of an installer near you.
I do not recommend Camping World for doing anything that requires touching an RV. Been there done that.
we live in Kalispell Montana and the rv is in Arlington Washington

As far as I know, Dish still does not support installing any DVR receivers in RV's, although certainly many of us have done so with no problems. You may have no choice other than an RV dealer or local independent Dish installer, assuming you can find a local that will do it.
Your right I called dish today to turn service off at the sold house and got the run around again.They wont do a dish move to and rv either they said. So we will ask another local installer Again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)