Hopper 3 manual dish aim for RV question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Hgarraway

Original poster
May 13, 2019
Petal, Ms
Has anyone here successfully used the Hopper 3 built-in signal strength audio function to find the satellites?

I currently am a DirecTV subscriber, wishing to switch, and use the Satoolz app (also available for Dish) to find a hole in the trees, the Dish Align app to find azimuth, a leveled TV4RV tripod, and wireless headphones connected to the TV to aim my HD Slimline Dish.

This method has worked well for me and I would appreciate any advice from anyone who uses this or a similar method for finding the satellites while using a Hopper 3 and tripod-based dish while RVing.

I would prefer to not have to purchase an installer grade device like the Super Buddy 29 etc.

Thanks in advance

Well I tried in the beginning and it did not work. I had an Accutrac 22 Pro and a First Strike FS1, neither would work with a Hybrid LNBF (Hopper 3). You have to be really in the ball park, aiming wise, to get through the Switch Check and until you do the switch check, there is no meter display to work with.

Now I usually use the Winegard Trav'ler on the roof to get the satellite signals but every once in a while the trees just make using the Trav'ler impossible.

And I have great tools for aiming. I use a TV4RV.com HD tripod, I have an Align-a-Site (no longer available) which make getting in the ball park fairly easy. But it was not good enough.

I bought a Super Buddy 29 and my only regret was that I wish I had had it from the beginning.

Since then, the DPH42-Switch was released which allows a DPP 1000.2/4 dish with DPP LNBFs to be used with the Hopper 3. You can use older meters to aim the dish using the coax before the DPH-42 Switch.

But trust me the $300-$400 for an used Super Buddy 29 is far better investment than a $100 non-hybrid meter.

Well I tried in the beginning and it did not work. I had an Accutrac 22 Pro and a First Strike FS1, neither would work with a Hybrid LNBF (Hopper 3). You have to be really in the ball park, aiming wise, to get through the Switch Check and until you do the switch check, there is no meter display to work with.

Now I usually use the Winegard Trav'ler on the roof to get the satellite signals but every once in a while the trees just make using the Trav'ler impossible.

And I have great tools for aiming. I use a TV4RV.com HD tripod, I have an Align-a-Site (no longer available) which make getting in the ball park fairly easy. But it was not good enough.

I bought a Super Buddy 29 and my only regret was that I wish I had had it from the beginning.

Since then, the DPH42-Switch was released which allows a DPP 1000.2/4 dish with DPP LNBFs to be used with the Hopper 3. You can use older meters to aim the dish using the coax before the DPH-42 Switch.

But trust me the $300-$400 for an used Super Buddy 29 is far better investment than a $100 non-hybrid meter.

Brussam, Thanks for the detailed response! I was afraid that the process might be a little more complicated than what I'm doing now with DirecTV. I guess I need to look at a Trav'ler and perhaps mounting it on a little robot like SWAT teams use, well, maybe a Radio Flyer wagon.

Reactions: pattykay

Question for you (yes< see this is a year old, but searching leads me to this thread).

I'm new to trying to align a dish 1000.2EA with a hopper 3
Been doing it for years with a First Strike meter for my DirecTV, easily.

When you mention "switch check" is that on the diagnostic screen for the Hopper 3?

Does this mean you can't use the FS meter until you can pass this switch check?
DirecTV I didn't even need the receiver, just a power inserter to power the LNB

Thanks in advance
Duane

The issue is the Hybrid LNBF head of the dish for the Hopper 3. The FS-1 does not generate what is needed for driving the Hybrid LNBF. Only the Applied Instruments units have this capability that I know of.

Yes on the Hopper 3 the Switch Check is the Test Settings on the Diagnostics page under Settings.

I have a Super Buddy 29 I am no longer using if you are interested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts