Hopper 3 Not Compatible with International Channels?

avaswa

Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Hi,

I just had an online chat with the Customer Rep to upgrade to the Hopper 3. I was told that I would never be able to add International Channels if I upgraded to the Hopper 3. Right now I get my International Channels through Sling TV, but I want to keep option to switch back to my Dish subscription if I ever need to.

I was told that once I upgraded to the Hopper 3, I would never be able to receive international channels because there is a piece of equipment that goes on the Dish that does not support this capability. Right now there are no future plans to support international channels & even if newer equipment did, I would never be able to get it because of that "piece of equipment".

I want to validate if this true? If it is, it's a total bummer because I will never upgrade to the Hopper 3.

Really, I find that really hard to believe, if true. That would be a huge miss, if so and would prevent me from upgrading too. Is this a limited time issue?

I will confirm later today.

Called and heard that some channel incompatibilities for certain regions. Mine is included too. So although I do qualify for the free upgrade, I won't be upgrading currently too. They did know enough to go into details on what or why. Maybe I will ask the DIRT person who contacted me via PM.
Very surprising and disappointing.

Hi,

I just had an online chat with the Customer Rep to upgrade to the Hopper 3. I was told that I would never be able to add International Channels if I upgraded to the Hopper 3. Right now I get my International Channels through Sling TV, but I want to keep option to switch back to my Dish subscription if I ever need to.

I was told that once I upgraded to the Hopper 3, I would never be able to receive international channels because there is a piece of equipment that goes on the Dish that does not support this capability. Right now there are no future plans to support international channels & even if newer equipment did, I would never be able to get it because of that "piece of equipment".

I want to validate if this true? If it is, it's a total bummer because I will never upgrade to the Hopper 3.
I find it very strange that even diagrams show connection of a wing dish for 118 yet people with international programming continue to be excluded from H3 upgrades. There are even people here that have a working H3, 1000.2 w/ Hybrid LNB and 118 wing dish (with old LNB without the switch).

As far as 77 orbital position goes, a wing dish should work there also. Too bad EA eliminated that orbital position even though there is a tiny bit of programming still on it exclusively.

There have been reports that the newer version with internal switch do not work with the Hybrid LNB. It could be that the old 500+ LNB without the internal switch are no longer stocked by Dish, forcing them to take the position of no international with H3.

I just got my upgrade to the H3 today and I have Jadeworld Chinese Cantonese Programming along with the America Top 250 package. On my Hopper 2K, it was installed with a DISH 500+ antenna and DPP 500+ switch with 110/118/119 but no 129. Today, they installed a new 1000.2 antenna and also used my existing Dish 500+ antenna as I have 110/118/119/129 now.

I just got my upgrade to the H3 today and I have Jadeworld Chinese Cantonese Programming along with the America Top 250 package. On my Hopper 2K, it was installed with a DISH 500+ antenna and DPP 500+ switch with 110/118/119 but no 129. Today, they installed a new 1000.2 antenna and also used my existing Dish 500+ antenna as I have 110/118/119/129 now.
There are two versions of the 500+/1000+ dishes:

The old 500+ dish/LNB combination would have needed an external switch (either a DPP 44 or a DPP 33). The old 1000+ has a separate LNB for 129 and would therefore use a DPP44 to receive all 4 orbital positions.

The new 500+ dish/LNB has an internal switch so the outputs normally go directly to the receiver(s) (or a node in the case of Hopper). The new 1000+ still has a separate LNB for 129 but it plugs into the LNB in on the 500+ LNB/switch.

Did you have the old or new configuration? If you had the new configuration, did the LNB get replaced to the older one?

It's clear that with the old configuration, the 118 LNB would connect to the LNB in on the 1000.2 dish. But we have yet to hear of a working system that incorporates the new 500+ LNB/switch.

Please let us know if you can. Thanks.

I have no idea what configuration I have. The 500+ was installed on 11/17/2012 when Jadeworld moved from D*TV to DISH. Never knew there were two versions as the installation doc I was looking at here a few days ago:
http://caottimail.com/InstallationReference.pdf

My DISH is actually on the front side of the house which is the Northern side and I can only see the back of the DISH as it is pointing at the back of my house which is south not the front. The doc seems to indicate that there is some LNB you can add to the 500+ to get 129 which mines doesn't have. I wonder how many channels I had been missing in the America Top 250 package. I had no idea what was done today except the guy only spoke to me in Chinese Cantonese 100% of the time and said both the DISH 1000.2 and the 500+ are being used at the same time, I don't even know how it's connected.

Last edited:
Vivek has confirmed that 118 will be easily supported with the release of switch in Q4 of this year. However, support of 118 can also be supported by using a wing reflector for 118. However, while 118 can be technically supported, it seems Dish CSR's are saying there is no way to support 118, as per what they read on the computer system they use. However, DIRT has been able to facilitate an H3 install supporting 118.

Personally, I think this is a MONEY roadblock. The addition of a wing reflector is sufficiently costly to Dish that they do not want to install them, unless they really have to. Follow up with DIRT. If they say no, and I do not think they have been, then you are out of options.

Of course, all this is presuming you CURRENTLY subscribe to Internationals at the 118 slot. If that is not the case, Dish will not integrate 118 in your upgrade because the additional cost to do so is unnecessary. One can't blame Dish for a sound business decision.

Reactions: TheKrell
I have internationals and had another dish installed along with my current setup. I am in California, and the installer put a 1000.2 for my internationals, and I suspect that my old dish is the 500+ which had the dpp44 switch, which they replaced for the hybrid and then combined the two LNB's.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have internationals and had another dish installed along with my current setup. I am in California, and the installer put a 1000.2 for my internationals, and I suspect that my old dish is the 500+ which had the dpp44 switch, which they replaced for the hybrid and then combined the two LNB's.
Are you saying DISH installed a Hybrid LNB on a 500+ dish?

Vivek has confirmed that 118 will be easily supported with the release of switch in Q4 of this year. However, support of 118 can also be supported by using a wing reflector for 118. However, while 118 can be technically supported, it seems Dish CSR's are saying there is no way to support 118, as per what they read on the computer system they use. However, DIRT has been able to facilitate an H3 install supporting 118.

Personally, I think this is a MONEY roadblock. The addition of a wing reflector is sufficiently costly to Dish that they do not want to install them, unless they really have to. Follow up with DIRT. If they say no, and I do not think they have been, then you are out of options.

Of course, all this is presuming you CURRENTLY subscribe to Internationals at the 118 slot. If that is not the case, Dish will not integrate 118 in your upgrade because the additional cost to do so is unnecessary. One can't blame Dish for a sound business decision.

Is there anyone that can help connect me with a DIRT rep to help me get a Hopper 3 upgrade? I am a top Dish customer who has been trying for months to get a Hopper 3 upgrade but am getting nowhere with Dish CSRs because I have an Italian international package. If it is true I could get the upgrade with an extra dish I would really appreciate help from a DIRT member to make it happen. Thank you so much in advance.

What is Dish's reasoning for maintaining the international channels on 118.7?
Is it a capacity problem on the other EA and WA satellites?
It appears that the present configuration has always created problems and additional costs to install wing dishes for upgrades and installations.

What is Dish's reasoning for maintaining the international channels on 118.7?
Is it a capacity problem on the other EA and WA satellites?
It appears that the present configuration has always created problems and additional costs to install wing dishes for upgrades and installations.
Yes. There are so many internationals that there is NO ROOM to put them at any of the DBS satellites where all other packages reside (118.7 uses Ku FSS band, not the DBS). IMHO, I think the long term plan is for Internationals exclusively available at Dish World, the online service, using the app on a Roku or other connected device. But if I'm right, that won't be for years because Anik F3 is leased until at least another 6 years.

Is there anyone that can help connect me with a DIRT rep to help me get a Hopper 3 upgrade? I am a top Dish customer who has been trying for months to get a Hopper 3 upgrade but am getting nowhere with Dish CSRs because I have an Italian international package. If it is true I could get the upgrade with an extra dish I would really appreciate help from a DIRT member to make it happen. Thank you so much in advance.
The DIRT reps have red colored text for their ID's. You can PM them and they can see if they can do something for you.

Reactions: Paratrp27

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts